Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I checked my mail yesterday and saw I had received an envelope from the US Census Bureau. I naturally assumed it was the 2010 Census forms, but no, it was really a letter to inform me that they will be sending out the Census forms soon and that I should fill them out.

Are you kidding me? You send me a letter to inform me that I'll be receiving a letter and forms? The dumbing down of America in action, and it wouldn't be so bad if we weren't paying for it all with borrowed money.
Talk about dumbing down, this has to be the fouth thread about these sttupid letters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
I checked my mail yesterday and saw I had received an envelope from the US Census Bureau. I naturally assumed it was the 2010 Census forms, but no, it was really a letter to inform me that they will be sending out the Census forms soon and that I should fill them out.

Are you kidding me? You send me a letter to inform me that I'll be receiving a letter and forms? The dumbing down of America in action, and it wouldn't be so bad if we weren't paying for it all with borrowed money.
i hear you. on the other hand to be fair, unless your 1st write them a heads up, how many would throw the census in the garbage?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Look at the title of this thread -- Does it mention census? No. Does that mean the poster is going to have to open any suspect waste thread on the chance it might be about a census letter?
And that's the second problem with this thread - it needs a descriptive title (i.e., one that at a minimum includes "census") so that people have at least some idea what the thread is about prior to opening it, AND so people searching the forum prior to starting a new thread might have a reasonable chance of seeing that the topic is already covered.

It's a sad fact, and has been my entire life, that "another example of ridiculous gov't waste" could mean darn near anything at any level of government.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:20 AM

301 posts, read 282,940 times
Quote:

Perhaps if the first letter is returned to sender because no one lives at that address any longer, they might have an idea that you no longer live there and would not send the forms to that address.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Talk about dumbing down, this has to be the fouth thread about these sttupid letters

Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
I must extend this kind of waste to the insurance business. I had bought an annual home owners policy from the Farm Bureau Insurance Co and then I moved while my policy was in effect entitling me to a refund. (It wasn't a lot of money either). About two months after moving I got a letter from FBI that I was due a refund. About two weeks later I received another letter informing me of the amount of the refund. About a week later I received another letter informing me that I would receive by refund in about two weeks. Is it any wonder insurance cost are so high?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:49 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I haven't seen them...and did look. I see it upset you so much that you took the time to post, so I accomplished something....I got to see how I can manipulate people to post and contribute to a thread they say they don't care about.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I accidentally did the same earlier this week. One rude person decided to take me to task on it. I had scrolled down the page and saw nothing that mentioned census letters, so I created a thread.

Look at the title of this thread -- Does it mention census? No. Does that mean the poster is going to have to open any suspect waste thread on the chance it might be about a census letter?

People make mistakes. At least a duplicate thread doesn't cost the taxpayers money.
Yes and I'm sorry if I sounded mad at you Iwasn't and I'm not I was just sounding off about general stuff. Again I'm sorry if a gave offence.

And you are correct. it doesn't cost any one any money at all to open up another thread.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworking View Post
Perhaps if the first letter is returned to sender because no one lives at that address any longer, they might have an idea that you no longer live there and would not send the forms to that address.
But if they don't live there, chances are someone else does.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
Yes and I'm sorry if I sounded mad at you Iwasn't and I'm not I was just sounding off about general stuff. Again I'm sorry if a gave offence.

And you are correct. it doesn't cost any one any money at all to open up another thread.
Apology accepted Not that I was offended, but I wanted to explain why I made that mistake earlier, and why I anticipate others will do the same as the pre-census letter reaches them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies