Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The doctors are going to recommend the treatment that makes them the most money regardless of alternatives that might be available. You're very naive.

20yrsinBranson
That sounds like Obama talking about unnecessary amputations and tonsillectomies.....

I can't testify for anyone else, but I have a long-standing relationship with my doctor and have complete confidence that his decisions will be in my best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Many health issues, ESPECIALLY digestive issues are directly related to diet. The article does not go into a lot of detail about what his particular condition was, but I would bet a lot of money that it was something that could have been prevented or treated by a change in diet. I do not think that it is fair to ask OTHER PEOPLE to foot the bill for someone who does not take care of themselves and that results in some kind of illness or disorder. Again, I do not have all the details, but I am surmising.

20yrsinBranson
Although many health issues are indeed related to diet, I don't think a 25 year old's diet - whatever it is - would do him so much harm as to require that he have a colostomy bag. I know people around that age who eat terribly (fast food and gas station food all the time, etc.) and they're mostly healthy (at least their diet does not cause their health problems).

Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, it is kind of like buying auto insurance the day after you have the accident.

He should have had it before the accident.
You know your statement makes really has no merit.

"..
He suffers from a blood disorder -- neutropenia -- that weakens his immune system and increases his risk of developing serious infections.."

".. an Eastpointe resident who suffers a chronic illness."

How could he have anticipated his latest medical emergency??

Go back to that website you showed and get a quote with a mediacal history like this man's.

Then let's have a poll of how many here on cd could afford those payments and the other normal debts of shelter and food.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You are only 24 years old - you may think you know it all, but you most likely haven't lived through the worst of it. I'd like to see what you'd do if it was yourself or your family in a position like the person in the article. If a child of yours was walking around with a colostomy and you lost your job and healthcare, I guess you'd tell them to suck it up and not look for a "handout", right?
So your answer is to create a government program to cover all contingencies of something bad happening to someone?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
How could he have anticipated his latest medical emergency??
Last I checked, one buys medical insurance in the event of a medical emergency.

One doesnt anticipate a medical emergency, one prepares for it just like one prepares for a home fire, or a flood..

Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What do you mean, no proof? What do I have to do, write a PhD dissertation on capitalism. If you have studied economics at all, you know that reguations are a fairly recent phenomenon. There is anothe thread about the free-market system on this forum, where this is also being discussed. The "free market" does go back a few millenia. Greed on the part of the capitalists is what brings about regulation. For the most part, these regs are just making the businesses do what they should have been doing all along, e.g. honor their word, deliver their product, etc.

Which points do you want me to respond to? It is my observation that many people, including some of the most reverered RWs, only answer what they want to answer.
You have to give me more than your opinion. You don't need a dissertation, but I would like more than speculation.

Greed is a part of capitalism, but OTHER people's greed keeps everything in check. Does that make sense?

I want you to comment on if you understand the difference between a moral and legal obligation.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 AM

8,891 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Not everyone feels we should just give through charity and hope it all turns all right. We can very easily afford a single-payer system. We can end the wars and raise taxes on the wealthy as a start. I hate how some game the system and claim the money they made off of stocks as "income" so it will be taxed at a lower rates.
Why do people think the "wealthy" owe them something?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Last I checked, one buys medical insurance in the event of a medical emergency.

One doesnt anticipate a medical emergency, one prepares for it just like one prepares for a home fire, or a flood..
Like a frolicking young puppy...sometimes you just have to slow them down and get them to focus!!

If an indivisual has a serious CHRONIC disease that results in flare up that range from fevers to the rupturing of organs, that indivisual in all likely hood will not be afforded medical insurnce that they can afford.

A previous poster suggested that it was his fault for not having medical insurance when he medical emergencies presented themselves.

nicet4
befriend Join Date: May 2009
2,098 posts, read 754,319 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey
But would they have accepted him because he has a pre existing condition?

Yeah, it is kind of like buying auto insurance the day after you have the accident.

He should have had it before the accident.

So as I stated to the previous poster I now state to you; your remark has no merit.

You naively suggest a young man with a chronic medical condition, a history of serious ailments, in a economic recession should have just happliy skipped down to "Insurance "R" us" and receieved the "affordable" heath insurance, certain people keep reminding us, is available right around the corner!!

Ohh...to be naive and unaware!!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 AM

8,891 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

So as I stated to the previous poster I now state to you; your remark has no merit.

You naively suggest a young man with a chronic medical condition, a history of serious ailments, in a economic recession should have just happliy skipped down to "Insurance "R" us" and receieved the "affordable" heath insurance, certain people keep reminding us, is available right around the corner!!

Ohh...to be naive and unaware!!
Michigan has a high risk pool for those with chronic medical conditions.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Michigan has a high risk pool for those with chronic medical conditions.
Did you read the story??..Did you read my above reply completely???

Tell me where someone basically only getting "part time" work hours can go sign up for "affordable" high risk health insurance...please tell me??

If you can I will email the reporter at the Detroit news, so he can steer this young man in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies