Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What's that old Kirk is guzzling in his photo? Arizona Tea? Oh yea, that does just tons of good for the immune system. People abuse their bodies by drinking and eating crap and then when it catches up with them they come boo hooing about how unfair and hard life is.

He probably just woofed down a hot dog too. Give me a break.

20yrsinBranson
Sometimes I drink Arizona tea...it's a treat for me. Maybe it's a treat for him as well, and he drinks a few a year. Every once in a while I have some regular old kraft mac and cheese...that doesn't mean I eat crappy all the time.

And what's wrong with hot dogs??? What if he ate a soy dog? What about a sausage dog that was made locally with good ingredients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I can't say I share your sentiment. Barack Obama's goal is single-payer health care. Anything he pushes for should be interpreted as a step towards achieving that goal (IMHO.)

In my posts on this thread I am not supporting the Democrats version of reform entirely. I am glad however that the issue is finally taking lead to the point it will hopefully not be dismissed as it has been for the last several years. If the Dems are responsible for making the issue *not go away* well then I'll give them credit for that.

What I see is Dems vs Repubs who are out to destroy the other, and each side sees defeating the others version of reform as a win for their side which will leave nothing done in the end. A loose for the American people in the end.

I don't give a frack who claims victory in this, negotiating by both sides needs to be done because both sides have good points and pitfalls that need to be hashed out.

As far as the thought of "why do I owe someone healthcare". Well you don't but instead of "me vs you" I tend to see it as people pitching in watching each others back by using some tax money if need be to help someone in a bad situation. Because something we all have in common no matter who we are is potential health issues.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What's that old Kirk is guzzling in his photo? Arizona Tea? Oh yea, that does just tons of good for the immune system. People abuse their bodies by drinking and eating crap and then when it catches up with them they come boo hooing about how unfair and hard life is.

He probably just woofed down a hot dog too. Give me a break.

20yrsinBranson
That tea is just green tea with sugar, honey and ginseng. Green tea is actually very good for you. It appears that is at some sort of outside bbq, so what if he ate a hot dog? Does he look like he weighs 300 lbs? I'm in good health and allow myself a hot dog or even a soda every once in a while.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

As far as the thought of "why do I owe someone healthcare". Well you don't but instead of "me vs you" I tend to see it as people pitching in watching each others back by using some tax money if need be to help someone in a bad situation. Because something we all have in common no matter who we are is potential health issues.
This sounds like one of my neighbors. He is rather put out at having to pay full price to have his 75 plus year old Cambodian mother-in-law on Medicare. He thinks we should all help him insure his mother-in-law, as we're such a wealthy country. I view sort of like this ..... We didn't tell him to bring his 75 plus year old Cambodian mother-in-law here to the US. Where does his responsibility for this enter the picture?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
This sounds like one of my neighbors. He is rather put out at having to pay full price to have his 75 plus year old Cambodian mother-in-law on Medicare. He thinks we should all help him insure his mother-in-law, as we're such a wealthy country. I view sort of like this ..... We didn't tell him to bring his 75 plus year old Cambodian mother-in-law here to the US. Where does his responsibility for this enter the picture?

Anything I mention about helping each other when there is no alternative I mean toward citizens, not just anybody. However if someone wants to donate to help people Africa or where ever well so be it.

If a person didn't bother to apply or fill out paper work that would have helped or covered medical treatment than I can't say I feel remorse so much. However a person in a situation where insurance failed them, a chain of events led them to a situation and the treatment will be vastly expensive out of pocket, in this case I would like to think that a few of my tax dollars will save them from a ruined life and hopefully provide them t get back on their feet as a productive member of society.

A horse is a materialistic item, life is not. I'd like to think that we are a country that values life not on what a person's bank account is but as something precious and deserving to all.

Four people need a transplant and only three organs available, it may be a comodity in that case, but when treatment is available but someone can't get it based on expense, well I'd like to think we are better than that.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Are the premiums, co-pays and deductibles to be based upon one's income?
(Sliding scale sort of thing?)
Neither you nor I know exactly what will be in the bill that eventually gets passed. From what I have read, it is more likely that low-income people's premiums will be subsidized than to operate a sliding scale.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sometimes I drink Arizona tea...it's a treat for me. Maybe it's a treat for him as well, and he drinks a few a year. Every once in a while I have some regular old kraft mac and cheese...that doesn't mean I eat crappy all the time.

And what's wrong with hot dogs??? What if he ate a soy dog? What about a sausage dog that was made locally with good ingredients?
Obviously you and newtoli don't get it. The guy has a disorder that impairs his immune functioning. To the point that he has to poo in a flippin' BAG, ok? If you are sick, you FIGHT TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH so that it does not eventually KILL YOU. You eat food that is GOOD FOR YOU, not crap. So that you *just might* actually get better and then you don't have to BEG other people for help because you didn't take care of yourself to begin with.

If this person is not going to actively pursue HEALTH then I hope that nobody bothers wasting their money on him. He obviously does not care enough to do anything about it.

revolting.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-18-2010, 06:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Drinking an iced tea is not going to destroy your health. You're making all of these assumptions off of a picture of the guy drinking an iced tea. Revolting, indeed.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Like a frolicking young puppy...sometimes you just have to slow them down and get them to focus!!
You must be calling yourself the puppy, let me slow things down so that even you understand...
Quote:
If an indivisual has a serious CHRONIC disease that results in flare up that range from fevers to the rupturing of organs, that indivisual in all likely hood will not be afforded medical insurnce that they can afford.
BULL ****... That individual will be afforded FREE medical insurance called disability.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey
But would they have accepted him because he has a pre existing condition?

Yeah, it is kind of like buying auto insurance the day after you have the accident.

He should have had it before the accident.

So as I stated to the previous poster I now state to you; your remark has no merit.
It has no merit if you ignore reality.. It seems that many indeed have no problem doing so and ignore all of the various social safety nets already in place who suffer from CHRONIC diseases..
Quote:
You naively suggest a young man with a chronic medical condition, a history of serious ailments, in a economic recession should have just happliy skipped down to "Insurance "R" us" and receieved the "affordable" heath insurance, certain people keep reminding us, is available right around the corner!!
ITS FREE.. All he needs to do is apply for it, and yes, you can apply AFTER the fact and apply even though you have a CHRONIC disease..
Quote:
Ohh...to be naive and unaware!!
That disability medical care is afforded to those who suffer from CHRONIC sickness.. I agree, but it seems We're talking about individuals who dont know such basic information..

Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Why do some wealthy think they are better than another? , why do some wealthy think they are more important, more righteous as a human being just because of the amount of money they have?

This thread reminds me of the scene from Titantic, where the rich were allowed life boats before the poor.

A senator's son who needs major medical help is no better of a human being than the plumbers son who needs it also.
Dont you think you are better than others? I mean seriously, lets get a dose of reality check.. EVERYONE thinks they are better than someone else... its what makes us human...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies