Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:11 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times

Advertisements

We're just waiting to see what happens. If my employer decides it's cheaper to pay the fine rather than cover everyone, we'll have to buy insurance. Our special needs daughter for the first time in her life will have to go on government care because no insurance company will take her. If they are required to insure her, it will be so grossly expensive, we will not be able to afford it from everything I have found about what will occur.

I, through error, had an experience with government run care. I had to find a new dentist for our daughter when her regular dentist retired. The dentist I called mistakenly believed, because she is impaired, that she was a Medicaid recipient, and I didn't know he thought that. He referred me to a Medicaid dentist. I tried to reach the dentist for three weeks. I got his voice mail, never received a return call, or got a message that his voice mail box was full. The last straw for me in dealing with this dentist was that the appointment was three months out and the staff treated me like I was a gnat.

I finally checked around and learned he was a dentist who took only Medicaid patients, so I found another who treated special needs children. He doesn't take insurance, but I can get reimbursed partially, and am very pleased. His staff is professional and competent. We felt very sorry and were shocked for people who had no choice but to be subject to this kind of treatment, and we started giving money to a local fund which treated low income people in our community.

I understand the public option is not in this bill. If it ever comes around, I would hope government run healthcare would be better than my experience above, and wouldn't kill the entrepreneurial spirit and pride in business ownership. I understand this dentist may have been the exception, but I am really concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
I dropped a lot of anxiety about my daughter and grandchildren's prospects for access to Health Care services.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
My anxiety increased about my grandchildren's finances...and that for all future generations.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I dropped a lot of anxiety about my daughter and grandchildren's prospects for access to Health Care services.
Good. I am glad they will be able to buy it or pay the fines.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:25 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
In anticpation of the cuts to Medicare and Medicaid (specifically to homecare which comprises 5% of the spending but was to get 30% of the cuts), I left one home care agency that worked with adults and replaced it with a school contract that is paid by the district.

Hopefully this will help keep me working enough to provide for my family.

Last edited by NSHL10; 03-20-2010 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
I bought myself a butt plug, and a casket

Old 03-20-2010, 03:04 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Interesting article.

is-socialized-medicine-bad-for-your-wealth: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/article/109122/is-socialized-medicine-bad-for-your-wealth;_ylt=AuINY9HsBKjLrFsAHrm99MxO7sMF;_ylu=X3oD MTE5dTUxdHExBHBvcwMyBHNlYwN3ZWVrZW5kRWRpdGlvbgRzbG sDdW5jbGVzYW1zbWVk?.html?mod=family-love_money - broken link)

Old 03-20-2010, 03:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,757 times
I always get my daughters their well-child checkups, but last month, I scheduled my husband and I to get an annual wellness exam, complete with a health physical, blood draw, urine sample, endurance test, EKG, etc. Basically the whole thing...and I walked out with a 3-ring binder full of printouts on how my health is, what I need to work on, etc. I spoke with my doctor and was told that she is very worried about what this means for patient care and that the reason they don't Medicare/Medicaid patients is that the government pays significantly less than other insurers. She was the one who suggested we do the physical (which lasted nearly 2 hours) in order to get a good baseline for any future care we may need.

And, kind of related to health care, but more in reaction to the recklessness that the government has been showing...we have taken most of our retirement funds out of the stock market and moved them to high-interest savings accounts and CDs, we've paid off all of our credit cards and now only have a mortgage (which is for a house that costs significantly less than the bank told us we could afford) and 1 car payment, and we have socked tons of money away into savings. We've also taken $500 out of the bank and stashed it in our house just in case credit gets frozen and we need to buy food (we always pay with our debit cards). My next door neighbor's family is from Iceland and the stories we've been hearing about what happened when Iceland's government basically went "broke" were alarming. People were literally caught without any way to access their money. I hope that will never happen here, but if it does, I need to sleep at night knowing that we could buy necessities with cash if necessary.

Other than that, I just plan on paying much more attention to what my elected officials are doing than I have in the past, and while I have voted in every election since I turned 18, I will be rethinking the way I voted during the last election. I'm a registered Independent who was part of the Independent "wave" who swept the Dems into power. It will be a long time until I get sucked in by pretty words and campaign promises that aren't worth the paper they're written on. Both parties are absolutely disappointing and I am waiting for someone, ANYONE, to stand up and vow to conduct themselves according to the will of the people...to respect the Constitution and the procedures in place to pass a law. And, finally, for the love of God, stop doing things that they know are wrong but use the other parties past behavior as the reason that they are entitled to behave the same way. I'm trying to raise my kids with the "just because she did it doesn't mean you should do it" theory and then there's the government (now it's the Dems but it will be the Reps soon after) saying that they can circumvent the sytem because the opposing party did it before. It's the grade school equivalent of "he hit me first". I would just like for someone to stop the nonsense.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:11 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I wonder how many of the complainers had a problem with spending a trillion dollars on the Iraq War.
Good grief. My guess is that you are still in college.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I always get my daughters their well-child checkups, but last month, I scheduled my husband and I to get an annual wellness exam, complete with a health physical, blood draw, urine sample, endurance test, EKG, etc. Basically the whole thing...and I walked out with a 3-ring binder full of printouts on how my health is, what I need to work on, etc. I spoke with my doctor and was told that she is very worried about what this means for patient care and that the reason they don't Medicare/Medicaid patients is that the government pays significantly less than other insurers. She was the one who suggested we do the physical (which lasted nearly 2 hours) in order to get a good baseline for any future care we may need.

And, kind of related to health care, but more in reaction to the recklessness that the government has been showing...we have taken most of our retirement funds out of the stock market and moved them to high-interest savings accounts and CDs, we've paid off all of our credit cards and now only have a mortgage (which is for a house that costs significantly less than the bank told us we could afford) and 1 car payment, and we have socked tons of money away into savings. We've also taken $500 out of the bank and stashed it in our house just in case credit gets frozen and we need to buy food (we always pay with our debit cards). My next door neighbor's family is from Iceland and the stories we've been hearing about what happened when Iceland's government basically went "broke" were alarming. People were literally caught without any way to access their money. I hope that will never happen here, but if it does, I need to sleep at night knowing that we could buy necessities with cash if necessary.

Other than that, I just plan on paying much more attention to what my elected officials are doing than I have in the past, and while I have voted in every election since I turned 18, I will be rethinking the way I voted during the last election. I'm a registered Independent who was part of the Independent "wave" who swept the Dems into power. It will be a long time until I get sucked in by pretty words and campaign promises that aren't worth the paper they're written on. Both parties are absolutely disappointing and I am waiting for someone, ANYONE, to stand up and vow to conduct themselves according to the will of the people...to respect the Constitution and the procedures in place to pass a law. And, finally, for the love of God, stop doing things that they know are wrong but use the other parties past behavior as the reason that they are entitled to behave the same way. I'm trying to raise my kids with the "just because she did it doesn't mean you should do it" theory and then there's the government (now it's the Dems but it will be the Reps soon after) saying that they can circumvent the sytem because the opposing party did it before. It's the grade school equivalent of "he hit me first". I would just like for someone to stop the nonsense.
Great post!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies