Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Could this be true? You really wouldn't know it from his supporters on this forum - they must be tried and true die hards. He's got the right and the Left mad at him, which should work out real well for the republicans in Nov.

Obama's liberal base 'disengaged' - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-03-10-liberals_N.htm - broken link)

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Is President Obama losing his base?

Liberal and progressive organizations that helped propel him to the White House are turning on him now, little more than a year after he took office.

Organizer David Swanson calls the administration's positions on protecting state secrets and war crimes "a disaster."
One of the few areas where I support him, although I wouldn't call them "war crimes".

Quote:
But Obama has broken his campaign promises and now, "we've had it. I'm done."
Damn. Wouldn't that be sweeter than sweet if his base stayed home in Nov?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,089 times
I didn't even vote for him, but I would say he has gained an individual here for his "base." Your hatred for him works in mysterious and convoluted ways.

By the way, I live in a military community. I know plenty of soldiers who really did not feel swayed either way in the last election, feeling that their trajectory of deployments and assignments really would not be affected much by the leadership. There are many of what you would call "liberals" in the military and day to day they engage in far greater issues than you could possibly imagine, or have the courage to step up to.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
There are a lot of people on the left upset that Obama keeps caving in and moving to the center in a vain hope to compromise with Republicans. Of course the Republicans always just continue their obstructionism and nothing gets accomplished so why even bother reaching out to them? It just results in good legislation getting watered down to the point that it becomes useless and you never ever get a single Republican vote for all of your efforts so why bother?

Basically what his base wants him to do is grow a pair of balls, stand up to Republican obstructionism, and fight for the real change & reform he promised. I don't think this is to much to ask for.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Obama is very cunning. He has increased his moderate base by supporting war in Afghanistan and increasing traitor act provisions. The liberals will always vote for him, because they're too uneducated and ignorant to see him for what he truly is. Plus, they're more concerned with playing prisoners' dilemma than actually voting.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
.... because they're too uneducated and ignorant to see him for what he truly is...
Oh please, explain the "uneducated" part summers73. Perhaps you can enlighten us in all your "educated" glory and infinite wisdom.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM

The liberals are too stupid to realize that Obama doesn't have civil liberties in mind when he passes extensions to the traitor act.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The liberals are too stupid to realize that Obama doesn't have civil liberties in mind when he passes extensions to the traitor act.
Since I do not claim to always understand what you and your camp are getting at, please define the traitor act for me.

Treason against the USA will remain in place no matter who is in office. It's not a liberal or conservative issue and making it seem like one makes you look stupid.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Since I do not claim to always understand what you and your camp are getting at, please define the traitor act for me.
USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Treason against the USA will remain in place no matter who is in office. It's not a liberal or conservative issue and making it seem like one makes you look stupid.
Liberals tend to view the traitor act as a Bush abomination. Now that it's Obama's baby, extending it makes him look like a neo-con. But, of course, the liberals are too stupid to realize that.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I didn't even vote for him, but I would say he has gained an individual here for his "base." Your hatred for him works in mysterious and convoluted ways.

By the way, I live in a military community. I know plenty of soldiers who really did not feel swayed either way in the last election, feeling that their trajectory of deployments and assignments really would not be affected much by the leadership. There are many of what you would call "liberals" in the military and day to day they engage in far greater issues than you could possibly imagine, or have the courage to step up to.
Maybe just once you could try to stay on topic and not make it about me...OR...ignore my threads.

If USAToday feels the question needs to be probed, I think it is good enough for City-Data.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Yes, I also agree. Please ignore my posts NomadScribe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies