Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Apparently it wasn't such of an invasion of privacy in 2006.

I have a question for those so against this. If Obama had repealed this can you honestly say you would be on C-D singing his praises about reducing intrusion in our private lives? I have a sneaking suspicion there would be more people complaining about being soft on crime.
Yeah, this stuff is old hat. Doesn't anyone ever watch say....Law and Order?

Taking DNA samples from the arrested person goes back to the OJ trial...it's pretty much a given in todays environment.

In fact, the innocence project relies HEAVILY on DNA to get the wrongly convicted released.

Heck DNA evidence helped exonerate Kobe Bryant in the Colorado case where rape was alledged. After they found 2-3 different guys fresh semen on the gal it pretty much shredded the criminal case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:52 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so you can't think of a single scenario?

huh, me either.
I don't take notes when I watch TV or read a news article or watch news. Sorry.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:53 AM

23,870 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So you catch some guy fitting the description of a serial rapist running away from the scene of a recent rape and he has a knife on him of the type used in the assaults etc. but no way are you going to get a conviction based upon just that. So, you arrrest him take a DNA sample and voila you don't wind up convicting the wrong guy and if you got him you got him.
They would have probable cause to compel a sample. Existing laws already deal with your hypothetical situation - no national, compulsory database needed.

Quote:
This isn't a California thing, this is all over the US and has been going on for a while.
I never said that it was only California. I said that California was doing it. Are you saying that it's a Federal law? If so, can you point me to some sort of.. oh, I don't know... section of the U.S. Code that states it?

Quote:
You know that if they don't have probable cause for arrest and hence DNA collection that way, they can pick up your discarded cigarette butt etc. and test it?
Of course they can, and if they want to go to that much effort to legally obtain a sample of my DNA, they're welcome to. The legality of storing that sample when I'm not suspected of committing any crime could be dicey - I would expect a lengthy and very high profile court battle over something like that.

Asking (or forcing) me to "volunteer" a sample is way out of line, though, and it simply ain't gonna happen.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:01 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Heck DNA evidence helped exonerate Kobe Bryant in the Colorado case where rape was alledged. After they found 2-3 different guys fresh semen on the gal it pretty much shredded the criminal case.
how many of those 2-3 guys had DNA in a criminal database?

you do realize that it's not necessary to have access to DNA from persons B and C in order to determine that a given sample does not belong to person A, right?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
The rampant partisanship on this issue is an example of the dysfunction in our government.
yeah. it's so 'rampant' that only the OP even bothered to mention obama

no one else has.

why do you continually quote yourself with all that annoyingly hypertexted and bolded text?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,094 times
Quote:
yeah. it's so 'rampant' that only the OP even bothered to mention obama

no one else has.

why do you continually quote yourself with all that annoyingly hypertexted and bolded text?
You got a problem with using factual information from sources.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
You got a problem with using factual information from sources.
of course not. all that bolding and underlined hypertext is hard on the eyes.

and you continually quote your own posts. any reason why?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,094 times
Quote:
of course not. all that bolding and underlined hypertext is hard on the eyes.

and you continually quote your own posts. any reason why?
Does someone have a knife to your throat or a gun to your head forcing you to read my posts?

If its that hard then don't read it.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The nation’s chief executive extols the virtues of mandatory DNA testing of Americans upon arrest, even absent charges or a conviction. Obama said, 'It’s the right thing to do' to 'tighten the grip around folks' who commit crime.' Obama told [John] Walsh he supported the federal government, as well as the 18 states that have varying laws requiring compulsory DNA sampling of individuals upon an arrest for crimes ranging from misdemeanors to felonies."

Obama Supports DNA Sampling Upon Arrest | Threat Level | Wired.com

President Obama backs DNA test in arrests - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

Soooooo, if you are of the progressive persuasion, and think minorities are unfairly targeted for arrest, what do you say?
If you have to have a conviction before you can collect DNA you will never be able to use DNA to get a conviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies