Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

I have been against the national healthcare database since Day 1 because I know what the government does with databases. They use them to match with other databases, so I said it would not be unlikely that the federal government would match your health records, with for instance, your store shopper card data or your state motor vehicle data or even your credit card purchases to append that info to your healthcare records and use it to deny or ration your healthcare. If they don't like the food or drink you buy, or you don't buy enough of what they consider to be healthy, no expensive (as determined by them) treatment for you.

I actually called my two local supermarkets and asked who they share store card data with. They swore up and down, no way do they share purchase data.

Well, here the CDC, with the patients' permission, got store card data to trace a samonella outbreak but oh, did they love having all that data so they could match purchase information.

Look at this quote:

"'This is not being used as a tool for open-ended trawling through many records hoping to find something," MacDonald said. "The records are treated with the same level of confidentiality as would medical records.'"

CDC uses shopper-card data to trace salmonella - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100311/ap_on_sc/us_shopper_card_sleuths - broken link)

Yeah buddy, the government and medical records, and another invasion of privacy by your mama Obama and his nanny state minions. That's how they get their foot in the door on privacy issues - for a greater good

I know what you're thinking. Just don't use a store card. How long after Obamacare passes that Congress is bleeding money and has to look for ways to ration healthcare to save money, so they pass a bill making store card uses mandatory?

I can hear them now. They'll start with the nanny state and tax arguments that 1) the government know what's best for the public at large (think food and drink bans) and/or 2) so they know what "bad habits" to tax. "We aren't looking at your personal data, just the aggregate data for a profile of American eating habits." Sure they are. Pretty soon after they've got their grubby paws on the data, they'll be matching your store card data with your healthcare records and using it to deny or ration treatment to save a few bucks and of course, to mold you into their idea of what you should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Data mining is big business. Do you really think they collect all that data to do nothing with it ?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
LoL, each release required a written statement of waver for each request...it's why it has taken months to track down the outbreak and where it came from.

Considering that can be deadly to the young, elderly, and immune-comprised...would you rather they just stop the investigation and let those people die they might have helped (especially drug resistant forms)?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
LoL, each release required a written statement of waver for each request...it's why it has taken months to track down the outbreak and where it came from.

Considering that can be deadly to the young, elderly, and immune-comprised...would you rather they just stop the investigation and let those people die they might have helped (especially drug resistant forms)?
Well fear induced panic of death and destruction has worked on you, hasn't it ?

Just skip over the part where the tainted food got out to the public to begin with and is happening more frequently and on a larger scale than ever before.

This pepper recall is nothing compared to the new one just announced...

Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well fear induced panic of death and destruction has worked on you, hasn't it ?
LOL

Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
I've been aware of the databases for a long time. We do it to ourselves though; to save that extra $9 every shopping trip we surrender up our shopping habits so the stores can track us, print out coupons in the store or even send them to our homes.

Last week I saw a different side of the database in action. We received a letter from Costco about our purchase of a package of pre-sliced cold cuts, warning us of contamination problems with the product.

It wasn't a timely warning, we'd purchased the item over the holidays, but I felt the noose getting tighter. Privacy is really becoming a thing of the past.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
LOL
Yeah summers73. The government uses fear to get what they want.
Some just have not woken up to this yet.

Our government was formed to protect and defend the US and foster an environment where business could thrive.

They have gone so far off track that they act as a dictatorship now with all the rules and regulations that have made a hostile business environment and drove the offshoring of our manufacturing.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I've been aware of the databases for a long time. We do it to ourselves though; to save that extra $9 every shopping trip we surrender up our shopping habits so the stores can track us, print out coupons in the store or even send them to our homes.

Last week I saw a different side of the database in action. We received a letter from Costco about our purchase of a package of pre-sliced cold cuts, warning us of contamination problems with the product.

It wasn't a timely warning, we'd purchased the item over the holidays, but I felt the noose getting tighter. Privacy is really becoming a thing of the past.
I saw some of those packages recalled dated back to September 2009....this is March 2010.

You are NOT being protected. The bigger the entity, the slower it moves.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Data mining is big business. Do you really think they collect all that data to do nothing with it ?
It's a huge business. I don't know if you are on Facebook or not. But most of the "groups" exist only to collect personal data.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I think the key here is "with the patients' permission".

The patients had to tell the CDC where they purchased food, which is normal in food contamination cases, no?

The CDC was then able to ask the patients for permission to request the stores provide the CDC with purchase information that was then cross-checked with all the various patient purchases to see what they had in common.

The stores only shared the information when the patients consented.

What is the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies