Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Long story made very short.

Fact: Homosexuality and homosexuals have long be stigmatized in the US.

It was a capital crime (people were executed for it in the US) until the mid 1800s in most states. Until 2002 gay sex was illegal in parts of the US. A restaurant can refuse me service in most sates in the US because I'm gay - still. Even today, 25% of gay teenages in the US who tell their parents are disowned and thrown out of the house.

Fact: Stigmitization leads to shame.

Most gays know they are gay at an early age. I knew at 10 - that's fairly standard. At 10, I also knew that people hated gays, that I was wrong to be gay, and that I should be deeply ashamed at who I am and that I needed to hide it at all costs.

Fact: Internalized shame leads to lots of issues.

Gays, in general, are pretty messed up emotionally and psychologically - especially in their teens and early 20s. We're only 5% of the population, yet half of homeless teens are gay, and half of teen suicides are committed by gays and lesbians. I was salutatorian of my HS, an all state cross country runner, started college at 17. I also left college (UNC Chapel Hill) at 17 because I was on the verge of killing myself - and I was raised in a liberal household with 2 atheists for parents. I've heard horror stories from gays who grew up in religiously fundamental households. It's rare I meet a gay person who, as a teenager, did not either attempt or seriously contemplate killing him or herself.

As a result, many gays turn to drugs, alcohol, and sex as a means of self-medication. Much more so than heterosexuals. Gays have very high rates of crystal meth abuse, alcohol abuse, unhealthy sex addictions, etc for the reasons I briefly summarized above.

This all helps explain the high rates of HIV in gay men. It also suggests a remedy for all these related problems - societal acceptance.

Other factors:

The epidemiological fact that HIV first hit the US via gays.
Rectal tissue is extremely susceptible to HIV.
Ignorance. Many young gays today don't see HIV as a problem - I have a friend who once told me that HIV was like having a cold - they have medicine for it now. (Oddly enough, this friend was the president of the Young Republicans at the University of Oregon)
The true reason why homosexuals have so many issues is because there is no real peace within. The whole world can validate and accept homosexuality but that will never bring the inner peace that you guys trully crave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 01:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
trully? How you do chatter...

Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And your point is what? Gay men are bad human beings? That's the impression I get from your posts - over and over again. It seems like it's an obsession.
Why don't the gay community own up to these statistics and be more responsible for protecting themselves from HIV/AIDS/VD?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What you fail to realize and continue to insinuate over, and over again... is that NOBODY in this thread is demonizing gay men, we are having an open discussion about a subgroup within the gay community which after 35 years of living with an epidemic which by and large overwhelming affects a specific group in the United States because of careless sexual behavior, and we're attempting to figure how why it continues.

I have posted the same news clip with a video at least 11 times if not more and NOBODY wants to watch the clip and draw the conclusion that the predatory sexual behavior of homosexuals is what keeps the HIV rate high.

When I make that statement, I get you, and others bringing up the fact that HIV is transmitted by heterosexual sex in the developing world... Well we all know this, but the subject of this thread is about the CDC report and as it relates to HIV transmission in the USA.

From what I see in this thread and other threads about HIV gays want to play the blame game constantly.

It's time the blame game stops and you stand in a mirror and point it at yourselves because that's where HIV transmission begins and ends in the USA.

Isn't it time something was done to curb the predatory sexual appetite which is shown in that news clip?

You may not be able to change "who you are" but you can do something about changing your behavior.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:57 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Long story made very short.

Fact: Homosexuality and homosexuals have long be stigmatized in the US.

It was a capital crime (people were executed for it in the US) until the mid 1800s in most states. Until 2002 gay sex was illegal in parts of the US. A restaurant can refuse me service in most sates in the US because I'm gay - still. Even today, 25% of gay teenages in the US who tell their parents are disowned and thrown out of the house.

Fact: Stigmitization leads to shame.

Most gays know they are gay at an early age. I knew at 10 - that's fairly standard. At 10, I also knew that people hated gays, that I was wrong to be gay, and that I should be deeply ashamed at who I am and that I needed to hide it at all costs.

Fact: Internalized shame leads to lots of issues.

Gays, in general, are pretty messed up emotionally and psychologically - especially in their teens and early 20s. We're only 5% of the population, yet half of homeless teens are gay, and half of teen suicides are committed by gays and lesbians. I was salutatorian of my HS, an all state cross country runner, started college at 17. I also left college (UNC Chapel Hill) at 17 because I was on the verge of killing myself - and I was raised in a liberal household with 2 atheists for parents. I've heard horror stories from gays who grew up in religiously fundamental households. It's rare I meet a gay person who, as a teenager, did not either attempt or seriously contemplate killing him or herself.

As a result, many gays turn to drugs, alcohol, and sex as a means of self-medication. Much more so than heterosexuals. Gays have very high rates of crystal meth abuse, alcohol abuse, unhealthy sex addictions, etc for the reasons I briefly summarized above.

This all helps explain the high rates of HIV in gay men. It also suggests a remedy for all these related problems - societal acceptance.

Other factors:

The epidemiological fact that HIV first hit the US via gays.
Rectal tissue is extremely susceptible to HIV.
Ignorance. Many young gays today don't see HIV as a problem - I have a friend who once told me that HIV was like having a cold - they have medicine for it now. (Oddly enough, this friend was the president of the Young Republicans at the University of Oregon)
You know what, there are people who don't accept all form and fashion of human life and they never will. Why do you think that the responsibility lies with the general population to accept homosexuality in order to heal the gay community? People are free to have any opinion they want about whatever subject they choose.

I say time and again I have said in other posts that I don't accept homosexual behavior as normal or healthy because I don't understand that compulsion. It doesn't mean you condemn the human being behind the behavior when it's the behavior that's the issue.

When the behavior is what is in question for the proliferation of a particular disease, isn't it time that the behavior is called into question? Do you associate wholeheartedly with the behavior behind homosexuality before you define yourself as a man, or do you identify and associate yourself with being a man first before your sexual behavior? I don't know too many heterosexuals who have to constantly reinforce their sexuality on a daily basis just to survive. Why do gays?

Why can restaurants specifically refuse to serve homosexuals? Are you having sex in the open view of restaurant patrons?

Who would know you're a homosexual unless you told them?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Well obviously - does that even need to be said? Clearly God hates gays, and he designed a disease specifically to target and punish, or cure them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that obvious logical connection.

Why else is it that only gay men have HIV?
I never stated that God hates gays or that AIDS was a method of God to punish them. AIDS is primarily transmitted through unprotected sex and, according to the CDC report, homosexual men have 44% higher risk.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well obviously - does that even need to be said? Clearly God hates gays, and he designed a disease specifically to target and punish, or cure them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that obvious logical connection.

Why else is it that only gay men have HIV?
By the way, God never designed ANY diseases. Diseases are a natural consequence of the sinful, fallen world we live in. All of us, regardless of sexual orientation, is a sinner in need of God's grace.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The true reason why homosexuals have so many issues is because there is no real peace within. The whole world can validate and accept homosexuality but that will never bring the inner peace that you guys trully crave.
Ma'am. I'm perfectly content with who I am. I am at inner peace, and completely love myself as I am. I try to find joy in everything I do, and improve myself with every action. I'm proud I'm a homosexual, I'm glad I'm a homosexual, and not for all the money in the world I for even a second consider changing that part of myself.

I took me awhile to get to this level of contentment - it's hard to overcome deep seeded, internalized shame and self-hatred that's seared into the mind of every gay American from the time he or she is a small child. Unfortunately, some never overcome this abuse and turn to self-destructive behaviors as a means to cope. These behaviors can have dire consequences (individually, and to a society collectively).

A word of advice - If you want to help: Love and Accept. Find a homosexual and tell him you love and accept him for who he is. Even better, find a 13 or 14 year old homosexual and tell him there is nothing wrong with him. Repudiate those who express hatred and disdain for their fellow man. Love and acceptance - isn't the the right way, the human way, the Christan way to treat each other?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Ma'am. I'm perfectly content with who I am. I am at inner peace, and completely love myself as I am. I try to find joy in everything I do, and improve myself with every action. I'm proud I'm a homosexual, I'm glad I'm a homosexual, and not for all the money in the world I for even a second consider changing that part of myself.

I took me awhile to get to this level of contentment - it's hard to overcome deep seeded, internalized shame and hatred that's seared into the mind of every gay American from the time he or she is a small child. Unfortunately, some never overcome this abuse and turn to self-destructive behaviors as a means to cope. These behaviors can have dire consequences (individually, and to a society collectively).

A word of advice - If you want to help: Love and Accept. Find a homosexual and tell him you love and accept him for who he is. Even better, find a 13 or 14 year old homosexual and tell him there is nothing wrong with him. Repudiate those who expresses hatred and disdain for their fellow man. Love an acceptance - isn't the the right way, the human way, the Christan way to treat each other?
All of that is violins and roses, in a perfect world it would be that simple.

Do you think that all the acceptance in the world will make the HIV infection rate go down?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Do you think that all the acceptance in the world will make the HIV infection rate go down?
In the gay community - drastically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies