Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't buy a can of tuna with a hope of a promise it will turn into caviar....price to be ascertained at a later date and only discovered when I get my credit card bill.
floridabob doesn't appear to be bothered about buying a pig in a poke or the fact that he may only end up with pig's feet instead of pork chops.
How well this process turns out, I don't know, neither do you. I do know, that unless we start, which we have, there is NO possibility of it turning out well. As time goes on, it is in large part, up to us to send people to Congress that will shape it for the better. It will be a long process, and I don't care for pork chops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 05:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
How well this process turns out, I don't know, neither do you. I do know, that unless we start, which we have, there is NO possibility of it turning out well. As time goes on, it is in large part, up to us to send people to Congress that will shape it for the better. It will be a long process, and I don't care for pork chops.

This Health Care bill is similar to the one that was passed in Massachusetts earlier on in the decade. Lets ask them how it turned out shall we?

I'm sure they can shed some light to this revolution for "hope and change".

Old 04-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
This Health Care bill is similar to the one that was passed in Massachusetts earlier on in the decade. Lets ask them how it turned out shall we?

I'm sure they can shed some light to this revolution for "hope and change".
They are similar in basic structure but significantly different in financing and cost containment. The problems in Mass, is the cost containment.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-similar-law-/

Old 04-10-2010, 05:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
They are similar in basic structure but significantly different in financing and cost containment. The problems in Mass, is the cost containment.

PolitiFact | Krugman calls Senate health care bill similar to law in Massachusetts
I hope you don't mind me asking you for a clearer definition of this "Cost Containment". Can you please explain?

I only debate things when I fully understand the meaning of what others are saying haha, otherwise it would make me seem like the politicians of today, jumping on to the wagon and mindlessly making accusations. I hope you don't mind.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking you for a clearer definition of this "Cost Containment". Can you please explain?

I only debate things when I fully understand the meaning of what others are saying haha, otherwise it would make me seem like the politicians of today, jumping on to the wagon and mindlessly making accusations. I hope you don't mind.
The link provided a synopsis of the differences in cost containment and financing between a State and a Federal plan, obviously a Federal plan has more ares of influence, to exercise in that area. You can explore the new Law, and find some specific areas described in more detail. There are also areas that are now directed by law, to be cleaned up of waste, Medicare Advantage is one of them. The specifics of what will be done in that area are, as yet, undefined. They will be, and the Ins Cos will adjust to those changes.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:21 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Excuse me if I don't accept your interpretation of the Constitution. I think their are others, actually qualified, to render opinion on that.
I am qualified.

The bill allows an exemption for some religious groups, but not others. That is clearly in violation of the first amendment, and legal challenges that have been filed will result in that clause being stricken from the bill.

That will force Congress to pass an amendment to the bill to allow all religious groups an exemption, in order to avoid further embarassment.

With respect to individuals, without regard to religion, you cannot be compelled to purchase insurance of any kind.

You say you have to buy homeowner's insurance? That's the bank, not the government. Owning a home is not a requirement, but if you want a home and don't want to purchase homeowner's insurance, um, you can pay cash or seek alternative financing.

You say you have to buy automobile insurance? No you don't. You can purchase a bond in lieu of insurance, because this has already been argued (and lost) in court, which is why bonds are available. In the extreme, if you still don't want to purchase a bond, you don't have to drive, as that is a privilege and not a right.

I notice this thread is totally lacking in any meaningful discussion of the provisions of the bill. Here's a decent article that discusses it:

The Bottom Line on Health Care

Some quotes:

Quote:
When the rhetorical fog lifts, we will see the system has not changed much. Health care will still be dominated by profit-driven insurance companies. More public money will go to executive salaries and private industry profits. Tens of millions of people will remain uninsured and costs will continue to increase. The challenge for the future is how to get public dollars to go to the nation’s public health and not to corporations that serve as middlemen that do not provide health care.
The article goes on to explain that for every "benefit" the new regulations bring, there is a "poison pill" that is tagged with it:

Quote:
What did we get? There were some attempts to fix insurance abuse, but every fix had a poison pill added by the insurance industry. A good example is insurance no longer being able to deny care for pre-existing illness. The poison pill, which may actually make things worse for more people, is the industry can charge people who do not meet their wellness guidelines double what they charge others. And, if you are older, they can charge triple. So, while you cannot be denied insurance, will you be able to afford it?

Perhaps some of you might want to study the bill before dancing your victory ***.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I am qualified.

The bill allows an exemption for some religious groups, but not others. That is clearly in violation of the first amendment, and legal challenges that have been filed will result in that clause being stricken from the bill.

That will force Congress to pass an amendment to the bill to allow all religious groups an exemption, in order to avoid further embarassment.

With respect to individuals, without regard to religion, you cannot be compelled to purchase insurance of any kind.

You say you have to buy homeowner's insurance? That's the bank, not the government. Owning a home is not a requirement, but if you want a home and don't want to purchase homeowner's insurance, um, you can pay cash or seek alternative financing.

You say you have to buy automobile insurance? No you don't. You can purchase a bond in lieu of insurance, because this has already been argued (and lost) in court, which is why bonds are available. In the extreme, if you still don't want to purchase a bond, you don't have to drive, as that is a privilege and not a right.

I notice this thread is totally lacking in any meaningful discussion of the provisions of the bill. Here's a decent article that discusses it:

The Bottom Line on Health Care

Some quotes:

The article goes on to explain that for every "benefit" the new regulations bring, there is a "poison pill" that is tagged with it:

Perhaps some of you might want to study the bill before dancing your victory ***.
Excuse me if I pass on a Paleoconservative view of reality, I prefer to research and evaluate on my own. It is a, seemly, lost art these days.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

918 posts, read 816,610 times
Default Who are you tryin' to kid bob

...as you continue beating a dead horse called ObaCare? You got what you wanted and time will tell how badly we get screwed by it.

Ironically our collective fate will not be determined by anything to really do with ObaCare, it's efficacy or lack thereof or its constitutionality or lack thereof. The fate of this law will be determined on the First Tuesday in this coming November. For..., IF and it's admittedly a big IF, the demonRATs lose control of BOTH houses of congress and not necessariy by a 2/3rds majority either, we will be talking about a completely different subject. It will be The Impeachment of Barack Hussein Obama. I seek not to engage in debate on this topic over that, but it is a reality. ObaCare will only be reversed by a clean sweeping out of demonRATs in 2012, because the Republicans will not have the guts to take away something that mostly benefits the poor and heaps abuse on the rich and woring class. I can hear the chants of racists in the background din already. It's the demonRATs magic elixir to rally the downtrodden and make just enough noise to scare feckless politicos.

Ironically, that fate of ObaCare will be decided on nothing to really do with healthcare. It will be the old catch phrase... "IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID!". Should the US economy go south and by that I do NOT mean the day-to-day market value or Dow Jones averages, which are very misleading. I mean the prime interest rate there will be no money to fund ObaCare. Americans will be economically hanging on for dear life.

Our failure to show the world that we have enough self-discipline to freeze spending across the boards, a moratorium if you will at the federal level, will cause our international credit rating, something noone talks about, will drop to double A as the economic chickens come home to roost. That will resound, not only here, but around the world, as a mythical blow from the hammer of mighty Thor and shatter us into 'hard times' reality. The immediate reaction will be a rise in interest rates with no top end in sight. If you think the Carter years were bad, you ain't seen nuthin' yet...like the fella said. It's basic economics and one doesn't need to be degreed to GET IT!

The time to pay the fiddler for our dance of irresponsibiity is coming.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
...as you continue beating a dead horse called ObaCare? You got what you wanted and time will tell how badly we get screwed by it.
It's the Law, deal with it.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM

918 posts, read 816,610 times
Default florida.bob

As you will have to also. I shall "deal with it" as you say..., as little as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies