Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

only a European would think it is the European ethos that drives reinvestment back into a business.

snort.
That's not what I said.

Good lad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Oh..."free",u mean u did not pay a dime.right..?

Stay in the Continent,the land of the...free...
Oh man, you got me. I paid 400 Euro each year. (That was the tuition).
For four years of study that makes 1600 Euro.
This is almost nothing compared the thousands of dollars American students have to pay per year.

Edit: With the tuition you get a ticket for the busses, subway etc. So you save the money on tickets.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:23 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
I will bow out of this banal discussion now.

There is no need at all to get into a "mine is better than yours" game.

As I said earlier, there are things about Europe that are wonderful and instructive for Americans.

There are other areas that make me cringe. Threads like this that try to compare social spending in Europe and America fit that. American defense spending has without question allowed Europeans this luxury.

I will vacate the field so the rest of you can wax eloquent on the subject of European egalitarianism.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,833 times
Quote:
You don’t get to call me Redneck on this forum. There is a rule that you cannot insult fellow posters.

There are those who could call me redneck and I would see it as a compliment.

And yes America saved Europe from Europeans. no need to "divide by zero" to get that answer.
Redneck, you're talking bollox.

The USA were too busy profiteering from 1939 to 1941 to get involved.
Your lot were supplying both sides in the war.

It wasn't until the Japs brought your lot screaming and kicking in to WWII did you take sides.

Quote:

The total number of Germans dead at the hands of the Russians is no indicator that the Russians saved Europe. That is utter nonsense.

I must admit a perverse pleasure in meeting the obtuse. Thank you.
27 million Soviets who died mostly on the Eastern front were decided the outcome of WWII.

Not your lot.

Obtuse

Quote:

Beyond American efforts in WWII that clearly decided the direction of western civilization, it was America that decided the outcome of WWI. And sadly it was America NOT being demanding at Versailles that led to the rise of the Nazi’s. It was a terrible mistake to trust the Europeans to their own fate.
After profiteering from WWI between 1914-1917, America only entered the war when the outcome had already been decided.

And WWI was neither won or lost.
Familiarise yourself with the word armistice.

Just like America won the Korean war, eh, red?

Quote:

And after WWII, it was America that paid for the rebuilding of the continent and it was America that kept the Iron curtain so far east.

Shall we continue? Would you like to review the causes of the German losses in Russia? We can do that. We can also discuss particulars of American industrialization and its impact on WWII.
More crap.

The countries to whom America loaned money following WWII, each repaid those loans with interest.

America did not pay for anything.

Quote:

Or if that fails we could launch a discussion of the impact of Franz Ferdinand’s assassination and the justness of the Austrian cause. We could even reach deep into European history and review the impact of mercantilism on the European “balance of power” theory. We could review any number of things that led to both the wars of the last century and their impact on the European anti-war ethos of today.
justness?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:56 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Oh man, you got me. I paid 400 Euro each year. (That was the tuition).
For four years of study that makes 1600 Euro.
This is almost nothing compared the thousands of dollars American students have to pay per year.

Edit: With the tuition you get a ticket for the busses, subway etc. So you save the money on tickets.

Tell us about your income tax,
your ss tax , ( 30% ? ),
your gas tax (...150% ? ) ,
& most of all,your VAT tax... ( 18 to 22%..? ).

Tell us about your rent /mortgage...

Goodbye...

Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM

54 posts, read 46,893 times
Quote:
Tell us about your income tax,
your ss tax , ( 30% ? ),
your gas tax (...150% ? ) ,
& most of all,your VAT tax... ( 18 to 22%..? ).

Tell us about your rent /mortgage...

Goodbye...
Didn't I tell you to stop BSing people when you have no clue

Last edited by Tasse; 03-17-2010 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 05:17 PM

My clue is obvious,the slimy euro commie weasels go "light" on tuition
& drink your blood through other ways of taxation...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 PM

54 posts, read 46,893 times
Quote:
My clue is obvious,the slimy euro commie weasels go "light" on tuition
& drink your blood through other ways of taxation...
Remember what I said?

Quote:
Didn't I tell you to stop BSing people when you have no clue

Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
The USA were too busy profiteering from 1939 to 1941 to get involved. Your lot were supplying both sides in the war.
The US propped up China and the British, the Germans never received any war material from the US, the British controlled all shipping in the Atlantic. When Hitler invaded the USSR, the US became the Soviet Union's biggest supplier using rail lines from the East to bring supplies to the front lines. By the end of the war, most Soviet trucks were made in the USA.

Quote:
27 million Soviets who died mostly on the Eastern front were decided the outcome of WWII.
The USSR did not fight a single naval battle, nor did they participate in any island hopping campaigns in the Pacific. The war continued for several months even after Europe dropped out.

Quote:
After profiteering from WWI between 1914-1917, America only entered the war when the outcome had already been decided.
Perhaps, but there is no way the Allies could have backed the terms of the Armistice without the additional 2 million American troops standing behind them. Although technically the US never joined the Allies, we were operating as a third party against Germany. I believe we never should have joined the war; let Europeans kill each other and quit trying to drag everyone else down with them.

Quote:
And WWI was neither won or lost.
True, although one could say that in the long run it was a loss for the Allies, seeing as it paved the way for the rise of Hitler and the Nazi party in Germany.

Quote:
The countries to whom America loaned money following WWII, each repaid those loans with interest.

America did not pay for anything.
Issuing a loan is a form of payment. The British finished paying off theirs back in 2006. Most European countries under the Marshall Plan had their debts to the US forgiven in the 50s, except for Germany. We also forgave all of the African countries that owed us money from WWII in the 90s.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasse View Post
Remember what I said?

Was I talking to u ..?
Don't hijack replies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies