Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:27 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,455,535 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't know - or care - whether it is politically correct for a U.S. President to criticize the Supreme Court during the State of the Union speech, but does anyone think that President Obama was the first to do so?
And let me add here: So many of our greatest statesmen have reminded us that spiritual values alone are essential to our nation's health and vigor. The Congress opens its proceedings each day, as does the Supreme Court, with an acknowledgment of the Supreme Being. Yet we are denied the right to set aside in our schools a moment each day for those who wish to pray. I believe Congress should pass our school prayer amendment.
That would be President Reagan, January 25, 1988, reacting to a Supreme Court ruling on school prayer with which he did not agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Personally, I don't know - or care - whether it is politically correct for a U.S. President to criticize the Supreme Court during the State of the Union speech, but does anyone think that President Obama was the first to do so?
And let me add here: So many of our greatest statesmen have reminded us that spiritual values alone are essential to our nation's health and vigor. The Congress opens its proceedings each day, as does the Supreme Court, with an acknowledgment of the Supreme Being. Yet we are denied the right to set aside in our schools a moment each day for those who wish to pray. I believe Congress should pass our school prayer amendment.
That would be President Reagan, January 25, 1988, reacting to a Supreme Court ruling on school prayer with which he did not agree.
Congress and the Supreme Court are above the law.

So . . you are arguing school students, too, are above the law?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,400,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Of course not. It was not classy at all but it was, unfortunately, true.
Don't make me ask for the "lie". You won't be able to show anything.

Illegal immigrants are specifically exempt from federal tax $$ on health care in the HC legislation. When Mr. Obama mentioned that fact, Mr Wilson hollered his absurdity. You would counter that?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:01 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,856,671 times
pommysmommy, (with nothing better to do today than stoke the fires of FAUX OUTRAGE) wrote;
Quote:
Obama exhibited such a lack of class and decorum at the State of the Union that it was disgraceful. The puppet needs to get puppeteers who understand protocol.
Ah, yes, I remember well how you and the rest of the CLUELESS RIGHT WING POSTERS were up in arms when Reagan, Bush Sr and Bush Jr. took the SC to task during their SOTU speeches.

It reminds me of the COMPLETELY FAUX OUTRAGE you exhibit about Obama and spending when you were COMPLETELY MUTE regarding the MEDICARE PRESCRIPTION GIVEAWAY (late night voting, not available to be read by those voting) the UNFUNDED WARS IN AFGHANISTAN AND IRAQ.

Oh, right, you do complain about those NOW and try to tell us that they were all DEMOCRATIC PROPOSALS.

Another phony right wing poster starting another phoney right wing thread.

I'm sure I'll get another yellow card for this post. Meh.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,966,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Then I guess a childish, immature outburst of "you lie" within the halls of the same congress is classy . . . ?

A liar will be known as a liar.

To call them by any other name would be untruthful.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,425,448 times
Quote:

Illegal immigrants are specifically exempt from federal tax $$ on health care in the HC legislation. When Mr. Obama mentioned that fact, Mr Wilson hollered his absurdity. You would counter that?
I wouldn't address that at all on this thread because it is off topic.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:11 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,966,318 times
Quote:

I doubt you would respond if it was shown evident. Your position is known by many. We see you, we know you, we can establish your favoring without deliberation. So what merit would it bring in presenting evidence to that which can not see past its own lies?

I will answer. There is no reason to such. You are bought, sold, and paid for dear sir and no amount of discussion or revelation of truth will change such.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Obama exhibited such a lack of class and decorum at the State of the Union that it was disgraceful. The puppet needs to get puppeteers who understand protocol.
That was absolutely no different that Bush or Reagan talking about activist judges...Obama was not the first and for sure not the last to blast judges and the SCOTUS or it's political PR firm arms.

The lack of perspective and the whining that is going along with it...that is disgraceful.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,425,448 times
Did Bush do that during a State of the Union address? The answer is no. You lack perspective.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,156,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
"When asked about this Tuesday, Roberts said the criticism itself did not bother him. “Anybody can criticize the Supreme Court... I have no problem with that,” he said. He objected to criticism in such a public setting, where the justices had no choice but to sit silently."
I thought the whole thing was VERY uncomfortable. I remember seeing it and not reacting to what Obama said to them, but reacting to the Justices having to sit there as the entire row behind them and on both sides stood up and cheered. Imagine if Obama said during his speech, "and we are going to pull out of Iraq now because I disagree with what the US military is doing over there" and the entire row behind the Joint Chiefs of Staff stood up and cheered.

The State of the Union is just one giant pep rally. I don't care who's in office...it's always the same thing and adds nothing but time as one side or the other stands up and congratulates themselves. I don't think the Supreme Court and the Joint Chiefs of Staff need to sit through it and be held to a sense of decorum that Congress doesn't observe.

I am a registered Independent and don't have any "history" of voting for one party over the other.

I do know, however, that politics in America is cyclical and there will come a time when the Republicans are in power the same way that the Democrats are now. When a President decides to do something nearly unprecedented like admonish the Supreme Court during a state of the union address, it's only shocking once. Then it becomes acceptable.

The people who are cheering because it was Obama who did it won't be cheering when the next Republican president does it. It would be nice for someone (I don't care which party it is) to hold themselves to a higher standard instead of always resorting to the "well, the Republicans/Democrats did it first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies