Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Post # 168.

You didn't say "christians under attack", but you did say "go after...with hatred". Same thing.
So we agree you misquoted me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Not offering a prom to everyone is not discrimnating . they do not have to offer a prom at all.
The reason prom was not offered was to prevent a gay student from attending. That is discrimination.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, I'm not. The fact that the school had an existing policy against same-sex couples attending the prom indicates that there was homophobic tension in the community. Nothing fictional about that. The fact that the school is located in the bible belt, and that some churches in the bible belt actually preach against homosexuality. Nothing fictional about that. The school doesn't have to consider how probable it might be that something should happen. The school board members have to consider whether it's possible, and what the best steps are to eliminating that possibility. That's their job.

And I've already stated that I think the policy was ridiculous, and I fully support this girl's right to attend the prom. I'm not trying to rationalize anything. I'm trying to draw people's attention to what other things the school board members might have been thinking about. Because it is the job of the school board to think about EVERYTHING that could affect a child's safety at a school-sponsored event.
Nonsense, it's just evidence of a homophobic school board. Evidence of tension in the community would include police reports of gays attacking straights.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
So we agree you misquoted me
No your statement was correctly characterized.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
ACLU filed threatened a suit against the policy that you must bring a member of the opposite sex to a prom.
School board saw the problem. they had two choice to correct the problem. Change the policy or have no prom. With no prom the policy has no substance. No prom no discrimination.
It is there right to solve the issue how they choose
So, gay people are still barred from going to prom.

What are they going to do next year when another gay couple wants to attend? Go through this whole ordeal all over again?

Just let everyone attend. Then the problem is solved forever.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
May I ask what makes you think the school board's decision to cancel prom was based on safety and not discrimination. There is overwhelming evidence to suggest the latter so I'm curious what led you to your thinking aside from personal experience organizing public gatherings?
I'm not saying that discrimination didn't have a part in the school board's decision. I'm saying that as someone who's organized such events, that you have to put the safety of the people attending as the highest priority. And if the people attending are children, that requirement is even more stringent. From the moment you start planning, the first thing is making sure the people are safe. Fire safety inspections, police/security recommendations, making sure you have sanitary facilities available and that they are adequate to the needs of the crowds, having a nurse or doctor available should someone become sick, having maintenance staff to ensure that electricity, water, HVAC all are in good working order and continue to be, having staff make sure refreshments are handled properly, are kept at the proper temperature, making sure decorations are appropriate and follow safety guidelines, making sure emergency exits are marked are remain unobstructed throughout the evening....

Any one thing failing can lead to disaster. And that disaster can go on and on, because when it involves a public event, liability issues make sure that the distress never goes away.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
The reason prom was not offered was to prevent a gay student from attending. That is discrimination.
And the school corrected it in one of two ways they could. It is no longer discriminatory

Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So, gay people are still barred from going to prom.

What are they going to do next year when another gay couple wants to attend? Go through this whole ordeal all over again?

Just let everyone attend. Then the problem is solved forever.
My understanding is the ACLU is fighting the policy. The school board then would have to permanent choices. One is that their school will offer no proms. One is to change their policy. In either case there would be no discriminations. I know of schools that do not allow proms at all. If that is the policy then so be it. If kids and parents want to put on a private prom then let them feel free to do so

Old 03-12-2010, 01:45 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The school doesn't have to consider how probable it might be that something should happen. The school board members have to consider whether it's possible, and what the best steps are to eliminating that possibility. That's their job.
Based on your argument, no school should offer a prom at any time because there are endless possibilities that threaten the safety of students. Probability is weighed into any decision people make. Denying such is absurd. Will the school not offer prom due to the low probability of an electrical fire? You would have a stronger argument if there was evidence threatening violence should the student be given access but there has been no evidence of that.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't consider canceling the prom discrimination since everyone got the shaft. Many schools don't even bother with prom type activities and that's OK. It doesn't really matter WHY this school decided to cancel prom as long as the consequences don't discriminate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies