Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:46 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times

Advertisements

So I can't afford health insurance, I am unemployed, I have zero children and I am not disabled meaning I do not qualify for assistance.

If they pass this healthcare bill, and I am forced by my government to buy health insurance without a job and without money, and they fine me when I give them the middle finger.....again no job or money to pay this fine.....

I think I'll just sit in jail to make my point. To myself...until America gets off the fence and starts marching to take back its country. Just march for me because I'll be in jail. At least I will be able to see a doctor without a $2,500.00 medical bill on my credit that way.

XD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
You'll probably be working before this kicks in in 2013, though.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times
I graduate with my bachelor's degree this summer, and I do hope you are right, however where I live now, hardly any jobs offer health insurance. Most of the chain companies are gone from this area and their offices are up for rent or sale. All that is left are the small businesses with less than 20 employees and they don't offer insurance.

In order not to starve, my husband is working contract work from his home office. Assistance tells him he makes too much money to be on medical benefits from the state which is fine...however we sometimes go weeks to over a month without a paycheck, to which after rent/food/bills are paid out, we don't have money for doctors or insurance or anything.

Being taxed and fined for not having insurance makes me sick to my stomach. We are already pushed into a corner in this country, I can't likely suffer this way for much longer should the jobs continue to decrease in our area.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 AM

302 posts, read 580,237 times
If the middle class is losing their insurance at higher rates it's because the middle class is losing jobs at higher rates. My husband is for the first time since he was 16 years old not working, it has been almost 2 months of phone calls and emails and no unemployment yet so paying for Cobra... not an option. We are living on our dwindling 401K.

We are now part of the uninsured. Had Obama put any effort toward job creation, the economy, anything other than health care I don't think you'd be seeing that rise in the uninsured middle class people would still be working. Obama needs for the economy to be in a mess to pass health care. That is why he keeps tying the two together in his rah rah speeches across the nation.

Obama and his cronies are in effect holding the economy down until he gets his way. After that the rest of the stimulus money will make it's way into the economy and give it a push or a false boost for the November elections. His timing may be off because of the amount of time it's taking Nancy pants to get it passed. This could result in any economic help not taking hold until its too late to save his party's collective butts.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,169,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
I graduate with my bachelor's degree this summer, and I do hope you are right, however where I live now, hardly any jobs offer health insurance. Most of the chain companies are gone from this area and their offices are up for rent or sale. All that is left are the small businesses with less than 20 employees and they don't offer insurance.

In order not to starve, my husband is working contract work from his home office. Assistance tells him he makes too much money to be on medical benefits from the state which is fine...however we sometimes go weeks to over a month without a paycheck, to which after rent/food/bills are paid out, we don't have money for doctors or insurance or anything.

Being taxed and fined for not having insurance makes me sick to my stomach. We are already pushed into a corner in this country, I can't likely suffer this way for much longer should the jobs continue to decrease in our area.
Would being turned away from an emergency room with a broken leg make you sick to your stomach. Or do you just expect taxpayers to pay your bills.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Would being turned away from an emergency room with a broken leg make you sick to your stomach. Or do you just expect taxpayers to pay your bills.
Emergency rooms are not allowed to turn people away. This is how the illegals get their healthcare. You are misinformed on ER's.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
I have been paying other people's bills all of my life. Never gotten anything for free but watched the "poor" get free health care, glasses, groceries (steak, shrimp, etc) in their carts while I was taking out cans of tuna! Watched them go for their free checkups while I couldn't afford a doctor when I was very sick. Now I will be paying for health care when I can't even afford groceries.
I will be sitting in jail with you because there is no possible way to afford it.
Then we will have the IRS as police so a lot of us will be in jail together!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Emergency rooms are not allowed to turn people away. This is how the illegals get their healthcare. You are misinformed on ER's.
Wyoning no pay no treatment.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, in the USA, the so-called poor live better. They have more food, free college, free health care, better clothes. Who would want to work hard in this country and just be stuck paying all the bills?
Just wait until the SHTF and things are so bad here the rich people all leave. Then there will be nobody left to pay for the comfortable lifestyle of the poor and the poor will become indigent and the middle class will become poor. It has been predicted that in the not too distant future, cars will cost $200,000!

This is what many many people are predicting and without making wholesale changes in Washington and make sure none of the Republicans and Democrats who voted for disease care and for the bank bailouts and for any expansion of government programs or new ones get re-elected. We need to elect HONEST fiscally RESPONSIBLE people to office for a change who won't just say what people want to hear during their campaign and once elected do the exact opposite.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:03 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Oh guess what! I just read that one of the provisions in Obama's disease care plan they are "voting" on (supposedly), is that if people don't sign up for disease care the IRS will be able to confiscate any IRS refund you are owed. How many Obama fans like that idea. Not only will you be FORCED to get something you may not want that will cost a LOT OF MONEY and you'll be paying for it for a few years before you even get any of the so-called benefits, but if you DON'T sign up, good old Uncle Sam can come after you.

Hopefully this provision will be taken out but what if it isn't? Do you think our Founding Fathers intended to punish Americans this way if they didn't buy insurance? I don't. Do you think they wanted Americans to be slaves to the government? Not at all. The government works for the people NOT the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies