Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:22 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I work at a hosital in the boiler room. We began the process of renovating this old building before Obama became president. We have another year or two before it's finished. We're spending a fortune to enlarge patient rooms and move to more energy efficient and enviromentally friendly technology. You would think that having universal healthcare would increase our hospital's income. Well, you ever wonder why so many doctors and hospitals stop accepting medicare/medicade? Once the cost to the federal government starts to go up, the government will begin to set price limits or limits on doctor visits or limits on test or limits on proceedures. As hospital income goes down, so goes staffing, purchasing new technologically advanced medical devices, and building up keep and repair. Our department is cut back to the point that on nights and weekends there is only one person to cover all trouble calls for the entire hospital as well as monitoring the hospital's heating and cooling system, fire alarm system, medical gas system, and our emergency generators.
uh huh....

So let's get this straight...you'd like to continue going down the road you're on now even as you profess to worsening conditions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Umm no one's coverage is going to get reduced....

Ummmmmm

1. Taking $500 billion from medicare reduces the coverage of those in medicare. The seniors vote. The uninsured generally do not vote.

2. There is a transfer of prescription coverage from the medicare drug plan back to private insurance for retirees, costing major manufacturers (like Caterpillar and John Deere) millions in revenues. The WSJ stated in thier weekend edition that this would cut profits 20% for these manufacturers, forcing them to cut jobs and or not hire new personnel.

3. Mandates for healthcare coverage will add additional costs to small buisness, thus resulting in reduced hiring and increased expenses in that arena. Net result- job losses.

Even liberals have to eat, and I don't think that anyone who currently has a job or healthcare coverage is going to like this one bit. Another entitlement program and another load stone around the neck of a dying republic. "The death of the republic occurs when the citizens realize they can vote themselves generous bonuses from the treasury".

Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 AM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Are you saying that YOUR job has precedence over the HC of millions of Americans? You leave little doubt of the generation you are from or your political ideology.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Ummmmmm

1. Taking $500 billion from medicare reduces the coverage of those in medicare. The seniors vote. The uninsured generally do not vote.

2. There is a transfer of prescription coverage from the medicare drug plan back to private insurance for retirees, costing major manufacturers (like Caterpillar and John Deere) millions in revenues. The WSJ stated in thier weekend edition that this would cut profits 20% for these manufacturers, forcing them to cut jobs and or not hire new personnel.

3. Mandates for healthcare coverage will add additional costs to small buisness, thus resulting in reduced hiring and increased expenses in that arena. Net result- job losses.

Even liberals have to eat, and I don't think that anyone who currently has a job or healthcare coverage is going to like this one bit. Another entitlement program and another load stone around the neck of a dying republic. "The death of the republic occurs when the citizens realize they can vote themselves generous bonuses from the treasury".
Doesn't the bill includes a 75-percent discount on generic drugs in Medicare, the same as on brand-name drugs? Medicare plans called Medicare Advantage would see their payments frozen in 2011, then lowered in 2012, correct?

Is it true until the SHOP Exchanges are set up, businesses with 10 or fewer full-time-equivalent employees earning less than $25,000 a year on average will be eligible for a tax credit of 35% of health insurance costs? Do you believe there is no advantage where small businesses will be able to pool together to buy insurance?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:11 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Umm no one's coverage is going to get reduced....

Just the quality and availability.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Just the quality and availability.
lol...So you add 32Million people to a sector and small business, entrepreneurs, big business and schools don't feed that?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...So you add 32Million people to a sector and small business, entrepreneurs, big business and schools don't feed that?

That's right. You add 32 million patients to an industry that already has a doctor and nursing shortage, no amount of taxing will create availability.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
That's right. You add 32 million to an industry that already has a doctor and nursing shortage, no amount of taxing will create availability.
Taxing....lol Taxes support the infrastructure, benefits and privileges you enjoy as a citizen.

Need creates jobs.

Your stockbroker will be happy to see you today, invest in pharma, biomedical, accounting and medical technology...tell him you've got 32Million hunches.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I hope you don't lose your job either. BUT... if you do it's probably because you are bad at your job and not because of "this healthcare bill"
I was going to write a note saying that I hope you don't lose your job for any reason. . . your uneducated and bitter attitude, however, makes me agree with the poster I quoted.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:51 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Geez, the people against this are all over the place with their rhetoric. Some say its a big bailout of the insurance industry and this guy thinks people are going to have some sort of federal insurance program.

Its odd how so many people disagree strongly with something without actually understanding it.
I support this bill, but don't think it goes far enough. I wanted real single payer.

However, it *is* a bailout of the insurance industry. They get millions more customers (contrary to popular belief, not everyone who does not have insurance would become a drain on their profits) and no restrictions on what they can charge and no competition from the Government to keep them honest. You will still have your one, or if you are lucky, two choices for insurance companies only now you will be forced to buy from them or pay a fine. I was OK with the mandate when there was a real public option but the way it is structured now I don't see how this is anything but a big giveaway to United Health et al.

Oh but you say! The insurance companies spent big money trying to defeat the bill. This is true and the parts of it they wanted destroyed (public option, caps on premiums, etc) were removed so it was money well spent.

I know, I know this is just a step towards the real goal. After watching all of the ridiculous nonsense involved with passing this bland, milquetoast "reform" do you really think the Democrats have the stones to pass a meaningful step towards that goal?

The day United Health, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and their ilk are out of business will be a glorious day in the history of the Republic. I just don't think I will live to see it.

The Tea Bagger reaction is priceless though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies