Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
I do agree about proms. It amazes me how individuals pay $500 for one night, that includes a dress or a tux they'll never wear again.
When I was a teenager:

$15.00 for 2 tickets to Black Sabbath or Alice Cooper
$10.00 for a good pair of jeans
$10.00 for 2 bottles of Boones Farm
$20.00 for enough good weed to last the weekend
$2.00 for gas to get to the party

And much more fun than a stinkin prom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
When I was a teenager:

Well, pretty much the only thing that's the same is the Boones Farm.

Concerts are too expensive nowadays. But, still a fun experience.

Never went to my prom myself. Proms are pretty much overrated.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:02 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
First and foremost before I say anything, whether you are conservative or liberal or some other viewpoint, I am not trying to convince you that you have to like what homosexuals do. I don't like what homosexuals do. But what I do like is that we're supposed to live in a country where one can live peacefully without any fear of persecution.

If a girl wants to sleep with another girl or a guy wants to sleep with another guy, that is their right. Unless they do something that would directly affect me, what they do in their own lives public and private, does not affect me whatsoever. What I am saying is while I don't approve of the homosexual lifestyle it is not my place to decide whether another person can or cannot live said lifestyle. If this is a free country and these two girls cannot be free to live the way they want to live that's not freedom.

As for the so-called "gay agenda" being rammed down our throats like one poster put it maybe the reason there is a gay agenda is because a lot of Americans don't know how to mind their own business and they feel they need to stick their noses into other people's lives to the point of persecution. And for the Republicans/Conservatives who say there should be less government in people's lives, it's ironic that they are the same people who would try to pass laws outlawing same-sex marriage. I feel less government should include personal freedoms as well.

As for this school in Mississippi canceling the prom over this, maybe they did this so the rest of the student body can take out their frustration on this lesbian couple? A more feasible solution should've been just ban the lesbian couple but I guess they want to fan up the flames of intolerance, similar to the same-race couples only prom they tried to pull a few years back.
It was said many of the students at the school don't have a problem with the girl bringing her girlfriend. It's the "adults" that are having an issue with it.

At my high school, same-sex couples could attend. It wasn't a big deal among the students and most of the faculty was fine with it. The biggest uproar came from parents.

Just last year a lesbian couple attended Grand March. Grand March is basically where everyone goes to some nice place in town where the parents take pictures of their child and their child's date. Before last year, only male-female couples could attend Grand March. It was nice to see the school change their policy.

As you can see, the school district in my area didn't act STUPIDLY and cancel the prom or Grand March. Nice to see cool heads prevail.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Well, pretty much the only thing that's the same is the Boones Farm.

Concerts are too expensive nowadays. But, still a fun experience.

Never went to my prom myself. Proms are pretty much overrated.

I see it as a big waste of money. I knew someone who attended three different proms and bought a different dress for each one.
I had a friend wear a GORGEOUS dress but I felt it was WAY too nice for prom. Plus she spent most of her time talking about how she hated most of our senior class yet she spent all that money to try to outdo everyone else.

Quote:
When I was a teenager:

Psssh....the last concern I attended my ticket was $40. This was GENERAL admission mind you.

In any case, I didn't attend my prom and I have NO regrets about it.

I love the part about the weed. Once it becomes legalized, I might give it a try.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

I see it as a big waste of money. I knew someone who attended three different proms and bought a different dress for each one.
I had a friend wear a GORGEOUS dress but I felt it was WAY too nice for prom. Plus she spent most of her time talking about how she hated most of our senior class yet she spent all that money to try to outdo everyone else.

Psssh....the last concern I attended my ticket was $40. This was GENERAL admission mind you.

In any case, I didn't attend my prom and I have NO regrets about it.

I love the part about the weed. Once it becomes legalized, I might give it a try.
The first concert I ever bought tickets for was Creedence Clearwater. They were $5 in advance and were to be $6 at the door if they had not sold out. They were general admission with open floor for those who wanted to stand. I attended Woodstock but it was my older sister that paid for the tickets (which was a waste of money because virtually everybody got in for free anyway).

Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Last concert I attended, the wife and I got lucky and were able to upgrade our lawn tickets to right up front of the stage for dirt cheap due to the rain. I believe we ended up spending 20 a person for that one. (Creed concert, btw.)

Going to another concert here in a week or two, haven't looked at ticket prices just yet though.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Last concert I attended, the wife and I got lucky and were able to upgrade our lawn tickets to right up front of the stage for dirt cheap due to the rain. I believe we ended up spending 20 a person for that one. (Creed concert, btw.)

Going to another concert here in a week or two, haven't looked at ticket prices just yet though.
The biggest cost was FEES from Ticketmaster.

I saw one of my favorite groups, Paramore and ended up fainting once they came on. lol. It was due to dehydration. I still had a blast once I felt well enough to go back out and dance the night away.

It's been about two years since I've gone to a concert. No one really good comes to Arkansas that much. I felt like I won the lottery when Paramore, Evanescence, and Linkin Park came to town. The day after the Linkin Park concert, I couldn't even talk because I was so hoarse.

Quote:
The first concert I ever bought tickets for was Creedence Clearwater. They were $5 in advance and were to be $6 at the door if they had not sold out. They were general admission with open floor for those who wanted to stand. I attended Woodstock but it was my older sister that paid for the tickets (which was a waste of money because virtually everybody got in for free anyway).
I wish I had been alive during $5 concert tickets...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
The biggest cost was FEES from Ticketmaster.

I saw one of my favorite groups, Paramore and ended up fainting once they came on. lol. It was due to dehydration. I still had a blast once I felt well enough to go back out and dance the night away.

It's been about two years since I've gone to a concert. No one really good comes to Arkansas that much. I felt like I won the lottery when Paramore, Evanescence, and Linkin Park came to town. The day after the Linkin Park concert, I couldn't even talk because I was so hoarse.
Last time I saw Linkin Park was when they toured with My Chemical Romance. Awesome concert, that.

Yeah. The wife and I are seeing an indy band called The Protomen. Recently became obsessed with them. Fantastic music.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Last time I saw Linkin Park was when they toured with My Chemical Romance. Awesome concert, that.

Yeah. The wife and I are seeing an indy band called The Protomen. Recently became obsessed with them. Fantastic music.
I think when they came they were with My Chemical Romance. I'm pretty sure of it because a friend of mine was a big fan of My Chemical Romance at the time.

I might check out The Protomen.

Are you an Alexisonfire fan? I LOVED seeing them live. I was right up front...AMAZING!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Maybe you need to understand the word freedom ? Do you have the ' freedom ' to kill ; to rob ; to lie ; ? Last I heard all these were against the law .

Why should you have the right to force your agendas on innocent children ?

Most don't care what you do in privacy but to bring it on our kids is wrong .
Actually you are free to lie. Look at our president and congress. They lie all the time.

As for forcing agendas on innocent children, I am not forcing anything. Is it illegal to be gay? No. They should have been allowed at the prom.

I don't even agree that homosexuality is right, but I'm tired of watching people expect them to hide out their entire life in a free country. They should be able to live their life with the same rights as anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies