Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM

7,910 posts, read 9,115,157 times

Advertisements

You know, after this honeymoon period is over, I'm really looking forward to seeing the networks reinterview the people they covered during the march towards passing the bill. It will be interesting to see the looks on their faces when they are told they have to wait 4 years to get insurance.

I'd really like to see the reaction of the people that Obama used as props on stage during this reform campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 AM

268 posts, read 453,161 times
I'm curious to know how many people walked into a hospital or clinic this morning thinking they were going to get fixed up.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 AM

88,791 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
I'm curious to know how many people walked into a hospital or clinic this morning thinking they were going to get fixed up.
Now, spread that out all the way up to the November mid-term elections... There's going to be a lot of disillusioned folks out there.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:26 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,231,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
You know, after this honeymoon period is over, I'm really looking forward to seeing the networks reinterview the people they covered during the march towards passing the bill. It will be interesting to see the looks on their faces when they are told they have to wait 4 years to get insurance.

I'd really like to see the reaction of the people that Obama used as props on stage during this reform campaign.

What will actually be something worth looking forward to is seeing the same reruns of the republican lying nutjobs that spread all the crap about "government run healthcare", "death panels", "soaring healthcare costs".. panic panic panic!! As soon as people get used to the idea (and proposals start surfacing on how to amend the bill so it works more on reducing costs etc - which will happen) the quicker the republicans will be seen as the party who tried to prevent healthcare coverage to millions for the sake of playing politics.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM

124 posts, read 368,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
What will actually be something worth looking forward to is seeing the same reruns of the republican lying nutjobs that spread all the crap about "government run healthcare", "death panels", "soaring healthcare costs".. panic panic panic!! As soon as people get used to the idea (and proposals start surfacing on how to amend the bill so it works more on reducing costs etc - which will happen) the quicker the republicans will be seen as the party who tried to prevent healthcare coverage to millions for the sake of playing politics.
What will actually be something worth looking forward to will be when all the Dems who voted for the bill who are up for re-election this fall get voted out of office The American people have spoken and did not want this 2000+ page bill for Universal Nightmare passed. This is probably the reason the Attorneys General of at least 12 states are suing the federal government. (Obama Signs Health Care Bill Into Law as Republicans Challenge Constitutionality - ABC News) Moreover, Pelosi has an approval rating of 11% and Reid's approval rating is 8% (Poll: Low Favorability Ratings For Pelosi, Reid - Political Hotsheet - CBS News). To be sure, these crooks will be voted out of office.

Don't even post on here pretending to know what the American people want, you idiotic Brit. If Americans want socialized health care, they'll move to Britain

Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,823,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
True. To pay for it, most individuals and families will now be forced to pay 12-19% of their annual incomes (CBO estimate) for for-profit health insurance that requires 30% co-pays for medical care and services.
It may be true, probably is, that people with incomes higher than 88k with individual plans will pay larger premiums, 10-13%. Those under 88k will pay less, depending on subsidy. I assume, you do not think that most individuals make 88k or more. I believe median income was about 52k a couple of years ago, probably less now.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM

268 posts, read 453,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
What makes you think the cost can be reduced? When in history has the government reduced the cost of anything? Oh yeah, never. That's why SS is bankrupt, medicare/medicaid is in the toilet... 12 trillion dollars of debt, not to mention the almost 2 trillion dollar deficit.

It's sad to see people still believe the government is capable with accounting skills.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,981,402 times
LOL-

TheObamanator wrote:

Next, we take on "The Cereal Companies".

Cereal is way overpriced.

It needs Government Intervention!

I want "Cereal Reform"...I need a new Gov't Agency to monitor and drive down the costs of cereal for me and my family!

Everyone, now should be FORCED to buy cereal!

It's in the Constitution. My inalienable rights!

Cereal, I need it to "Pursue Life, Liberty & The Pursuit of Happiness"

Ted Kennedy wanted me to have it, in his last words!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM

88,791 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It may be true, probably is, that people with incomes higher than 88k with individual plans will pay larger premiums, 10-13%. Those under 88k will pay less, depending on subsidy.
Wow. No.

Look at the last column on the charts on page 29 where it says percent of income:
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/107xx/doc...0-Premiums.pdf

Even WITH the "subsidy"...
Individuals with an income as low as $20,600 will pay 12% of their annual income.
Families of 4 with an income as low as $42,000 will pay 13% of their annual income.

...That's for average medical services on the 30% co-pay Silver Plan. Those in need of a higher level of, or more, medical services will pay even more.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
And they should be forced to have healthcare. So that those who buy insurance or pay their bills don't have to pay for them like they do now. You must not be aware that you are paying for those who are unable or unwilling to get medical insurance in form of higher medical bills and higher insurance premiums. Where do you think the hospital losses go? Who do you think pays for those who get expensive surgeries and treatments in the emergency rooms and who are uninsured and unable to pay? Do you really believe that all these people just lie down and die willingly when something happens to them? No, they go the emergency room and get treated for free at the expense of the patients that pay.

Those who can afford to have insurance should be forced to pay for it and not be a burden for the society. Those who cannot afford insurance should get help. There are people who refuse to buy basic insurance coverage because they don't want to pay extra 100-200 a month even though they can afford it and would rather spend it on other non-essential things they want. There are just lots of people out there (which is also obvious from these boards) who simply don't consider medical care a necessity. There are plans for healthy adults that are less than 200/month (and I am talking about expensive PPO plans, but there should be much cheaper ones) with unlimited doctor visits and people who can afford them should be forced to buy them, so that one day when they get into an accident or get pregnant or get sick and are not aware of it and would require expensive surgeries and treatments they wouldn't be stuck with the enormous bills they definitely cannot afford. So, that they wouldn't be able to walk away from their debt and have hospitals take losses and increase the prices for those who diligently pay.

If you make insurance mandatory you will see how quickly people will realize that they actually can afford it, because they spend money on non-essential items. Taxes are mandatory and each and everyone of us can say we can't afford to pay taxes, but we must, so we pay. Paying a portion of your income towards your medical care should be the same thing - mandatory like taxes. Because there is one thing certain - you will get older and most likely at some point get sick to the extent when you need medical care or if you are young you may get an infectious disease or get pregnant or get into an accident.
You get we live in a free country, don't you? Who is anyone but myself to decide that I MUST buy something that YOU think I should have. And who decides what is non-essential. Gotta love the Libs - absolutely shure they know how everyone else should live their lives.

No mention of illegals in your rant. You do know that criminals that have come into this country illegally get free healthcare, as you've described above? Should I pay for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies