Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM

88,674 posts, read 44,444,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

“Obamacare’s worst tax hike is the imposition of a new 3.9 percent Medicare payroll tax on capital gains and other investments,” adds the economist Larry Kudlow at National Review Online. “What will this do? It will depress the economy, depress wages, and depress jobs. Washington doesn’t understand that you can’t create jobs without new healthy businesses.” (nytimes)
Go Obama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,993,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
health care is not a right much to your disbelief
You actually believe that?

What about the Veterans Administration and the Armed Services?

European countries, Canada, Australia, & Japan have socialized health insurance, not socialized medicine. The government pays for care that is delivered in the private sector. This is exactly how Medicare works here. Doctors are in private practice and are paid on a fee-for-service basis from government funds. The government does not own or manage medical practices or hospitals.

National health care provides doctors and patients with more clinical freedom than in U.S., where Insurance companies attempt to direct and restrict care simply
by Profit motivation.

How do you like this:

John D. Ehrlichman: “On the … on the health business …”

President Nixon: “Yeah.”

Ehrlichman: “… we have now narrowed down the vice president’s problems on this thing to one issue and that is whether we should include these health maintenance organizations like Edgar Kaiser’s Permanente thing. The vice president just cannot see it. We tried 15 ways from Friday to explain it to him and then help him to understand it. He finally says, ‘Well, I don’t think they’ll work, but if the President thinks it’s a good idea, I’ll support him a hundred percent.’”

President Nixon: “Well, what’s … what’s the judgment?”

Ehrlichman: “Well, everybody else’s judgment very strongly is that we go with it.”

President Nixon: “All right.”

Ehrlichman: “And, uh, uh, he’s the one holdout that we have in the whole office.”

President Nixon: “Say that I … I … I’d tell him I have doubts about it, but I think that it’s, uh, now let me ask you, now you give me your judgment. You know I’m not to keen on any of these damn medical programs.”

Ehrlichman: “This, uh, let me, let me tell you how I am …”

Ehrlichman: “This … this is a …”

President Nixon: “I don’t …”

Ehrlichman: “… private enterprise one.”

President Nixon: “Well, that appeals to me.”

Ehrlichman: “Edgar Kaiser is running his Permanente deal for profit. And the reason that he can … the reason he can do it … I had Edgar Kaiser come in … talk to me about this and I went into it in some depth. All the incentives are toward less medical care, because …”

Ehrlichman: “… the less care they give them, the more money they make.”

President Nixon: “Fine.”

Ehrlichman: “… and the incentives run the right way.”

President Nixon: “Not bad.”

Thank you President Nixon & Congress for the passage of The HMO Act of 1973

Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
We will now have the quality of care you get in Europe (endless waits for medical care, low quality care), along with the ridiculous prices you point to as the problem. You cannot combine a for-profit health care system with the European model of care: they accomplish it using the single-payer system. What this bill does is take the overly expensive for-profit health care system, with countless middlemen and bureaucrats, and telling it to charge whatever it wants, and send the bill to the taxpayers.

There is nothing in the proposal to slow the rising cost of health care. Just hundreds of billions in taxes transferred to the insurance industry, with the federal government gaining even more size and power in the process. Studies show that premiums will continue to rise, tort liability and malpractice premiums will continue to suck money away from the provision of care. All of the problems we have now will continue, except we have now imposed hundreds of billions of new taxes (that rack up for 4 years before a single dollar is spent on benefits) on an economy already crippled and near collapse.
That's not my experience; nor is it the experience of my German friends who use their system.

Got anything but your opinion?

The second paragraph was already addressed by songgirl.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:46 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,941,472 times
Quote:
The proposed changes increase spending dramatically, most heavily concentrated in the out-years. The gross cost of the bill has risen from $875 billion to $940 billion over ten years–but almost $40 billion of that comes in 2019. The net cost has increased even more dramatically, from $624 billion to $794 billion. That’s because the excise tax has been so badly weakened. This is of dual concern: it’s a financing risk, but it also means that the one provision which had a genuine shot at “bending the cost curve” in the broader health care market has at this point, basically been gutted. Moreover, it’s hard not to believe that the reason it has been moved to 2018 is that no one really thinks it’s ever going to take effect. It’s one thing to have a period of adjustment. But a tax that takes effect in eight years is a tax so unpopular that it has little realistic chance of being allowed to stand.

And, she asks, WHEN YOU BORROW FROM YOURSELF, HAVE YOU REALLY SAVED MONEY? “A disturbingly high percentage of the revenues still come from insurance premiums for other programs. About $53 billion of the net deficit reduction is from Social Security taxes collected on the wages people will now be getting in lieu of health care benefits. But since those contributions raise the amount Social Security will eventually have to pay out, the Republicans convincingly argue that this is not true ‘deficit reduction’; it’s just deficit shifting. Ditto the premiums for the new long-term care insurance.”

“Obamacare’s worst tax hike is the imposition of a new 3.9 percent Medicare payroll tax on capital gains and other investments,” adds the economist Larry Kudlow at National Review Online. “What will this do? It will depress the economy, depress wages, and depress jobs. Washington doesn’t understand that you can’t create jobs without new healthy businesses.” (nytimes)

i suggest that washington DOES understand and could care less about jobs and / or the long-term future. it is all about funding the beast.
I'm not sure of your sources , But I will stick with the CBO's score, which paints a very different picture. Coverage for millions more people, more security of actually keeping your coverage when you get sick and a reduction in cost and deficit.
Business News from TheStreet.com

Old 03-20-2010, 12:49 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,208,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You actually believe that?

What about the Veterans Administration and the Armed Services?

European countries, Canada, Australia, & Japan have socialized health insurance, not socialized medicine. The government pays for care that is delivered in the private sector. This is exactly how Medicare works here. Doctors are in private practice and are paid on a fee-for-service basis from government funds. The government does not own or manage medical practices or hospitals.

National health care provides doctors and patients with more clinical freedom than in U.S., where Insurance companies attempt to direct and restrict care simply
by Profit motivation.

How do you like this:
Spoiler

John D. Ehrlichman: “On the … on the health business …”

President Nixon: “Yeah.”

Ehrlichman: “… we have now narrowed down the vice president’s problems on this thing to one issue and that is whether we should include these health maintenance organizations like Edgar Kaiser’s Permanente thing. The vice president just cannot see it. We tried 15 ways from Friday to explain it to him and then help him to understand it. He finally says, ‘Well, I don’t think they’ll work, but if the President thinks it’s a good idea, I’ll support him a hundred percent.’”

President Nixon: “Well, what’s … what’s the judgment?”

Ehrlichman: “Well, everybody else’s judgment very strongly is that we go with it.”

President Nixon: “All right.”

Ehrlichman: “And, uh, uh, he’s the one holdout that we have in the whole office.”

President Nixon: “Say that I … I … I’d tell him I have doubts about it, but I think that it’s, uh, now let me ask you, now you give me your judgment. You know I’m not to keen on any of these damn medical programs.”

Ehrlichman: “This, uh, let me, let me tell you how I am …”

Ehrlichman: “This … this is a …”

President Nixon: “I don’t …”

Ehrlichman: “… private enterprise one.”

President Nixon: “Well, that appeals to me.”

Ehrlichman: “Edgar Kaiser is running his Permanente deal for profit. And the reason that he can … the reason he can do it … I had Edgar Kaiser come in … talk to me about this and I went into it in some depth. All the incentives are toward less medical care, because …”

Ehrlichman: “… the less care they give them, the more money they make.”

President Nixon: “Fine.”

Ehrlichman: “… and the incentives run the right way.”

President Nixon: “Not bad.”
Thank you President Nixon & Congress for the passage of The HMO Act of 1973
The VA and armed service facilities are privileges EARNED thru service.

European countries, Canada, Australia and Japan have no privileges in the U.S. They are not citizens of the U.S. That they have social services is a contractual agreement with their governments and should have no bearing on the relationship between a U.S. citizen and his government.

The rest of the world doesn't set standards by which the U.S. succeeds. It's more like the U.S. sets standards to save their asses when they fail.

Nixon resigned and took his goons with him. Get over it. Apparently, Congress is still at it.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,918,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Fail.
Of course it's been proven, time and again.
You just don't want to accept the truth.
Yes, proven just like you did now.

Sorry, proven does not simply mean making the claim.

Though I am sure you will prove me wrong simply by claiming so. /boggle

Old 03-20-2010, 01:09 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,404,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Where are all the 5 million new jobs that were promised before the election? The government has not, in spite of many billions of tax dollars thrown at a stimulus, found a way to create even a portion of the promised jobs.
Obama's investment would be over 10 years as part of two programs. The larger is $150 billion to create 5 million so-called "green collar" jobs to develop more environmentally friendly energy sources.

Ten Year Plan...

Can you count to 10? Also note the program was envisioned in February 2008, before the Great Bush Recession hit for real and altered everybody's plans and priorities. Maybe you'd like to be a little realistic for a change...

Old 03-20-2010, 02:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,404,183 times
Quote:
The proposed changes increase spending dramatically, most heavily concentrated in the out-years. The gross cost of the bill has risen from $875 billion to $940 billion over ten years–but almost $40 billion of that comes in 2019. The net cost has increased even more dramatically, from $624 billion to $794 billion. That’s because the excise tax has been so badly weakened. This is of dual concern: it’s a financing risk, but it also means that the one provision which had a genuine shot at “bending the cost curve” in the broader health care market has at this point, basically been gutted. Moreover, it’s hard not to believe that the reason it has been moved to 2018 is that no one really thinks it’s ever going to take effect. It’s one thing to have a period of adjustment. But a tax that takes effect in eight years is a tax so unpopular that it has little realistic chance of being allowed to stand.

And, she asks, WHEN YOU BORROW FROM YOURSELF, HAVE YOU REALLY SAVED MONEY? “A disturbingly high percentage of the revenues still come from insurance premiums for other programs. About $53 billion of the net deficit reduction is from Social Security taxes collected on the wages people will now be getting in lieu of health care benefits. But since those contributions raise the amount Social Security will eventually have to pay out, the Republicans convincingly argue that this is not true ‘deficit reduction’; it’s just deficit shifting. Ditto the premiums for the new long-term care insurance.”

i suggest that washington DOES understand and could care less about jobs and / or the long-term future. it is all about funding the beast.
Just to note that when you say (ny times), what you mean to say is that everything prior to that is copyrighted NYT blog text that you copied and pasted.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 PM

533 posts, read 317,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Just to note that when you say (ny times), what you mean to say is that everything prior to that is copyrighted NYT blog text that you copied and pasted.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 PM

199 posts, read 403,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
I never feared about my future until Barrack unglued our country.
Our children will pay in taxes big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are talking inflation and doublingh the tax rate of now.
Spending is a short term gamble Barrack.
I agree with the title of this thread 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies