Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Poor Life Coping Skills?

I was laid off twice in 2009 and knew it was time to fight unemployment. If unemployment comes my way again they I will be putting up my dukes once again. Not standing on the train tracks
I'm with you TV&SG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 07:11 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
This thread was moved from the Philadelphia forum where it was off topic.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,344,266 times
Default easy out

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
Because since Obama came into office, no one can find ammunition anywhere...
Very funny comment!

My first thought was because stepping in front of a train is quick and effective.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,283 times
Maybe someone has pointed this out already, but where is our healthy conspiracy mindedness here? Perhaps there are some pushers involved in at least half of these deaths. Just a thought.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Life isn't fair!

We all heard that from someone in our lives. I've read in todays paper that 5 people died in 2 weeks in the Philly area on Amtraks North East Corridor train tracks. That is unbelievable considering 50 people die per year country wide. May God forgive them all for commiting suicide. I wish I was able to atleast convince them all not to end their lives that way.

Amtrak train deaths: 5 in 2 weeks | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/12/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20100312_Amtrak_train_deaths__5_in_2_weeks.html - broken link)

Obama has caused such a rush on ammunition that people choosing that route cannot do so the old fashioned way.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
We had a guy hang himself from a crane here in front of the cops, people and TV cameras.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Whenever someone purposely steps in front of a moving train, there is a risk of derailment where innocent lives could be lost. A commuter train in the LA area had an incident years ago where a man placed his vehicle on the track but got out of the vehicle in time for the train. He lived but several folks died as a result of this man's selfishness. I believe he was prosecuted for this incident.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
For me its not about the inconvenience. I think about the trauma Paramedics, Firemen, Amtrak official, passengers on the train having to remember the sight of body parts burnt into there mind forever. I'm more frustrated with the selfishness of people who do not think about affecting other peoples lives.

Like those jawing away on cell phones while happily going thru a red light and T-boning someone? They're a much larger problem than people jumping in front of trains.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:40 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Cheap,convenient,quick and reliable.
I'm sure each ones last thought was "Sorry for the mess"

Old 03-14-2010, 06:11 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
I see a lot of you have never had to cope with severe depression and suicidal thoughts. Good for you for having no empathy and making light of some of these situations that people go through.

Stepping in front of a moving locomotive is a quick and absolute way to go. People mentioned pills-dying by a pill overdose can be incredibly difficult. In the past, people usually took barbiturates for that purpose which are rarely prescriped now (and if so, in limited quantities). Running your vehicle in the garage? Not everyone has a vehicle, and not everyone owns their own home with a garage. Many people rent, and seldom do apartments or urban areas have garages.

How does it effect medical and EMT personal? It's their job to deal with trauma and gore, they're trained in it. It's probably no different than scraping someones brains off the highway after a "normal" accident, one caused by bad road conditions or cell phone use.

The psychological implications of what this could do to innocent bystanders is a different story, though. But you can't really conceive what's going through someones mind in the final moments of their life, and of course, suicides rarely think anyone will be impacted by their death anyway. I think more often than not that they feel it is their life that is a burden on others, not their death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies