Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Yikes.

Race as a lived notion is enormously detached from "race" as a genetic concept, and the racial categories we use in contemporary society have little to do with genetics. If you read up on the subject you can see the trajectory of the debates from the early 20th century (Agassiz and his ilk) to now leading further and further away from the base modes of classification used when racial science first began.

This is a derail now, but if you are completely foreign to the notion of race as a social construct, I suggest just looking it up. The best book on the topic I've read is Racial Formation in the United States by Michael Omi and Howard Winant.
The fact remains that you are born as a certain race and you can't change that. The definition of racism is that you believe people who are born a certain race are inferior. There, I didn't use the word genetic.

Moreover, it really doesn't matter, because the definition of racism only references the state of mind of the racist, who probably didn't read your book. You're taking my argument and using one single word to try and pick it apart, but my fundamental point remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
This doesn't contradict what I'm saying. I'm trying to jettison genetics from the conversation because it is totally off-base. I think your reading is more or less accurate, but typically I find that racial stereotypes are divorced from historical context and reality. They orbit around the nebulous concepts of race and culture.
I agree but I imagine most people would consider what was presented in the video as more ignorance than racism. Most people are products of media and the black man robber is a common theme, in fiction and the news.

I don't know many people who would not talk with, befriend, even date blacks yet they still may be frightened of the stereotypical "criminal" looking minority.

I grew up in a predominately Hispanic area where gangs were prevalent, as a youth I had gangs shootings on my street. When a low rider, "gang looking" Hispanic drives by me I get uneasy, is this racism? I would say no.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

YouTube - ‪Racism in the Elevator **Official Video**‬‏

Don't click it if you can handle the F word. It's pretty funny, though. Because it's true.
Long time ago, someone said to me, "You're standing at an ATM machine, and two black youths come up and stand behind you. How do you feel?"

Now, same scenario, 'cept it's 2 white dudes.

Now switch for two Asian guys.

And two Latinos.

Did you feel any different for any one of those scenarios? Yes? Congratz. You're a racist. You based your probabilty of getting mugged or accosted simply upon someone's race.
I didn't find it funny or true...I think the woman would have clutched her purse no matter what color the man was that entered the elevator....on the other hand I found the man to be very rascist, and downright rude...what a pompous ass HE is.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrycrat View Post
One of the reasons that white women should carry guns...
But not other women?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It sure does. A drama queen complaining without any actual proof of any racism.
This proves my point so well.
Quote:
Yes, because all of the statistics are just made up, right?
Statistics are not immune to bias, including racial bias. There may be more black criminals, but many of them are being caught by racist cops.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:50 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
How is race not genetic? It is passed on from parent to child. It is in our genes.
If you go back far enough, we're all racially and genetically totally mixed. The differences between a white and black person are genetically negligible.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Lol!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM

111 posts, read 97,668 times
What a stupid video, not even funny.

Last edited by Taras; 06-12-2011 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I didn't find it funny or true...I think the woman would have clutched her purse no matter what color the man was that entered the elevator....on the other hand I found the man to be very rascist, and downright rude...what a pompous ass HE is.
He's just crudely verbalizing what many black men who are often met with this behavior feel deep down. Being labeled a potential criminal threat by other people's body language due to your skin color is demeaning and annoying, especially if it occurs frequently enough for you to take notice. Similar to the way many women feel when they are condescended to and constantly made the object of sexual forwardness and impropriety by men around them.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
If you go back far enough, we're all racially and genetically totally mixed. The differences between a white and black person are genetically negligible.
So what??? The fact is, we are born with a skin color. Does this fact change my original point one single bit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies