Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times

Advertisements

I really don't think Republicans are going to pick up much seats in November. Many still have a bad taste in their mouths from the Bush years. Once Health Reform is passed, democrats will have accomplishments...Republicans will have 0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I really don't think Republicans are going to pick up much seats in November. Many still have a bad taste in their mouths from the Bush years.
Then tell me why Obama only won by a few percentage points over "Bush 3", i.e. McCain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Once Health Reform is passed, democrats will have accomplishments...Republicans will have 0.
Its not positive to increase everyones taxes in the nation, even if you want to pretend it is.. I'll be more than happy to vote for those that have "0" in this instance because I understand the government isnt there to support the citizens..

Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I agree, polls mean nothing if the candidate cheats the election, a la 2000 and 2004.
In all fairness, don't Democrats and Republicans cheat pretty much on an equal basis? The 2000 election was carried out according to the Constitution after the questionable ballot counting was completed. The faulty processes before the supreme court decision were of a type that both parties have been rightly accused of.

And how was it that 2004 was a cheat?

I know, there are documentaries and articles and such to back up these claims. I voted the same as you and never wanted Bush as president, but when the results were done I accepted the decisions and was annoyed by the incessant noise about how Bush stole the election.

I am 100% certain that, had Gore won in the same manner that Bush did, with the exact same circumstances reversed to favor Gore instead of Bush, not one Democrat would have been crying about how Gore stole the election. Instead, it would be Republicans who would be bleating about it.

Two parties. One human nature. We're all basically the same in spite of our differing labels and categories.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I am constantly reading some thread about Obama's polls, predictions of being a one term president, of all sorts of soothsaying, tea leaf reading, and other attempts at prognostication of incipient conservative electoral victories.

A few words of caution. In the run up the 2004 presidential election, with two wars going nowhere, the economy barely limping along, you couldn't find a Democrat who believed that it would be possible for President George W. Bush to win reelection. Well we all know how that turned out.

Folks who make a living at electoral politics will tell you that the 2010 elections in political years is a life time, 2012 might has well be in the next millennium. So, let's hold off on the poll watching electoral prognostication until at least Labor Day. It could be as important to your health and sanity as healthcare.
The Iraq war put GWB back in office for a second term. Conservatives and especially Independents weren't comfortable changing horses midstream. I don't think Obama will enjoy the same sentiment in 2012 considering the Iraq War is basically a thing of the past. Additionally, he set a timetable on the Afghan war, so that benefit seemingly flies right out the window.

What does that leave him? The economy and his leadership ability. When Democrats get ousted in November, he'll be on his knees praying to the Republican Gods to please allow him to at least put forth an Agenda.

The bottom line is Obama let Democrats in Congress **** away his political capital. As such, his 2012 election prospects just don't seem to be trending toward a good day for the President.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I agree, polls mean nothing if the candidate cheats the election, a la 2000 and 2004.
Yes, Gore did try to cheat in 2000 but at least he didn't win.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
The thing with obama is the democrats went out in 2000 and tried to explain and explain their policies and lost. So in 2004 they explained and explained again and again they lost.
Come 2008 obama explained nothing and won.
Did they provide a confused message in 2000 and 2004 or were their policies just not popular?Well it doesn't matter if you dont actually talk policies and instead talk hope and emotions. It was a brilliant strategy for election 2008.It won't work for 2012 so the dems better hope their actual policies work better in the us than they have anywhere else in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies