Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

this is a hard thread to understand. people are angry because of the inconvenience?
i feel like a foreigner and i was born here.
what happened in 60 years to people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:21 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
What ever happened to people committing suicide with pills, Sitting in a car in a garage with the engine on? Less painful ways to die......
If it were easy to get one's hands on pills that were reliable for this purpose, I probably would have done it a long time ago.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:08 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
this is a hard thread to understand. people are angry because of the inconvenience?
i feel like a foreigner and i was born here.
what happened in 60 years to people?
For me its not about the inconvenience. I think about the trauma Paramedics, Firemen, Amtrak official, passengers on the train having to remember the sight of body parts burnt into there mind forever. I'm more frustrated with the selfishness of people who do not think about affecting other peoples lives.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
If it were easy to get one's hands on pills that were reliable for this purpose, I probably would have done it a long time ago.
I do not know you. But I hope you do not have those thoughts of doing that now. If you ever need a person to talk to let me know. We all go through hard times.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:06 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I had this discussion with my pharmacist once. It isn't as easy as you might think. The human body is very resilliant and often times you will vomit up an overdose or do serious damage without causing death. Also everyone doesn't have access to a car and a garage. I would think getting hit by a fast train is pretty quick and painless.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Life isn't fair!

We all heard that from someone in our lives. I've read in todays paper that 5 people died in 2 weeks in the Philly area on Amtraks North East Corridor train tracks. That is unbelievable considering 50 people die per year country wide. May God forgive them all for commiting suicide. I wish I was able to atleast convince them all not to end their lives that way.

Amtrak train deaths: 5 in 2 weeks | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/12/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20100312_Amtrak_train_deaths__5_in_2_weeks.html - broken link)

Let's get back to the OP or we can move it to a different location.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It's not about inconvenienced. I've been stuck on a train for 3 hours because of downed power lines.

It's about making the conscious decisions to hold complete strangers hostage while you obliterate yourself. It's about the selfishness of suicide in general. I don't know if you've ever seen someone get hit by a train before but it's not a pretty thing and it's almost impossible to not see the gore . . . especially when you're in the first car of a train being pushed by the locomotive.

I just feel sorry for the drivers of these trains who have to watch the whole thing knowing they can't do anything to stop it. A lot of them are really messed up by it.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:09 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
For me its not about the inconvenience. I think about the trauma Paramedics, Firemen, Amtrak official, passengers on the train having to remember the sight of body parts burnt into there mind forever. I'm more frustrated with the selfishness of people who do not think about affecting other peoples lives.
The selfish people... The selfish people who can't get enough of the right kind of pills, who don't have or can't buy a gun, who don't own a car, if they jump off of a tall building they'll leave a mess on the sidewalk. Why not the train? A fast train equals a quick death. Someone who is depressed enough to commit suicide is supposed to have the presence of mind to consider how their untidy death affects others? What are options? Does Philadelphia have a death center?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Poor Life Coping Skills?

I was laid off twice in 2009 and knew it was time to fight unemployment. If unemployment comes my way again they I will be putting up my dukes once again. Not standing on the train tracks

Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The selfish people... The selfish people who can't get enough of the right kind of pills, who don't have or can't buy a gun, who don't own a car, if they jump off of a tall building they'll leave a mess on the sidewalk. Why not the train? A fast train equals a quick death. Someone who is depressed enough to commit suicide is supposed to have the presence of mind to consider how their untidy death affects others? What are options? Does Philadelphia have a death center?
Death Center...

I hope not. You make it seem like the people who recently committed suicide in our area did right by standing in front of an ACELA. I guess the real reason why these people are doing this is because it's cheap! (Cuz they cannot afford a gun, car or pills)

That is sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies