Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
a guy that is a college graduate is just as likely to wear his pants low as a full blown thug.
unfricking believable! how can you say this? hello! pants low and undies and rump 90 percent visible equals = complete idiot! one who is rightfully shunned by corporate america!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

YouTube - ‪Racism in the Elevator **Official Video**‬‏

Don't click it if you can handle the F word. It's pretty funny, though. Because it's true.
Long time ago, someone said to me, "You're standing at an ATM machine, and two black youths come up and stand behind you. How do you feel?"

Now, same scenario, 'cept it's 2 white dudes.

Now switch for two Asian guys.

And two Latinos.

Did you feel any different for any one of those scenarios? Yes? Congratz. You're a racist. You based your probabilty of getting mugged or accosted simply upon someone's race.
Nah.

You based your probability based on experience.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:

Did you feel any different for any one of those scenarios?

No. Not if they were all dressed the same and acted in the same non aggressive manner.

Most people react to appearance and behavior, not race.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Funny video, I also watched the related ones from the same series
But really, he is short, slender, dressed like a businessman, why would anyone be scared of him?
I have seen my fair share of white skinheads and believe me I never felt safe when they were around me. There are so many groups of people in whose presence I automatically switch to alert mode. Rockers, any drunk people, people speaking in a loud or vulgar way, people dressed in fan gear, all-male groups of people, soldiers and policemen, etc.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Most people react to appearance and behavior, not race.
+1. post rated positively. i react to vibe, behavior, verbal diction/cadence, appearance. in that order.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:

YouTube - ‪Racism in the Elevator **Official Video**‬‏

Don't click it if you can handle the F word. It's pretty funny, though. Because it's true.
Long time ago, someone said to me, "You're standing at an ATM machine, and two black youths come up and stand behind you. How do you feel?"

Now, same scenario, 'cept it's 2 white dudes.

Now switch for two Asian guys.

And two Latinos.

Did you feel any different for any one of those scenarios? Yes? Congratz. You're a racist. You based your probabilty of getting mugged or accosted simply upon someone's race.
The thing about this is look how he is dressed. He presents as a regular law abidding citizen. No fear but I know some kids around my way that will hurt people if they can. They dont dress anything like that. They dress like gangbangers. I dont want some innocent white person to get hurt because some thug used racism as a way to lure someone asleep and attack them. Sorry if you present yourself correctly you will not get this treatment. Some are going to be afraid no matter what but most people will judge the situation and not the race.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
This is also cool

YouTube - ‪The Blind Date‬‏

Old 06-10-2011, 03:37 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
So from now on when a guy like the one in the video gets on an elevator with me - should I plug my ears b/c I don't want to listen to him cuss me out and insult me under his breath, then finish it off by screaming "BOO!" in my face?

Not sure I buy the message as presented in the video clip. Are there any objective examples out there? something like that show "What Would You Do?".

Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
This is also cool
[video]
ha ha that woman is stupid because she could've broken the ice with a positive e.g. oh you're cute or something. some singles have no game funny production though

Old 06-10-2011, 04:36 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
Actually - I think that video represents reverse racism. Everyone still ASSUMES how 'white' people react to different scenarios. Currently living on a street where I, being a white woman am the minority - I am offended at the video that people still look at white women as being afraid of black men...just because? The guy is dressed professionally, they are obviously not in a beaten run down elevator in a neighborhood on the 'other' side of town. The video is just stupid. Come to the DC area...ummm....yeah - everyone's in the elevator with everybody.

Maybe there should be a video of a black man getting pulled over by a white police officer and you can take it from there. If the guy thinks he's going to get his butt beat by a white cop - would that be racism too? According the message in this video - most definitely.

I'm not saying racism doesn't happen because it does with every group. But it is stuff like this that keeps it going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies