Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times

Advertisements

I have not seen much on this, anyone seen any real numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I just take for granted the fact that since the government will control the whole thing they will decide how much doctors and nurses can be paid and don't think that will be as much as they can make now.

I, am however, like you in that I have never seen anything about all that. I do wonder just who has any facts about that.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if TSA is any example of what happened when the feds get it, they will turn it into a a bunch of non union low paid jerked around employees w/ stinky retirement and high turnover. kill the bill. track record for the feds fixing stuff in the last 30 years has not been good.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:

Pretty sure that question is academic at this point. The blue dogs are too scared to approve Obamacare in any form. Nasty Nancy might have their number if they don't, but they're in more hot water if they do.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if TSA is any example of what happened when the feds get it, they will turn it into a a bunch of non union low paid jerked around employees w/ stinky retirement and high turnover. kill the bill. track record for the feds fixing stuff in the last 30 years has not been good.
Sorry Huck,
The above currently sums up my work world already!
I know that medicare pays at a lower rate. Would hospitals cut excess admin? Would the ratios be higher for worker to patient?
Most places already operate in the red. I am just wondering how they would pass on even lower reimbursements.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Pretty sure that question is academic at this point. The blue dogs are too scared to approve Obamacare in any form. Nasty Nancy might have their number if they don't, but they're in more hot water if they do.
I agree but things need to turn around in some portion.
People show up in the ER because they know they will be seen.
Office visit 50.00
ER visit 200.00 to start.
Problem is I am getting paid the same at either job. So where is this money going and how can we recover it?

Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Many nurses are way overpaid for their training. This is all due to a shortage in staffing. I've known nurses that exploit the shortage and are making near 100 K a year, thats a big waste.

You could get providers to work for a lot less if student loans were forgiven and there was some measure of tort reform.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Office visit 50.00
Problem is I am getting paid the same at either job. So where is this money going and how can we recover it?
The Hospital profit margin!
When hospitals get vendors to drop pricing they do not pass it along to the patients.......

Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Many nurses are way overpaid for their training. This is all due to a shortage in staffing. I've known nurses that exploit the shortage and are making near 100 K a year, thats a big waste.

You could get providers to work for a lot less if student loans were forgiven and there was some measure of tort reform.
I'll agree with you about student loans being forgiven.
While tort reform is important, I think it gets too much attention. I think most doctors milk that little "I'm afraid to get sued so I do more tests" cow a little bit too much. I see the whole running tests for every little thing as a way to milk the system. If the patient is insured, why worry about how much each tests costs if the doc doesn't pay for it and the patient is just fine with running a bunch of tests?

I think a fee for service system is fine in some cases but it would be nice if more hospitals had their doctors on a salary. I think we would see less unnecessary tests, surgeries, etc.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:35 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Quote:
Office visit 50.00
A better question is where is the money coming from. Who is already paying for those without ins(most of which are illegally here). The answer is those with ins are already paying for it. The er bills are paid by the ins companies for those who have it. The answer is simply free healthcare for all with a 5k deductable(which you get tax credit for). That way people might shop around for a doctor with the best price. Look at lasor eye surgery, ins dont pay for that and when it started it was twice the price as it is now. Now it is cheaper and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies