Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 PM

805 posts, read 774,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Don't forget Steve Forbes favorite target, bloated Police and Fire Pensions. They are heroes if they get shot but parasites if they're not. Police Unions are one of the GOPs favorite target
Cops and Firemen in my family would be the first to tell me that they are screwin' the pooch. So I don't have to hear it from any Dem or Repub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
Cute? you're getting on my nerves. Try Federal Mandates and Regulations enforced by federal union bureaucrats. Sheeeet.

So his "empirical data" tells him labor unions and big government....
And... you wanted him to blame Bush??

Fact's is Fact's and BS is BS.

In your opinion why is there this horsebleep job market... and not just this year but since 1990 like Mayer points to?
And this is not just Ohio and Michigan...
What's your "empirical data" tell you? What's your common sense tell you?

Or are you going to give me another one of your BS quizzes?
"[SIZE=3]Matt A. Mayer is president of the Buckeye Institute for Public Policy Solutions, a Columbus-based think tank that focuses on economic freedom, job creation, and government accountability."[/SIZE]
There you go again, putting words in my mouth and posts. I never once mentioned Bush or tried to assign blame to a past administration. My focus has been on labor unions, the topic of this thread.

As for my opinion of why the job market is bad, I could share that with you but your mind seems to be sealed up tighter than a nun's you-know-what. But I'll give you a teaser hint i.e. it all started way back with NAFTA and there is no one single reason you can point to and say, "That's the witch that is causing all our jobs to go overseas! Burn her at the stake." That's a metaphor, by the way, and you're on a witch hunt every bit as irrational as the ones that took place in Salem.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 03-15-2010 at 11:10 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
There you go again, putting words in my mouth and posts. I never once mentioned Bush or tried to assign blame to a past administration. My focus has been on labor unions, the topic of this thread.

As for my opinion of why the job market is bad, I could share that with you but your mind seems to be sealed up tighter than a nun's you-know-what. But I'll give you a teaser hint i.e. it all started way back with NAFTA and there is no one single reason you can point to and say, "That's the witch that is causing all our jobs to go overseas! Burn her at the stake." That's a metaphor, by the way, and you're on a witch hunt every bit as irrational as the ones that took place in Salem.
Don't go away mad.....

...just go away!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
According to the Economic Policy Institute: In 2005, a CEO earned more in one workday (there are 260 in a year) than an average worker earned in 52 weeks.

Of course it's only those pesky unions causing financial stress in industry today, they haven't kept the pace. In 1965 a CEO earned only about 24X the average worker's wage, they of course have improved their companies enough to justify that ten-fold increase, eh?

Last edited by burdell; 03-16-2010 at 01:11 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
First in a series;

Ohio. The numbers are simply incredible.

toledoblade.com -- The Blade ~ Toledo Ohio

Contrast and compare forced unionization.

Stunning number.

Meanwhile, states like Texas are benefiting from the ruinous business climate in those pro-union states.

More statistics that will make your blood boil.
But there's no way you can possibly deny that it is against federal law for a union to require a worker to join a union as a condition for securing a job. So, make no doubt about it, your post has absolute zero credibility.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Much of the south are right to work states. They don't seem worse because of it.
But that part of the country has the most unhealthiest and toothless people in America.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-16-2010 at 01:31 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And how many people do that in right-to-work states?

People get benefits. People get paid more than minimum wage. People get paid overtime. In right-to-work states. Without unions.
I've heard that in Oklahoma, a right to work state, that the printing plant where Rolling Stone magazine is printed that people there sometimes work 12 hours a day at minimum wage.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But that part of the country has the most unhealthiest and toothless people in America.
I see by your picture that Stillwater has nothing to be ashamed about.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
I see by your picture that Stillwater has nothing to be ashamed about.
But as a Right to Work state, Oklahoma does have a greater share of toothless people than the states that don't have Right to Work.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 AM

338 posts, read 310,675 times
Quote:
If you have nothing constructive to say then spare us you snide remarks.
You are occupying valuable space that others can use more productively.
Comments like yours are about as useful as unrefigerated spam.

This is kinda cute, coming from you... (ObaMao! Liarz!Teh horrorz!!!1!1)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies