Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,016,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If your property taxes go up, you either pay them, or you move to a new town with lower taxes. You choose your battle. Are property taxes tyranny? I guess it depends on your views. But at the end of the day, either fight the system or you move on. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If you expect to win just because you raised a ruckus, you certainly deserve to be put back in your place from time to time.
She did win, in court. You're defending mob law, lynch law.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,030,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
She did win, in court. You're defending mob law.
Yes, she did win. My point is to choose battles wisely, which encompasses anticipating the outcome. She dove head first without considering that the pool was only 3 feet deep.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM

571 posts, read 940,101 times
Quote:
Yes, she did win. My point is to choose battles wisely, which encompasses anticipating the outcome. She dove head first without considering that the pool was only 3 feet deep.
You're right about it being about more than prom. She was fighting to do what everybody else was doing, no more, no less. If we all rolled over and let society do what they will with us, we'd loose our sense of who we are- no matter who "we" is.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,259,379 times
Quote:
I'm saying that every single acre of this great nation does NOT have to subscribe to a certain set of beliefs. If she had a problem with Christian ideals, then all she had to do was suck it up for one night, graduate from school, and then pack her bags and go somewhere that makes her happy. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Liberals will not be happy until Christian ideals are eradicated from this nation, and this girl is just one more example of such.
That's funny because I think all the school had to do was suck it up for one night. After all, it's just one prom night in hundreds of prom nights that will be held thru the years.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,584,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
What is hard to understand here exactly? She was standing up for her principles, are you saying people should just back down & shy away from what they believe in? Why should she go "incognito"? How could she anyway, apparently they bamboozled her & sent her off to a totally different location. What is wrong w/you people, just because she's gay you think she doesn't have a right to bring this to light? Hypocrites.
Interesting that you find it okay for her to stand up for her principles (your word, my word would be sin) but at the same time it is not okay for the rest of the town to stand up for theirs?

She forced the town to let her and her lesbian date go to the prom, so they let her. Oh, the rest of the town decided not to go with her, oh well. She got what she wanted, and the rest of the town got what they wanted.

win-win, except that what she really wanted was to get her 15 mins of fame and force her ideas down the throat of those who believe her "lifestyle choice" is a sin.

I personally applaud the town for standing up for what they believe in.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Interesting that you find it okay for her to stand up for her principles (your word, my word would be sin) but at the same time it is not okay for the rest of the town to stand up for theirs?

She forced the town to let her and her lesbian date go to the prom, so they let her. Oh, the rest of the town decided not to go with her, oh well. She got what she wanted, and the rest of the town got what they wanted.

win-win, except that what she really wanted was to get her 15 mins of fame and force her ideas down the throat of those who believe her "lifestyle choice" is a sin.

The case was decided in a court of law. She won. They responded not like the Christians they pretend to be but like a lynch mob.

You personally applaud lynch mobs for standing up for what they believe in?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,259,379 times
Quote:

Ah yes, the ole "shoving it down our throats" argument...lol, so predictable. You DO realize her actions were the direct REACTION to that school's actions? Follow? Tell me something....planning a prom that deliberately excluded her from attending, do you think that was mean-spirited? Tell me....do you think first not allowing her to attend the initial prom w/her date & then cancelling the prom for all, was that mean-spirited? Tell me....do you think her response to that, was that mean-spirited? When you're backed into a corner, do you come out fighting like a wildcat? Why don't you chew on that for awhile.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM

571 posts, read 940,101 times
Quote:

Maybe you read a different Bible than mine, but the Jesus I know spoke of compassion for sinners and He dined with prostitutes. He also said "judge not, lest Ye be judged".

Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,011,274 times
I'm truly stunned and appalled that adults (and I'm using the term loosely here) would stand by and allow this to happen much less play an active role in planning it. Absolutely disgraceful.

I wonder how the parents of the disabled students who attended the fake prom feel about their children being similarly deceived and excluded. I hope the school district is lawyering up. They're going to need really good representation to weasel their way out of this one, and any parent who participated in the planning of the alternate prom needs to be looking for an attorney, too. I smell multiple ugly civil suits in the making.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-07-2010 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm truly stunned and appalled that adults (and I'm using the term loosely here) would stand by and allow this to happen much less play an active role in planning it. Absolutely disgraceful.

I wonder how the parents of the disabled children who attended the fake prom feel about their children being similarly deceived and excluded. I hope the school district is lawyering up. They're going to need really good representation to weasel their way out of this one, and any parent who participated in the planning of the alternate prom needs to be looking for an attorney, too. I smell multiple ugly civil suits in the making.
I hope so. And thank you for reminding us about the disabled kids. What a bunch of cruel beasts those people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies