Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should americans have national ID cards?
yes 47 37.30%
no 74 58.73%
not sure 5 3.97%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times

Advertisements

As I recall, Butch Napalitano tried to get the Feds to combine Arizonaa Driver Licenses with Border Cards and the Feds shot her down. So I have to wonder about the validity of this rumor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
"Papers please"

This is not Nazi Germany, if I am breaking no law, I am under no obligation to identify myself.
Exactly. Horrible idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Is there a state in the union that doesn't require an ID ?
There are 50, in fact. None require an ID. Nor does the country in general, ie vs for a specific purpose. KEY point right there. ie it's not just the card itself but requiring people to have one. Also the consolidation of it is disturbing. With 50 states doing things their own way, such power is greatly diversified.

I'll pass on taking another step closer to Big Brother.

PS and oh btw: why? ie I don't get how this will supposedly help with illegal aliens (the alleged big selling point)-?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I have mixed feelings on this.

Why not just microchip us all at birth?
One step at a time. And when this comes down the pike people will go "oh don't whine what's the big deal" etc etc.

Be afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Stop whining already. You all already have ID's. This is simply a different one. Fingerprints are taken everywhere, not just for state ID's. And where's the outrage there? Didn't think so. Our ID's are useless. Otherwise we wouldn't have 20 Mil. illegals working in our country.
I'm all for those new ID's!!
That's not because our IDs are "useless," it's because employers (and the gov't) look the other way.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
There are 50, in fact. None require an ID. Nor does the country in general, ie vs for a specific purpose. KEY point right there. ie it's not just the card itself but requiring people to have one. Also the consolidation of it is disturbing. With 50 states doing things their own way, such power is greatly diversified.
Diversified eh? Tell me. What is a social security number? What is it used for? Do you see how it might be a tad inconvenient to not have one? Do you see how maybe a better system/card (instead of a piece of paper with a number on it) might better enable us to determine who is a U.S. citizen and who is not? Can you see how streamlining this might make it easier for employers to hire employees and not have to stress over who is legal and who isn't? Do you see how having one form of identification for EVERYTHING might make life easier and put it in the hands of the federal government to make IDs that are near impossible to duplicate and make fakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000
I'll pass on taking another step closer to Big Brother.

Phhhht, you've already signed on with the social security card, and oh.... That whole wire-tapping thang...... But I guess it's okay so long as they dont' TELL us they're watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000
PS and oh btw: why? ie I don't get how this will supposedly help with illegal aliens (the alleged big selling point)-?

"Hi sir.... I'd like a job."

"Sure, need to see your ID. Fill out this application."

"I don't HAVE an ID."

"Oh....... Well then I don't have a job for you."

Kind of removes incentive for aliens to come here, don'tcha think?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Exactly, if we already have several different types of ID, then why do we need a centralized and manipulative additional FEDERAL ID to supplant the ID's that are meant to protect and identify us already?

For those who disfavor 'big' government, it is indeed a particularly egregious enlargement of said offense.

Curious.
Centralized because it's easier, "manipulative" is a word YOU chose to throw in there...

Dude, the government already has your number. Pretending like this is some big affront to your privacy is a joke...

Old 03-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Imagine one giant database and picture ID cars for the feds to scrutinize. Easy population counts and no problem counting blacks. The feds could also have GPS devices in the ID cards or maybe just follow your cell phone now. But why stop there, let's tattoo an ID on everyone's forehead and that will put a end to fraud. Isn't technology wonderful?

http://boilingpotusa.files.wordpress..._sieg_heil.jpg
And then when the aliens come and Obama peels off that mask and reveals himself as Rang-Lor, leader of the QA3-Nebulan horde we'll all be lined up and ready for orderly extermination...

Old 03-10-2010, 02:34 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,534 times
I voted no because we have someone in the WH who simply cannot be trusted. He wants to be king and control everything.
After 2012 when he is but an unpleasant memory, I would probably voted differently...

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I don't care. My healthcare system has a palm scanner now to identy people. It's optional at this point, and there are still bugs in the system, but that's where technology is taking us. I mean just because it's being talked about now (and has been for years and years btw) doesn't mean "Obama is doing something bad!!!". It's not even an Obama thing, it's just technology like I said. At will still be talked about when a Republican is in the WH too so prepare yourselves.

Last edited by Ceece; 03-10-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Using illegal aliens to "fear monger" people into accepting a national id.

Never waste a good crisis as it is always more attractive to pass more legislation to control law-abiding citizens rather than to enforce current immigration laws passed to address those who enter out borders illegally and those who employ them.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
The burden of proof should be on illegals and NOT American citizens, so I vote HELL NO.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Diversified eh? Tell me. What is a social security number? What is it used for? Do you see how it might be a tad inconvenient to not have one?
Is that why there are all these illegal aliens running around w/o one but still able to get jobs? And how does this relate to my point of having the 50 states do things differently?

Quote:
Do you see how maybe a better system/card (instead of a piece of paper with a number on it) might better enable us to determine who is a U.S. citizen and who is not?
What I see is that it wouldn't matter because businesses and/or the the gov't can still turn a blind eye just as easily. We don't need any "new cards" - just a better implementation of what we already have going and better business practices by employers, and/or better enforcement of legalities in that regard.

Quote:
Can you see how streamlining this might make it easier for employers to hire employees and not have to stress over who is legal and who isn't? Do you see how having one form of identification for EVERYTHING might make life easier and put it in the hands of the federal government to make IDs that are near impossible to duplicate and make fakes?
Can YOU not see the inherent danger in such an extreme "streamlining" ie consolidating of information?

Quote:
Phhhht, you've already signed on with the social security card, and oh.... That whole wire-tapping thang...... But I guess it's okay so long as they dont' TELL us they're watching?
If the gov't is watching me they must be awfully bored.

PS and FYI I do not have a social security card. Haven't for years. It's never come up.

Quote:
"Hi sir.... I'd like a job."

"Sure, need to see your ID. Fill out this application."

"I don't HAVE an ID."

"Oh....... Well then I don't have a job for you."

Kind of removes incentive for aliens to come here, don'tcha think?
No, not for a second, because again a lot of employers aren't saying what you claim they are above.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies