Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
They did not respond like a lynch mob, they just took steps to insure that they were not forced to witness something they feel is a sin. It's America, just like she has a right to go to court and get her case heard, they had a right to go "Fine, we will attend our own prom without having to deal with her."
Lol, that's what lynch mobs do, my friend. I take it you're not familiar with the name "Leo Frank."

(Or maybe you are.)

How Christian was it of them to be cruel to the disabled kids? Never mind the lesbian girl, another fellow sinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Ah yes, the ole "shoving it down our throats" argument...lol, so predictable. You DO realize her actions were the direct REACTION to that school's actions? Follow? Tell me something....planning a prom that deliberately excluded her from attending, do you think that was mean-spirited? Tell me....do you think first not allowing her to attend the initial prom w/her date & then cancelling the prom for all, was that mean-spirited? Tell me....do you think her response to that, was that mean-spirited? When you're backed into a corner, do you come out fighting like a wildcat? Why don't you chew on that for awhile.
I will tell you some things, first of which is please learn how to type.

I do not care if her reactions were in response to school policy, she didn't like it, she went to court, she won in court, so the people did what most Americans use to do when faced with something they did not want to face, they changed it.

Mean spirited? By your definition probably, by mine no. I was an effort by individuals who disagree with her lifestyle to not have to be forced to spend a special night watching what to most would be uncomfortable at best.

She has made a choice, one that her town is opposed to, and while the minority has rights somewhere along the way America has forgotten that while we can not restrict the rights of Americans just because they are in the minority it does not automatically mean the majority must do exactly what the minority wants. And for the matter show me a law anywhere that says being able to go to your prom is a right.

So again, feel sorry for this girl if you want, I do not. She has chosen her path and now she must navigate it, no matter how difficult she finds it.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Maybe you read a different Bible than mine, but the Jesus I know spoke of compassion for sinners and He dined with prostitutes. He also said "judge not, lest Ye be judged".
No, I read the same bible, I just don't pick out the parts I like and ignore the rest.

Yes Jesus spoke of compassion for sinners, and believe it or not I do indeed have compassion for this young girl.

Yes Jesus dined with prostitutes, He did this because He knew that with the sin they were living in they needed Him and His teachings more than others.

Yes Jesus said "judge not, lest Ye be judged" but that does not mean to point out the sins of others. What that means is that do not point out the sins of others without first looking within yourself for sin.

I know that I am a sinner, this is a fact that I understand very clearly. The question remains here is does she know she is a sinner? If so, then she needs to stop and if not she needs to be informed that she is sinning so that she may find redemption.

And with this I will bid you all good night and God Bless.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Lol, that's what lynch mobs do, my friend. I take it you're not familiar with the name "Leo Frank."

(Or maybe you are.)

How Christian was it of them to be cruel to the disabled kids? Never mind the lesbian girl, another fellow sinner.
I do not know anything about them being cruel to any disabled kids, and if that is the case I would chastise them for it without stop. I still stand on my feelings towards the girl who has chosen to be a lesbian.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I will tell you some things, first of which is please learn how to type.

I do not care if her reactions were in response to school policy, she didn't like it, she went to court, she won in court, so the people did what most Americans use to do when faced with something they did not want to face, they changed it.

Mean spirited? By your definition probably, by mine no. I was an effort by individuals who disagree with her lifestyle to not have to be forced to spend a special night watching what to most would be uncomfortable at best.

She has made a choice, one that her town is opposed to, and while the minority has rights somewhere along the way America has forgotten that while we can not restrict the rights of Americans just because they are in the minority it does not automatically mean the majority must do exactly what the minority wants. And for the matter show me a law anywhere that says being able to go to your prom is a right.

So again, feel sorry for this girl if you want, I do not. She has chosen her path and now she must navigate it, no matter how difficult she finds it.
You and AeroGuy both sound exactly like classic lynch-mob participants. Are you proud to be this way? Just curious; the guys in the olden days were proud of this stance, and back then they werent as constrained by pesky political correctness. (Some, but not as cruelly as you all are today.)

Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I do not know anything about them being cruel to any disabled kids, and if that is the case I would chastise them for it without stop. I still stand on my feelings towards the girl who has chosen to be a lesbian.
What if the disabled kids were sinners, too, and you just didnt know about it? Since you and the townspeople are judges and dispensers of justice, what would be your verdict?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:52 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
There is no proof of the fact, but it could be construed from the story that the school's disabled students were not invited to the alternate prom.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
The disabled kids were learning disabled.

"Two students with learning difficulties were among the seven people at the country club event, McMillen recalls. 'They had the time of their lives,' McMillen says. 'That’s the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn’t have to worry about people making fun of them [at their prom].'”

How do you feel about her saying something like that? Who was the more Christian here, the parents, principal and teachers... or the lesbian?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes, she did win. My point is to choose battles wisely, which encompasses anticipating the outcome. She dove head first without considering that the pool was only 3 feet deep.
The same could be said of the administration who I suspect has now spent tens of thousands of dollars defending their actions, money that could have been spent on educational materials, teacher salaries, facility maintenance, etc. in a time when most school districts across the nation are just scraping by. As I said earlier, the only winners in this situation are the attorneys. Grown-ups, especially those who hold responsibility for fiscal matters, should have known better than to let this situation get out of hand.

I found it interesting to find this statement on the School District webpage:

Quote:
The Itawamba County School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age or disability in the provision of educational programs and services or employment opportunities and benefits.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-07-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 PM

571 posts, read 943,206 times
Quote:
No, I read the same bible, I just don't pick out the parts I like and ignore the rest.

Yes Jesus spoke of compassion for sinners, and believe it or not I do indeed have compassion for this young girl.

Yes Jesus dined with prostitutes, He did this because He knew that with the sin they were living in they needed Him and His teachings more than others.

Yes Jesus said "judge not, lest Ye be judged" but that does not mean to point out the sins of others. What that means is that do not point out the sins of others without first looking within yourself for sin.

I know that I am a sinner, this is a fact that I understand very clearly. The question remains here is does she know she is a sinner? If so, then she needs to stop and if not she needs to be informed that she is sinning so that she may find redemption.

And with this I will bid you all good night and God Bless.
But do you honestly believe she will listen to you (you being people who are attempting to convince her that she is somehow wrong)? Do you really think, after gaining the support of millions of people, a powerful legal group, a lesbian talk show host, and others that she will listen to the very people who she is fighting against?

This "culture war" is dividing our nation, and wasting our people and resources. One side is the obvious agressor. You all could stand by and let people whom you will never come into contact with in your entire lives get married to another person and it will make no difference whatsoever. Similarily, the administration could have let this poor girl attend prom without even batting an eye- nobody would care. They may get some looks, some laughter, but in the end everything would have been A-OK. Nobody would require counseling. The sun would rise tommorrow. Everybody would graduate on time. And two girls would have had a great night together REGARDLESS of what some stupid people may think of them, as should be everybody's attitude towards life.

They just had to be difficult and take the smug "moral superiority" highroad and say "Hah, no, sorry; though it won't hurt anyone or anything, you can't do this." As a person and a libertarian that infuriates me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies