U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do?
Cut entitlements 12 70.59%
Print money to pay for them 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:19 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,566,522 times

Advertisements

So what would you chose cut entitlements or print money to pay for them?

Or make good solid responsible decisions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:43 PM

7,122 posts, read 4,743,681 times
We already know what they will do and it does not matter what we think.They will inflate because it is the easy way out and they do not have the stomach to face pain.The good news is that Barnanke seem to suggest that he wanted to curb the printing press but that could be just rhetoric.I do not see any cuts to entitlement programs from our gutless leaders from both parties,the seats they hold are more important to them then doing the right thing.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,293,938 times
How about we save about 2 trillion dollars a year by doing things like:
1. Cut out the waste, fraud and abuse in military spending and Medicare spending.
2. End the farm subsidies. Why are farms different than any other business? They should compete on the open market. If you cannot sell tomatoes at a profit, grow something else.
3. Close 90 of the 120 foreign bases we have and use the military to defend the United States which is what it was supposed to do.
4. Bring home all soldiers from Iraq and finish up in Afghanistan.
5. Ban the purchase of any new weaponry the Pentagon does not demonstrate a need for.
6. Legalize both Marijuana and Cocaine for sale to adults for private use in a home and tax it at 20%.
7. Raise the gasoline tax from 18.4 cents to $1.00 a gallon in increments of 2 cents a month. Has not been raised in decades and needs to be.
8. Raise tariffs on imported goods from countries that are not democracies and do not respect human or labour rights (China # 1 on the list)
9. Start a national bank to compete with the giant monster mega banks. Such a bank would make billions for the government and save the government billions in loan servicing and payroll.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:59 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,293,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
We already know what they will do and it does not matter what we think.They will inflate because it is the easy way out and they do not have the stomach to face pain.The good news is that Barnanke seem to suggest that he wanted to curb the printing press but that could be just rhetoric.I do not see any cuts to entitlement programs from our gutless leaders from both parties,the seats they hold are more important to them then doing the right thing.
We don't need to inflate our way out. We can GROW our way out if the Republicans would quit trying to ruin our economy.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
7. Raise the gasoline tax from 18.4 cents to $1.00 a gallon in increments of 2 cents a month. Has not been raised in decades and needs to be.
//www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/917591-pv-4-ev-my-take-how.html

Here is what I'd like to do with $1/gl tax. On gasoline.

As far as the rest http://tinyurl.com/yavbs2x This instacalc has a brief summery of what I think we could pull off if we got the economy at 100% like now!!!. If we did then we would have a budget surplus!! Or close to it.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
We don't need to inflate our way out. We can GROW our way out if the Republicans would quit trying to ruin our economy.
Yip and it would only take a very short amount of time to do it. Verry short.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:51 PM

7,122 posts, read 4,743,681 times
Quote:
Quote:
1. Cut out the waste, fraud and abuse in military spending and Medicare spending.
2. End the farm subsidies. Why are farms different than any other business? They should compete on the open market. If you cannot sell tomatoes at a profit, grow something else.
3. Close 90 of the 120 foreign bases we have and use the military to defend the United States which is what it was supposed to do.
5. Ban the purchase of any new weaponry the Pentagon does not demonstrate a need for.
9. Start a national bank to compete with the giant monster mega banks. Such a bank would make billions for the government and save the government billions in loan servicing and payroll.
We will inflate our way out before we can grow our way out which is going to take a long time if it happens?But growth needs to be spurred by the private sector and not the gvt.One lesson I learned from Reagan is he did not give himself or the gvt credit for economic growth during his term,he gave all the credit to the American people.
We have the complete opposite ideology today where the American people want the gvt to create economic growth and create jobs.Why would any logical person in his right mind look at our gvt with it's pathetic record want them leading the way to prosperity?These are the same {R} and {D} imbeciles that have run up a 14 trillion dollar debt.
You look at cash for clunkers that did increase auto sales that was good for union workers,the money the gvt spent for each car was $24,000 and ran up the debt by 3bn.Is this the type of economic growth we want?Or how bout the weatherization program, where it cost like 56 thousand per house and added 9bn to the debt.Is this the economic growth we want,no it sounds like waste.
But we do agree on some other ideas like cutting military spending to the bone and defend our country.Close all those bases,if that country wants the base let them pay for it and supply the troops.
I am on board for cutting the farm subsidies,I do not believe in subsidies,it;s against the free market you should rise and fall by your own accord.
As far as the banking idea I support the states doing but not the federal gvt,I can not figure out why anyone would want to give them more responsibility.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 PM

23,167 posts, read 13,882,804 times
Quote:
6. Legalize both Marijuana and Cocaine for sale to adults for private use in a home and tax it at 20%.
8. Raise tariffs on imported goods from countries that are not democracies and do not respect human or labour rights (China # 1 on the list)

1. If there was marked waste in medicare, it would have been cut already. Medicare fraud is big buisness for the feds and there is no lack of enforcement there.

2. End farm subsidies. I guess you don't have to eat, Kev, so it is probably not a problem for you. How would you like $10 a gallon milk or $8 a pound hamburger? Libs would be the first to *****. Farm subsidies are an attempt to keep family farms alive and remain competitive with foriegn nations who do the same. How would you like to "outsource" all your food production, like we do for oil and manufacturing?

3. Close 90 of the 120 foriegn military bases? How about close all of them except for one for each service in each of the strategic four theaters of operation?

4. "Finish up in Afganistan"? Here is a hint, Kev- it will never be finished. Pull out. Iraq and Afganistan are two completely different wars and political theaters. The difference is that Afganistan is Obama's war and he will not leave as long as he is president. Bush won Iraq and Barry lost Afganistan.

5. Ban all weaponery the Pentagon does not demonstrate a need for. WTF? Did you fall asleep during the cold war? Did you wonder why the US was fighting the germans early in WW2 with Shermans against Tigers?

6. Legalize marijuana and cocaine. I agree- all the liberals would kill themselves.

7. Raise the gasoline tax to $1 a gallon. Again, Kev- you would be the first to ***** about the skyrocketing prices of everything that would occur as a result. We would finally have the inflation you seem to crave.

8. Agreed

9. Are you crazy? Last time I checked, despite the recent meltdown, nearly everyone in the US has needed a personal or buisness loan at one time or another. This would cause commerce to come to a stanstill. Let's see...................... what other nations did this. Oh, I know- the USSR, Red China, North Korea, and Cuba- that turned out well.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 PM

16,502 posts, read 21,856,965 times
I guess I'm the only one for inflation. It did me well during the Carter Years. I bought a house for $35K and financed $25K. I was unable to sell the old house. In a few years the house was worth $135K so i sold it and went back to the old house and put $100k into 14% CDs for 5 years. Those years were some of my best.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 AM

16,876 posts, read 13,712,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/917591-pv-4-ev-my-take-how.html

Here is what I'd like to do with $1/gl tax. On gasoline.

As far as the rest http://tinyurl.com/yavbs2x This instacalc has a brief summery of what I think we could pull off if we got the economy at 100% like now!!!. If we did then we would have a budget surplus!! Or close to it.

Instead of a gas tax, I would be in favor of a legislation tax. $1000 a word for each and every piece of legislation, unless it is to get rid of a past piece of legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies