Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Unless, of course, they would never be given private insurance because of pre existing conditions.

Not everyone qualifies.
I don't qualify to be "given" insurance. either.

I have to purchase it.

Ms Pelosi would like the people with day jobs to pay for their health care and the healthcare of the aspiring artists, writers, ect.

What responsibility do the aspiring artists, writers, ect have, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I don't qualify to be "given" insurance. either.

I have to purchase it.

Ms Pelosi would like the people with day jobs to pay for their health care and the healthcare of the aspiring artists, writers, ect.

What responsibility do the aspiring artists, writers, ect have, if any?
And what if the aspiring artists/writers/etc. wanted to buy health insurance, but were turned down?

I wanted to become a private pilot (self employed) but nobody will give me insurance even if I wanted to pay so I don't really have a choice but to work full time. People in the arts aren't the only ones who want to be self employed that won't be able to have health insurance.

And yes, I don't mind giving up part of my salary (of which I already do as charity) to help out someone else with health issues.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And what if the aspiring artists/writers/etc. wanted to buy health insurance, but were turned down?

I wanted to become a private pilot (self employed) but nobody will give me insurance even if I wanted to pay so I don't really have a choice but to work full time. People in the arts aren't the only ones who want to be self employed that won't be able to have health insurance.

And yes, I don't mind giving up part of my salary (of which I already do as charity) to help out someone else with health issues.
Depends upon what state you purchase the insurance in. NY sells insurance to self employed that has no preexisting condition, but the cost is high. Wonder if this will also be the scenario if the health reform passes....higher premiums for all due to no preexisting clause. The $750 a year penalty for those not following the mandate to purchase health insurance( supposedly if they get big enough pools the insurance companies will eliminate the pre existing conditions) looks like a better choice than a 15 thousand a year premium for a family.
The trillion dollar question is: Will these pools get big enough to offer the elimination of the pre existing clause without the HUGE premium increases found in NY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies