Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:02 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why would you say that? Are you assuming that most Democrats are poor or on welfare?

Obama won the segment of voters making $200,000+.
I'm saying anyone who thinks they can pay more in taxes, isn't paying anywhere near what my family is now. As to the misguided people who loathed Bush like me, it's really sad we were offered an unknown as an alternative. Believe me, those people, as well as the rest of us, will pay dearly for their naivete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I'm saying anyone who thinks they can pay more in taxes, isn't paying anywhere near what my family is now. As to the misguided people who loathed Bush like me, it's really sad we were offered an unknown as an alternative. Believe me, those people, as well as the rest of us, will pay dearly for their naivete.
There was always third party and/or write in.

But people thought they were voting for the lesser of two evils.
Do you still believe that now ?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:34 AM

108 posts, read 113,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why would you say that? Are you assuming that most Democrats are poor or on welfare?

Obama won the segment of voters making $200,000+.

I don't think anyone was suggesting all Dems. are poor. But If this Bill does pass we "all" will be paying more in Taxes. I don't care how much smoke Obama blows up our butts. He has lied from the very beginning so what makes you think he's telling the truth now. Harry Reid has already made the statement that this is only the first step to a single payer system. How long do you think your Employer will keep paying for Insurance when they can just pay a fine and let you be dumped into a government plan. The Government will slowly get rid of Other insurance carriers.
If they get away with this where will it stop??? Next they will ram through all the other Bills Obama has tried to get passed like CAP and TAX, now that will really cost "We" the TAX PAYERS!!!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 AM

108 posts, read 113,452 times
The White House and Biden are telling these stupid Reps. of ours that "they just need to get the Bill passed" once "We" stupid people know it's for "Our " good "They" will be rewarded. Just ignore the poles and the threat of loosing their seat. Just Pass The Bill!!!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Not quite the definition of self-righteousness, but very close.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredElizabeth View Post
I don't think anyone was suggesting all Dems. are poor. But If this Bill does pass we "all" will be paying more in Taxes. I don't care how much smoke Obama blows up our butts. He has lied from the very beginning so what makes you think he's telling the truth now. Harry Reid has already made the statement that this is only the first step to a single payer system. How long do you think your Employer will keep paying for Insurance when they can just pay a fine and let you be dumped into a government plan. The Government will slowly get rid of Other insurance carriers.
If they get away with this where will it stop??? Next they will ram through all the other Bills Obama has tried to get passed like CAP and TAX, now that will really cost "We" the TAX PAYERS!!!!!
the one flaw in our system of government that needs to be fixed is that you cannot have a recall election at the federal level. that would certainly limit the amount of damage that any president could do.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Default The Late, Great, Country: America

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was always third party and/or write in.
But people thought they were voting for the lesser of two evils.
Do you still believe that now ?
I couldn't vote for Obama because I took note of the arguments that he'd take the Bush overspending as a precedent, and spend us into levels impossible to comprehend by even the most pessimistic of us. Those people where right, and then some. I knew it would be bad, but I never thought the country had no hope left. Now that's where I am.

A third party write-in has no possibility of winning. There's a reason it has never happened. The last possibility was Ross Perot, and when he realized he might win, he added a total nut on as Vice President. That cost him the election, along with the prevailing sentiment that "voting for a 3rd party candidate is throwing your vote away." It was obvious he wanted to make a statement, but didn't want to win (for whatever reason). At the time, it was considered the last chance a 3rd candidate had of ever coming close, since politics were becoming at that point even beyond the reach of the ultra-rich who might fund their own campaigns.

Telling the people they could vote for a 3rd party candidate is implying people have a REAL voice in our government, which they don't. Vote for Clone A or Clone B, or don't vote, it doesn't matter. One of the clones will get elected and claim a "mandate" to do whatever extends the power, scope and spending of government.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Default The Definition of Self-Righteous

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Not quite the definition of self-righteousness, but very close.
So you have a right to claim even more than the 1/2 of the income already lost to government; the money my husband and I work 80 hours a week to earn, and have since we were 16? And you think I"M self-righteous? You are claiming MY EARNINGS! Tell me, oh Democrat, why are you entitled to 80% or 90% of the money that cost us our health and quality of life to earn?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:14 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Well we get to bleed more people like you. Until they run out of people like you and then what?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
So you have a right to claim even more than the 1/2 of the income already lost to government; the money my husband and I work 80 hours a week to earn, and have since we were 16? And you think I"M self-righteous? You are claiming MY EARNINGS! Tell me, oh Democrat, why are you entitled to 80% or 90% of the money that cost us our health and quality of life to earn?
Sounds like you have issues with the graduated tax structure and the issues of fairness in that. I also pay a significant percent of tax, but I understand why the structure is as it is. I, also, much prefer being in the position of having to deal with that, than not being in such a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies