Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
You're still free to drink as much soda whenever and wherever you want. That being said if you spend more than $10 on soda a week, you have problems; you shouldn't be whining about the government
Actually it should be that the government represents me and shouldn't be whining about my harmless activities as it has bigger concerns such as national security,border controls etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Sugar is an addictive poison. But taxing is a bit hypocritical, like saying you may continue to poison yourself as long as you pay for it. Reminds me of the trading in those odd rights to pollute the environment

Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Actually it should be that the government represents me and shouldn't be whining about my harmless activities as it has bigger concerns such as national security,border controls etc.
And you're free to drink as much soda as you want. And soda is not "harmless". The only reason the government even has to spend any extra effort on it is because the fatties of America seem to be making a big deal about a menial tax. Besides, we're funding a 2 front war and practicing Keynes economics. Gotta make money somehow being that the Joe Stacks of this world don't want to pay their taxes.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM

Default More kooky logic

Quote:
And you're free to drink as much soda as you want. And soda is not "harmless". The only reason the government even has to spend any extra effort on it is because the fatties of America seem to be making a big deal about a menial tax. Besides, we're funding a 2 front war and practicing Keynes economics. Gotta make money somehow being that the Joe Stacks of this world don't want to pay their taxes.

If it's harmful eliminate or require a reduction to non lethal levels instead of taxing it.
Better yet and probably more in line with your liberal sensibilities, lets government put all the "fatties" in camps and starve them and claim their assets when they expire.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
If it's harmful eliminate or require a reduction to non lethal levels instead of taxing it.

Are you sure you want to start down that road? There are a LOT of things which are harmful. Should they ALL be restricted or banned?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Quote:
So essentially you're advocating government interference with a corporation and its products. Many people in your party oppose this type of action.

Quote:
Better yet and probably more in line with your liberal sensibilities, lets government put all the "fatties" in camps and starve them and claim their assets when they expire.
Way to put words in people's mouths

You're free to drink all the carbonated poison you want. I personally don't care.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
You're free to drink all the carbonated poison you want. I personally don't care.
So long as you pay the sin tax to do so.

Does anyone honestly believe that this 'tax' will curb people's soda drinking habits? It's just another way for the government to steal your cash.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
So essentially you're advocating government interference with a corporation and its products. Many people in your party oppose this type of action.

Where do I advocate it? I'm pointing out the hypcrisy in your flawed logic.
Way to put words in peoples mouths

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
What do you mean "as many"? Try way, way more. The obesity epidemic is going to bankrupt the US if nothing is done about it.
Big brother loves him some fear tactic and a side of hysterics to get the job done

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Sin taxes are politically "safe" and appeal to the dull brained masses. As long as a tax doesn't affect a person directly they don't see it as another intrusion of a government addicted to taxing/spending other people's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies