Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well gee, perhaps respect and appreciation for your elders is a good start.

Respect has to be earned . I'm an old woman and I haven't seem much for these kids to honor .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

But the dream his hitting cold, hard reality far earlier than it used to, it seems. How will the death of the "american dream" among the youth of the country change our society? It is a more or less permanent change? How do you encourage your kids to be successful?
I don't have kids but when I was in my 20s I figured that if I was going to be successful I needed to work harder, study more, and simply do things others would not do. And here I am...

Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Yes I agree but if you're raised in a society that dismisses the input of anyone over 15 as crap I'd say you've not quite caught on to how to actually be respectful of either yourself OR anyone else for that matter.

Being dismissive of someone's life experience based on age probably isn't going to help you much either way.

Kids live what they learn and we haven't been very watchful .

We put these people in office for past 60 years that have destroyed their future and morals .

Old 03-11-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I don't have kids but when I was in my 20s I figured that if I was going to be successful I needed to work harder, study more, and simply do things others would not do. And here I am...

Here we all are . I don't see too many things to make me hopefull . I see a nation that has committed suicide by complacentcy and greed .

Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Respect has to be earned . I'm an old woman and I haven't seem much for these kids to honor .
Well I feel sorry for you then.

I've always had an appreciation for my elders and I've rarely been disappointed. They've been my friends, my confidants, my saviours and I've always reciprocated.

Being around them and actually "talking" to them, sharing discussions and life in general has had a massively positive impact on all our lives.

IN order for it to be earned there has to at least be a willingness to see the other person's point of view. In a society that is so youth orientated all I see is a tendency to dismiss as old fashioned and irrelevant anything that doesn't revolve soley and wholy around "me" and my very important and ground breaking youth.

And quite apart from that it was Chango's dismissiveness of the trials that older people have suffered in their lives that I objected to. Didn't see much effort at being respectful there.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Because they are spoiled brats who have no idea what comprises "hard times" and have had everything handed to them easily.

I'm not old enough to tell the 8 miles in the snow uphill stories both ways. There is no need for such condescention on your part. I suspect such an additude is one of the reasons some members of the "current generation" are falling flat on their faces. It difficult to see the road ahead when one's nose is stuck-up in the air. Try a little humility with breakfast to start the day and understand you are not born with wisdom, that it is something gained with experience and age. Shut the mouth, open the ears, and learn from those who have real wisdom to share.

Get rid of the "entitlement society" and the entitlement mentality of suburbia. Period.

Life is not fair, get over it. No one is owed anything in this life but the rights which have been endowed to them by their Creator. After that, life is what you make it.

More people with college degrees are in the workforce than any time in history. Try harder and work harder than the other guy/gal. Degrees are only part of the equation. One must actually have a number of skill sets and be able and willing to utilize them well.

The current generation CAN fall flat on their faces because Mommy & Daddy are there to let them move back OR the federal government will bail them out. Case in point: the extention of unemployment benefits. People out of work today receive MORE than they have paid into unemployment.

Just because one doesn't land the career job one might hope for right out of college doesn't mean that there aren't jobs out there. Some actually required getting the hands dirty and leave an individual physically drained at the end of the day.
yes we're all "spoiled brats" and you're the poster child for overcoming hardships with hardwork and dedication, we should honor you with some sort of shrine or statue, or eternal flame and praise the way you've led your life. get off your high horse.
clearly you're out of touch with reality and the hardships we as young people are facing... 10-15 years ago a bachelors degree meant a guaranteed job after college.. in the 1950s, there wasnt even a fraction of the competition there is now for jobs. now you have kids graduating and not being able to land jobs, goin months without starting their careers and having to fall back on retail jobs and so on to make ends meet. at no point in time have young people in college or new college graduates had to face the competition they're facing now, from China, Japan, Taiwan, India, as well as the european countries. the economy, government, globalization, technology, all these things factor in now more than any other time that preceded the current generation.
i suppose the 10.4% current unemployment rate is our fault as well right
that means 30 million or so Americans of working age are unemployed. companies are much less willing to offer internships to college students because it is no longer in their budget to take on any students. so its our fault that there is no viable way to get career experience during college too i suppose.. and once we finally do graduate, we go into the crappiest job market in recent history, with huge numbers of people applying for the same position.. if you'd ever been to a university career fair you'd see the number of people applying for one position.. and that is just the people you see at 1 university, not including everybody else in the area who sees the same job posting.
and despite all this, i've not once heard any of my fellow students saying anything or insinuating that they're "entitled" to a job, internship or career during or after college. i doubt you know what the college environment is like though, considering your "additude" and the content in your post

Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Because they are spoiled brats .
Well now, who's fault is this? Certainly a child can't spoil himself.

Here is what I and a few of my friends want. We are around 21 years of age. I find this to be pretty standard beliefs. Mind you it doesn't include those much over the age of 24. It is amazing how much opinions can change over a few years.

We don't want to be responsible to pay for the entire Earth's problems. We are American's, not Earthians, we are sick of intervening in any conflict that arises throughout the world.

We believe all people are created equal, therefore we want an end to affirmative action, bans on gay marriage & adoption and gender preferences, be it in sports (title IX), jobs or college tuition.

We want marijuana legalized. I won't pull any punches, it has nothing to do with medical reasons. (although medical reasons alone are enough to stand on) We know its safer than alcohol, tobacco and medications (ranging from oxycodon to vicodin). We know the reason it's illegal originates in the usefulness of industrial hemp which threatened big oil companies, who produced plastics and other materials in the early 20th century that were less effective than this plant. We know the campaign to ban it was full of racial propaganda and lies. (check it out if you don't believe me)

We resent becoming adults. We think that while the nineties were awesome the 2000s in which we came to age were terrible. We missed out on a care free teenage year's, or even an enjoyable teenage years. The sixties weren't care free, but were certainly a time in which the youth carried sway and options were presented. The seventies, eighties, and nineties seemed to have been largely care free, where you were financially secure from your parents and from what I can perceive, you could still live the old school American dream.

When I was thirteen 9/11 happened. It seems like from that point on, everything changed. From that point people of my generation, from age 13 on have had to deal with the whole "Who's side are you on?" We can't remember a time when the government couldn't find out your library records, couldn't tap your phone without a warrant, etc etc etc.

Hell, nothing to do with 9/11, but your over the hill, "when I was your age" generation told us we couldn't play tag or dodge ball.

Who's fault is it I can't even keep one thought in my head for more than two seconds to make a well flowing post? haha jk on that last one. But not really.

Who's fault is it that we catch so much flack. You complain that we use computers and cell phones all the time, and lack integrity at any level, yet you were the ones that took it all away from us.

You cannot blame a generation for something without blaming the generation that raised them.

Last edited by jufrbo; 03-11-2010 at 12:52 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Kids live what they learn and we haven't been very watchful .

We put these people in office for past 60 years that have destroyed their future and morals .
Look what I see is that there's been a very definite change in society from focus on community to focus on the individual. Individuals are much easier to control as they lack the power of numbers and their very struggle to maintain their individuality can and does isolate them.

As far as I can see ALL politicians for generation after generation have new and interesting ways to make the minions jump through hoops.
One of the best things I ever learned (from an old person btw) is that governments will come and go but you'll still be here trying to live your life. Don't allow them too much power over you, you just have to get on with it DESPITE them.

Frankly I think kids have been watched within an inch of their lives. There is NOTHING they do on a daily basis that isn't open to the public forum. It's got so organized now that they even report "in" on their own or covet and find ways to be watched as though the very thought of being completely alone and unnoticed is more than they can bear.

I agree that it's tough but if people actually spent a bit of time paying attention to their family and loved ones and the people around them instead of deferring to the television and media as the last word in how to manage a "lifestyle" instead of learning from those who have lived how to have an actual LIFE we'd all be a whole lot better off.

As far as I can see ALL the generations need to engage with each other.
My grandparents have suffered no ill effects from being taught how to use those confounded computers AND it's done me absolutely no harm at all to learn how to chop wood and bake things from scratch. Amongst other things.

We all need to focus on what is and not what they're telling us is the way it should be. We live in a culture that breeds insecurity and suspicion. WHY? Because insecurity and suspicion makes products and ideas infinitely more easy to sell.

I'm not buying what they're selling.

I love the old people around me, I love the young people around me, hell I even love the people my own age around me DESPITE the fact they dressed hideously and had shocking haircuts during our formative years (some of them still do now! ) and I simply refuse to "blame" any one generation for the problems of another. We all need to take responsibility for our own lives and be supportive of one another even if we don't understand or can't imagine what it's like to be in someone else's shoes.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The Associated Press: Poll: Financially pinched, young adults lose faith

Being a young adult is supposed to be a time of great optimism when you go out into the wide open with the belief you can conquer the world, or at least a quarter acre of your own in suburbs. The promise that you'll get all the trappings of the "good life" if you work hard are practically engraved the the collective conciousness of the country.

But the dream his hitting cold, hard reality far earlier than it used to, it seems. How will the death of the "american dream" among the youth of the country change our society? It is a more or less permanent change? How do you encourage your kids to be successful?

The young adults of today do not want to be successful, the want to be cared for. They have been brainwashed by the liberals that they are entitled, everyone gets a trophy, everyone is a winner.

Unless we fight hard against liberalism and their propaganda that destroys the competitive spirit the American dream will become a nightmare.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The young adults of today do not want to be successful, the want to be cared for. They have been brainwashed by the liberals that they are entitled, everyone gets a trophy, everyone is a winner.

Unless we fight hard against liberalism and their propaganda that destroys the competitive spirit the American dream will become a nightmare.
I disagree. I compare my kids, 1 just starting college and 1 about to graduate, with me at their age. I was able to find a job with only a high school diploma in a company I would stay with for a dozen years that offered me plenty of opportunities for advancement and benefits. Several years after I was hired they began to require a college degree just to get the entry level positions I was hired into. And now those jobs have all been eliminated.

Plus there is this; I wasn't lazy but I sure didn't have to work too hard to get what I got either. I listen to people talk about their hard work and dedication that got them where they are today and think...maybe. But there was also a lot of people who got jobs easily then just had to show up and do the minimum required and they were set, sometimes for life. That is one reason so many jobs were eliminated when things got really tough and companies had to streamline their operations...WAY too much fat.

My kids aren't lazy. My son has held the same part time job for 3 years and my daughter held 6 different summer jobs while going to high school and college. But these are not jobs they can do full time nor are they something you can make a career out of. Hopefully they WILL be able to find something they can really work hard at. Something they are interested in, that they can feel good about doing, that is something more than just toiling for a buck. That's all they want, and it's what I want for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies