Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Europe is far bigger and much more populous than the USA, as you say.

Large tracts of Europe (Eastern European countries admitted to the EU) never had the infrasturctural development for third level education establishments.

What is noticeable is the deterioration in US educational standards, which although always trailing Europe appears to be in a state of perpetual decline.

God Bless Europe.
Why are you being so jingoistic about this? I'm like the least "rah rah whatever nation I happened to be born in" person you'll meet, but you're being a little biased here.

13 of the top 20 universities on this particular British-based ranking (very subjective are rankings) come from ONE country out of almost 200 - the US.

Also, isn't it logical that as the global economy emerges, other countries would naturally start to rise? Doesn't necessarily mean we're falling, though the past 8 years of anti-scientific ideology at the healm had a marked impact on research grants and applications to US universities over universities in more advanced societies.

I think these rankings focus a lot on research. Quite different from US News, considering Dartmouth and WUSL get ranked in the top 10 on that US-centric one and at 85 and 73 here.

God bless me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
I'd love to see your explanation as to how 32 is greater than 40.
Quality over quantity. 60% of the top 10 are American universities, 65% in the top 20 are American universities. Pretty simple concept actually. Reminds me of the Olympics.. Just because a country gets 50 medals does not mean much if only 5 of them are gold.

Quote:
You need to take on board the fact that Europe is now a single entity.
Now I would like your explanation for when and how the 50 nations of Europe merged together as one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasse View Post
U.S.News & World Report’s 2009 World’s Best Universities rankings are based on data from the QS World University Rankings.
Don't be a smart arse, look at the weighting of the other factors, such as International faculty and students or student-to-faculty ratio.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Quote:
Top 100 universities in the world listing shows Europe has 40 of the top 100 universities and the USA has 32.

Not surprisng really.

The world's top 100 universities listed | Education | guardian.co.uk

God Bless Europe.
Hmmmm....

HARVARD University United States 2
University of CAMBRIDGE United Kingdom 3
YALE University United States 4
UCL (University College London) United Kingdom 5
IMPERIAL College London United Kingdom 5
University of OXFORD United Kingdom 7
University of CHICAGO United States 8
PRINCETON University United States 9
MASSACHUSETTS Institute of Technology (MIT) United States 10
CALIFORNIA Institute of Technology (Caltech) United States 11
COLUMBIA University United States 12
University of PENNSYLVANIA United States 13
JOHNS HOPKINS University United States 14
DUKE University United States 15
CORNELL University United States 16
STANFORD University United States 17
AUSTRALIAN National University Australia 18
MCGILL University Canada 19
University of MICHIGAN United States 20
ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) Switzerland

Looks like United States got number one, and hey it looks like we got 13 of the top 20! Yep, I can play with numbers also to make my case look better!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why are you being so jingoistic about this? I'm like the least "rah rah whatever nation I happened to be born in" person you'll meet, but you're being a little biased here.

13 of the top 20 universities on this particular ranking (very subjective rankings are) come from ONE country out of almost 200 - the US.

Also, isn't it logical that as the global economy emerges other countries will start to rise? Doesn't necessarily mean we're falling, though the past 8 years of anti-scientific ideology at the healm had a marked impact on research grants and applications to US universities over universities in more advanced societies.
Hey.
You need to direct the rah rah critique to some of your fellow citizens here, who operate under the misapprehension that we're in the 1950's.

I'm stirring the barrel here.

You seem to be an enlightened American and yes, you're correct it is more important to focus on why other regions are improving and try copy/adapt
what they're doing.

I fear for your country and the effect of the dark ages (2000-2008).
Not least in terms of learning/awareness of the greater world.
You only have to look that the content of posts of certain posters to realise that in many ways the USA has reached the bottom of the barrel.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Hmmmm....

HARVARD University United States 2
University of CAMBRIDGE United Kingdom 3
YALE University United States 4
UCL (University College London) United Kingdom 5
IMPERIAL College London United Kingdom 5
University of OXFORD United Kingdom 7
University of CHICAGO United States 8
PRINCETON University United States 9
MASSACHUSETTS Institute of Technology (MIT) United States 10
CALIFORNIA Institute of Technology (Caltech) United States 11
COLUMBIA University United States 12
University of PENNSYLVANIA United States 13
JOHNS HOPKINS University United States 14
DUKE University United States 15
CORNELL University United States 16
STANFORD University United States 17
AUSTRALIAN National University Australia 18
MCGILL University Canada 19
University of MICHIGAN United States 20
ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) Switzerland

Looks like United States got number one, and hey it looks like we got 13 of the top 20! Yep, I can play with numbers also to make my case look better!
Well you go and create a thread entitled "Top 20 universities in the world"

Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Quality over quantity. 60% of the top 10 are American universities, 65% in the top 20 are American universities. Pretty simple concept actually. Reminds me of the Olympics.. Just because a country gets 50 medals does not mean much if only 5 of them are gold.
Whoops! 65% of the top 20 are from the US? Ouch!

Quote:
Now I would like your explanation for when and how the 50 nations of Europe merged together as one.
They haven't, its just his way of excusing the fact that Europe is inferior to the US, in virtually every way. He likes to lump the 50 against 1 to try and make it look like a competition. Epic fail.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 PM

54 posts, read 46,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Whoops! 65% of the top 20 are from the US? Ouch!

They haven't, its just his way of excusing the fact that Europe is inferior to the US, in virtually every way. He likes to lump the 50 against 1 to try and make it look like a competition. Epic fail.
Stop being delusional.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm.

And what about the fact that the number of universities qualifying in the top 100 has been decreasing year on year????

I reckon I've hit a sore spot here, frankie, eh?

Did you read the methodology ? Or do you need me to explain that to you too?

Quote:
Frank mate, those of us on here in the EU refer to the EU as Europe.
Maybe I should have been clearer in my earlier post and expressed the term EU as opposed to Europe.

naughty boy that I am.

How much further ahead would Europe be if I was to include those additional countries.

There's a thought now.

Quote:
Don't be a smart arse, look at the weighting of the other factors, such as International faculty and students or student-to-faculty ratio.
The methodology isn't going down to well, I see.
Tough ain't it?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
You're correct.
Europe doesn't rival the USA.

Europe surpasses the USA.

God Bless Europe.
There are several surveys each with different criteria. For example there is the Times of London survey:
University top 200 in full - Times Online

Where American universities dominate the top 25. But you won't see me saying "God Bless America" as I'm not a pubescent juvenile; nor am I easily swayed by any survey (I use my head).

Another established survey is the Academic Ranking of World Universities:
ARWU 2009
The top 19 universities are American and the only Asian university (#20) is the University of Tokyo.

You should also be aware that a University can go up and down from one year to the next when they change their criteria. So please contain your "God Bless Europe"; use your head, look at any survey as a discussion point and not a basis for bragging rights as your perceived superiority is easily challenged.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
I should have taken up my place at Imperial College London when I was offered it!
That janitorship looks pretty sweet in retrospect,eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies