Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,327,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Would Americans use such trains even if they existed?
The Trains along the eastern seaboard are used quite a bit. There are those that commute from Penn / New York to Washington, D.C. There is frequent rail service from New York (and other NE destinations) to Florida.

Trans-Continental service is not so frequent though. Also, it is cheaper to fly coast to coast than take the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,810,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We built most of the interstate highway system from scratch. We went to the moon from scratch. We can certainly do this! One of the ways to help pay for it is to also use it for high speed freight. Another thing is to sell ad space on the trains and have TVs with news and ads on the trains. These ads would be seen by millions of people and companies would pay for them.
Maybe Amtrak or whoever would operate the lines could sell advance tickets which entitle the buyers to unlimited rides on the HS trains during the first year of operation. Let's say $100 per ticket. If 10m people bought such a ticket, Amtrak could invest a billion in the HS infrastructure.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,813,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Maybe we should share our country with the Red Chineese!!

Mar 13, 7:40 AM (ET)

By JOE McDONALD

(AP) In this Wednesday, March 3, 2010 file photo, a worker checks a CRH high-speed train at a...
Full Image

BEIJING (AP) - China plans to bid for contracts to build U.S. high-speed train lines and is stepping up exports of rail technology to Europe and Latin America, a government official said Saturday.

China has built 4,000 miles (6,500 kilometers) of high-speed rail for its own train system and President Barack Obama issued a pledge in November with his Chinese counterpart, Hu Jintao, to cooperate in developing the technology.

"We are organizing relevant companies to participate in bidding for U.S. high-speed railways," Wang Zhiguo, a deputy railways minister, told a news conference.

Wang gave no details of where China's railway builders might seek contracts, but systems are planned in California, Florida and Illinois. He said state-owned Chinese companies already are building high-speed lines in Turkey and Venezuela.

If any government funds are going to be used, there should be requirements that these rail projects only hire American workers and that all the trains be built by American based companies that hire American citizens that pay a living wage.

I am sick of competing with people in China who are making $10 a month. If they want to to business with the U.S., they need to pay U.S. wages.

"Free trade" and globalization is just a way to drive down wages. We need to stop the bleeding of U.S. manufacturing jobs.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM

271 posts, read 394,670 times
We're most likely going to go with China, since we're so largely indebted to them.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:35 PM

271 posts, read 394,670 times
Remember Pres.Clinton and the campaign contributions he received from Chinese businessmen? This deals probably been in the works for quite some time.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,668,587 times
High speed rail is not good for frequent stops. You'd need something like NY-FL non-stop to really get the bang for your buck.

Plus new rails would need to be layed and land bought for the right of way.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,810,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

If any government funds are going to be used, there should be requirements that these rail projects only hire American workers and that all the trains be built by American based companies that hire American citizens that pay a living wage.

I am sick of competing with people in China who are making $10 a month. If they want to to business with the U.S., they need to pay U.S. wages.

"Free trade" and globalization is just a way to drive down wages. We need to stop the bleeding of U.S. manufacturing jobs.
I largely agree with you, but I find that attitude a bit hypocritical. As long as the US benefited from globalization Americans did not complain about the miserable lives of farmers around the globe whose local agriculture was and still is being destroyed by cheap, oftentimes subsidized food exports from the US and Europe. What goes around comes around...

Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,515,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

We need to stop the bleeding of U.S. manufacturing jobs.
I agree but sadly must note that I'm reading this on a monitor, typing the response on a keyboard, and using a mouse that were all made in China...

Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I largely agree with you, but I find that attitude a bit hypocritical. As long as the US benefited from globalization Americans did not complain about the miserable lives of farmers around the globe whose local agriculture was and still is being destroyed by cheap, oftentimes subsidized food exports from the US and Europe. What goes around comes around...
I'm 19 so when NAFTA was passed, I didn't even know about it. Excuse for me being a bit naieve at that time.
In any case, I feel for ANYONE who has been hurt by free trade, not just Americans.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I agree but sadly must note that I'm reading this on a monitor, typing the response on a keyboard, and using a mouse that were all made in China...
It isn't your fault they were made in China.
Heck, I am on a Dell for crying out loud.
The clothes on my back were probably made in the Phillipines, Honduras, etc.

If it was my choice, we'd be making our own electronics and clothes in this country. China has enough people to where they can easily make all the electronics, cars, etc. they want/need. The same applies to the U.S. There are plenty of out of work Americans who would love to get these manufacturing jobs back so they can begin to get a paycheck and provide for their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies