Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times

Advertisements

Can someone Please tell me why convicted (admitted) killers are being warehoused in our jails? Examples like Charles Manson, lifers in prison that have killed people while in prison, individuals doing life in solitary confinement b/c they are a threat to everyone, and other mass murderers. Why don't they just execute them? These people waste tax dollars and will never be a part of society (prison or anywhere else).

I know that it is strange but I'm not really a pro-execution type guy, but in some cases ......it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 PM

100 posts, read 244,614 times
I've wondered the same thing too. I understand giving someone the right to appeal but the process shouldn't take 20+years. I consider myself a liberal with exception to being pro-execution. I also believe anyone cnonvicted of a sex crime should also be put to death IMHO.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Why should they be spared the suffering their execution would bring?

Their victims and their victim's families have to live what they did every day of their lives OR deaths.

Death is too good for some of them.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
I just finished a true crime book recently about someone who was given the death penalty in Nevada some years ago. He wanted to be executed ASAP, no appeals.

Well, he got to Death Row and if you're one of these freaks who wants to be executed ASAP, the others on Death Row will make your life a living hell and so will the guards (they have to eat, you know!).

And lawyers will pressure you to no end to do appeal after appeal (they have to eat, too, you know!).

It's been said that prisons are bound to bankrupt this country eventually.
This is the country of waste, it's everywhere. $50k a year to house an inmate, inclusive of both direct and indirect costs (the prison chiefs will only give you the direct costs).

And no one is brave enough, politically, to take on the prison mafia.

1 out of 3 black men, between the ages of 20-29, are in prison today and we have a black president! Do you hear him speaking on their behalf? Denouncing the prison industry? Will he do a mass pardon of some of these people at the end of this term? Unlikely!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Manson was originally given a death sentence. That sentence was commuted to life in prison in the early 70s when the Supreme Court declared the death penalty as then applied unConstitutional.

A note, without cites as I don't feel like finding them right now: keeping a prisoner in prison costs about $50K/year. Carrying out a death sentence runs in the range of $2M to $6M. I think I read that the Tookie Williams execution ended up costing CA close to $20M. A life sentence without parole (Manson comes up for parole every couple years) is actually more cost effective.

I'm pro death penalty, by the way.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times
More irony from the right... We're afraid of the big bad incompetent gubmint. But we want the gubmint to have the ability to put citizens to death... the ultimate power.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
More irony from the right... We're afraid of the big bad incompetent gubmint. But we want the gubmint to have the ability to put citizens to death... the ultimate power.
So true. Let the families of the victims snuff the murderers, instead.

Then we'd all be better off.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Why are they still here?

Ummmm....uh,....because they weren't sentenced to death?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So true. Let the families of the victims snuff the murderers, instead.

Then we'd all be better off.
What about the families of the victims that don't want to have one person's abhorent behaviour change their basic human values despite the heinousness of the act and its impact on their lives?

AND what about the families of the victims who actually DO push for the death penalty only to discover that it offers them no relief from their suffering at all AND in many cases even adds to it?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
What about the families of the victims that don't want to have one person's abhorent behaviour change their basic human values despite the heinousness of the act and its impact on their lives?
Why, they can elect to let the scum live. At least they'd get to participate in it, instead of leaving the decision up to pretentious windbags, most of whom have never felt an "impact" in their lives...

Quote:
AND what about the families of the victims who actually DO push for the death penalty only to discover that it offers them no relief from their suffering at all AND in many cases even adds to it?
Finding no relief is better than prolonging the life of those who have forfeited their right to life. Again, at least those affected would have some say in the denouement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies