U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Saturn
1,519 posts, read 1,549,994 times
Reputation: 246

Advertisements

Looks like the Health Bill will now pass.


Support of holdout Democrats assures health bill's passage - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/21/1827824/support-of-holdout-democrats-assures.html - broken link)


Good to see the USA taking it's lead from Europe.



God Bless Europe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2010, 05:50 PM
 
9,879 posts, read 9,810,580 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Looks like the Health Bill will now pass.


Support of holdout Democrats assures health bill's passage - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/21/1827824/support-of-holdout-democrats-assures.html - broken link)


Good to see the USA taking it's lead from Europe.



God Bless Europe.
lol. European health care is hardly the standard of care most Americans expect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, IN
838 posts, read 930,668 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Looks like the Health Bill will now pass.


Support of holdout Democrats assures health bill's passage - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/21/1827824/support-of-holdout-democrats-assures.html - broken link)


Good to see the USA taking it's lead from Europe.



God Bless Europe.

Assuming that you're being sarcastic, I do not understand this strong strain of anti-Europeanism had be so many people in this country. Moreover, I don't understand this notion that if another country does something, we shouldn't do it. Just doesn't make sense; it if works, then why avoid it? Regardless, our healthcare system (which is a complete mess) is still incredibly different from the healthcare systems found in the corporatist and social-democratic states of Europe. Radically different, in fact, even with this reform bill. Really, this is a result of path dependency; the US allowed it's healthcare system to develop largely within the private sector with heavy government regulation for almost a century whereas European states, by and large, had state-led healthcare system development from the get-go. We've developed such a large, well-entrenched, complex public/private healthcare system that it is virtually impossible to transform it into a Social Democratic-style healthcare system.

This, I think, is a shame seeing as the standard of living in many European countries is actually better than the standard of living here in the states.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Highland, CA (formerly Newark, NJ)
6,183 posts, read 5,523,260 times
Reputation: 2150
Feel free to find a more civilized and intelligent continent on the globe...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 PM
 
68 posts, read 41,410 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Feel free to find a more civilized and intelligent continent on the globe...

North America
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,239 posts, read 3,051,370 times
Reputation: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Looks like the Health Bill will now pass.


Support of holdout Democrats assures health bill's passage - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/21/1827824/support-of-holdout-democrats-assures.html - broken link)


Good to see the USA taking it's lead from Europe.



God Bless Europe.
Yea, because the richest nation on earth should not have the LAWS to protect it's citizen's HEALTH!

How dumb is that!. We don't want people to have insurance because we are selfish! As long as I have it, how cares if millions don't. I'm selfish!

Gheez...get a life people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 06:21 PM
 
12,869 posts, read 14,063,517 times
Reputation: 4453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
Assuming that you're being sarcastic, I do not understand this strong strain of anti-Europeanism had be so many people in this country. Moreover, I don't understand this notion that if another country does something, we shouldn't do it. Just doesn't make sense; it if works, then why avoid it? Regardless, our healthcare system (which is a complete mess) is still incredibly different from the healthcare systems found in the corporatist and social-democratic states of Europe. Radically different, in fact, even with this reform bill. Really, this is a result of path dependency; the US allowed it's healthcare system to develop largely within the private sector with heavy government regulation for almost a century whereas European states, by and large, had state-led healthcare system development from the get-go. We've developed such a large, well-entrenched, complex public/private healthcare system that it is virtually impossible to transform it into a Social Democratic-style healthcare system.

This, I think, is a shame seeing as the standard of living in many European countries is actually better than the standard of living here in the states.
are you people even paying attention to the crises throughout europe right now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 PM
 
4,608 posts, read 7,760,766 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
lol. European health care is hardly the standard of care most Americans expect.
It may not be what americans have come to expect but those expectations are gonna be changing real soon. Remember last time you had your driver's license renewed? Better hope you never need a blood transfusion. Especially if a third of the medical profession is going to be bailing... it's gonna be the better third and you know what's on bottom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,239 posts, read 3,051,370 times
Reputation: 1177
Yeah...because everyone knows what HORRIBLE quality of life Europeans suffer!

Give me a break and get a life!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 15,352,588 times
Reputation: 6933
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
lol. European health care is hardly the standard of care most Americans expect.
Most Americans don't have a clue as to how Europe's health care system functions. So they just eat up all the fabricated horror stories made up by greedy, selfich capitalists.
I have direct experience with Europe's healthcare system. It worked fine and cost me nothing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top