U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:12 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,794,066 times

Advertisements

Real classy.

YouTube - Tea Partiers Mock And Scorn Apparent Parkinson's Victim
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 PM

7,987 posts, read 12,063,082 times
Ummmm.....how would this be any different than when Obama made fun of handicap people in Special Olympics???? Real classy of Obama.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 PM

I never defended the bad joke Obama made a Leno's show. Are you defending these tea partiers?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM

5,715 posts, read 14,393,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Ummmm.....how would this be any different than when Obama made fun of handicap people in Special Olympics???? Real classy of Obama.
There's a big difference between literally getting up in a disabled man's face, publicly humiliating him and someone making an offhand comment that wasn't intended to be offensive...

I'm sure no one here has ever made an unintentionally "harmful" comment that wasn't politically correct.

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-17-2010 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM

7,987 posts, read 12,063,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
I never defended the bad joke Obama made a Leno's show. Are you defending these tea partiers?
Both are wrong. Just keeping things equal. What a shame obama made fun of Special Olympics......we elected this man......the tea party people are citizens and while I don't agree with what they said, they aren't elected officials.

So I guess if the tea party comment disgust you, you are disgusted by obama's comment as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 11,078,671 times
Oddly, the video was very short. I doubt the interaction lasted only 30 seconds. I wonder if the person with the vid had an agenda and left out footage that would paint a different picture. Always have to wonder when such a short vid shows up on the web.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Oddly, the video was very short. I doubt the interaction lasted only 30 seconds. I wonder if the person with the vid had an agenda and left out footage that would paint a different picture. Always have to wonder when such a short vid shows up on the web.
Who cares. The point is that these people acted like complete jerks to a fellow American who is struggling with a terrible disease.

There's also a full length video on You Tube BTW, with other interviews and footage from the same event. One man said that he wishes that the dialogue between both sides could be more civil. I completely agree.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM

5,369 posts, read 5,037,916 times
Quote:

If you can't see the difference between someone trying badly at being funny (with no intent to degrade anyone) and the actions of those who are of limited intelligence (and who's intent is clearly shown), I can guess which group you might have more in common with.

Here's the full version that the Columbus Dispatch published:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_PX5L_v_7I

Last edited by plannine; 03-17-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Both are wrong. Just keeping things equal. What a shame obama made fun of Special Olympics......we elected this man......the tea party people are citizens and while I don't agree with what they said, they aren't elected officials.

So I guess if the tea party comment disgust you, you are disgusted by obama's comment as well.
I really don't think making a bad joke about bowling like the special olympics on a late night talk show is equal to throwing money and mocking a dude suffering from Parkinson's. C'mon now.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM

16,876 posts, read 14,307,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post

apparent is the key word. if one of them knew he was either faking it or did not have that dreadful desease, then I could see why they were mocking him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies