Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then why bother having kids?
Great, another helicopter parent.
Your kid has seen murders on TV over 100 times by the time they're 6; they see violence every day on TV; violent sex against women, etc.
They know about war.

And you're worried about a t-shirt.
No, not a helicopter parent, maybe they want their kids to have some values and learn some respect for other people. Honestly, your posts don't make a lot of sense!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I saw a girl with a shirt that said "jesus is a C*nt"...

is it rude? yep
is it just a stupid shirt worn by a even more stupid little kid? YEP

build a bridge and get over it people..

I agree with you that it was rude, etc. She has the right to wear the shirt, but she should have exercised better judgment as to where appropriate places are. Again, she was someone looking for attention and to get a rise out of people.

Again it falls under the Grandma rule: Would you want that shirt worn in front of your grandmother, mother, or daughter?

A long time ago I was taught that strong words = weak minds. If this young woman (or the man who was F shirt guy) wants to make a political, social, or general statement, wouldn't they be more credible doing so at a podium, or lending support of a cause, as opposed to being gullible consumers who are merely enriching some T-shirt vendor who is capitalizing on their lack of ability to speak for themselves?

Old 03-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Offensive? Many Americans are just too sensitive. What happened to the sexual revolution?
Vulgar T shirts in a convention center where there are children present?
How does the sexual revolution come into play here?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Keep that up and you're going to get yourself killed. Half these kids carry weapons of some sort...you're lucky that you didn't get killed or maimed...all over a stupid t-shirt.
These idiots are the reason I also carry a gun.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Maybe ..

But given the history of teenage rebellion, I'm not so sure that this would be the case.

It's just the nature of the beast .. teens will run amok regardless of upbringing .. Even teens that are raised well will go through this sort of thing.

Kids demand respect. And because of their gross inexperience in matters regarding respect, they aren't quite sure how to go about getting it .. so they wear stupid t-shirts and do stupid things ..

Most kids, one day, wake up to the fact that respect can't be had at all until they respect themselves and others first .. it's called "growing up".

Once a kid gets it through their head that there are no short cuts to gaining respect from others .. you'll see the stupid t-shirts going away and the young person wondering why they even had the nads to put it on in the first place.

As an aside .. parents really don't raise kids these days anyway .. the schools do. I'll even venture to guess that if a parent were caught raising their kids the "right or proper" way, these days, outside of any federal mandate as it might relate to public instruction, we would be seeing that parent going to jail.
You are correct, respect is earned. If you act like a complete azzhole, like the kid wearing the t shirt, you will get no respect from me or a lot of other people.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You stated:

Look up lewdness.

Where do you think I got the definition I posted

I looked it up and copied & pasted it here.

Maybe you should look up lewdness!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
When I was a kid, children were seen and not heard, and the environment was not sanitized to protect children from seeing or hearing things. In 2010 we have gone completely in the other direction where people expect the entire world to act in a way they deem appropriate for their children's exposure. There is common sense involved here, and surprisingly few parents use it. In an ideal world our young children would not be exposed to bad language or sexual or violent images, but in the real world they are, and it's our job to educate them, and guide them, and not expect the world to change to meet our expectations. People have the right to wear whatever they want, wherever they want, and sadly they also have the right to poor judgement, and bad taste.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then why bother having kids?
Great, another helicopter parent.
Your kid has seen murders on TV over 100 times by the time they're 6; they see violence every day on TV; violent sex against women, etc.
They know about war.

And you're worried about a t-shirt.
Are you a parent? Were you a kid who was placed in front of the TV when mommy needed to do something?

A parent who actually PARENTS is not a helicopter parent. Do you know what a helicopter parent is, or are you using it in a vain attempt to be inflammatory?

A parent's job is to nurture their child, raise them to be decent, productive citizens who respect the law of our country as well as themselves and those around them. We are there to kiss the boo boos when needed, and to teach our kids to toughen up when situation requires it.

People who plotz their children in front of a TV are subcontracting their responsibilities to the media. The folks who gave us Ho's on videos, the gratutious use of word 'b itch" on TV, female celebs whose only claim to fame is money or breasts. The people who do this are not parents.

Parents today have many things to worry about: unsafe products from China, violence in schools, racial hatred, and vulgar messages spewed in any form.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The F-bomb is an angry word and has nothing to do with the natural act of sex.
I completely disagree.
I love to f my buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You are not morally against swearing in front of children??? Why do so many folks so eager to expose innocent children to the ugliness of adult life?
Sorry that you feel that adult life is ugly.
I think it's kind of fun; maybe I'm doing something right.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Again it falls under the Grandma rule: Would you want that shirt worn in front of your grandmother, mother, or daughter?
Er...is there supposed to be some difference between those and one's grandfather, father, or son?

What century are you living in, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies