Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times

Advertisements

I don't follow these things closely. If Obamas health bill passes, and I hire someone will I be forced to buy insurance for them and their family?

Also, am I forced to buy it for myself?

I'm asking because business has gotten busy and if I need help, then I want to know if I should forget about hiring someone. I can always buy better tools and contract work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM

113 posts, read 245,289 times
In Obama's Amerika, you need a team of lawyers to run a small business and comply with their mandates. That is because he is a lawyer, like most politicians.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:04 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I'm not entirely sure, but from what I found, no. If you employ more than 50 people and your employees use government-subsidized care, you may have to pay a fee ($2,000 per employee). As for yourself, I think you have to buy some sort of health insurance by 2014 or pay a fine ($95 or 1% of income).

At least, this is what I found using Google.

Health care reform bill 101: What will it mean for business? / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Health care reform bill impact emerging | St. Louis Globe-Democrat (http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/mar/22/healthcare-reform-bill-impact-emerging/ - broken link)

I haven't had a chance to look at it further, but I'd assume that there's also information here:
Health Reform

As things move on, I'd think that there would be some sort of education campaign in terms of what you have to do.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
The bill counts full time employees, meaning just hire part timers, or independent contractors and you wont have to worry about it..

Old 03-22-2010, 01:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Not one employeee. I thnik they limit is over 25 employees. But you will have to or face fine starting in 2014. That is when the major parts begine. Up till then there is 5 billion to help those with pre conditions get healthcare;it paid to insurners to off set the cost of insuring them. mainly right now they can not refuse you is the biggest effective part.The pools themselves start in 2014.But there will be taxes xolected to start in before that as its goign to be veryecxpansive. The main effect I see for most middle class tax payers is in the numbers that will be put inot medicaid. That will raise the funding by states who will have to raise taxes to pay their portiton. Some sate may avoid it by not taking the first few years additional funding that then requires them to keep funding the additional when its stopped.We are talking alot fo people than being income qaulified for medicaid. Once in they stay in until they raise their income to keep federal cost lower in the pool.That is one method to keep cost down in the plan itself but it will raise taqxes at the sate level. Some states got a deal likeLouisna and a few others to avois the state funding increase.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 PM

380 posts, read 642,709 times
The threshold is 50 employees, otherwise you pay a penalty. So what will happen is you'll see businesses near that mark doing the math and figuring out ways to fire enough people to stay below that 50-person threshold.

Or, alternatively, they'll just hire a bunch of part-timers, and more people will have to eek out a living with several p/t jobs.

Either way its woefully unamerican.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I don't follow these things closely. If Obamas health bill passes, and I hire someone will I be forced to buy insurance for them and their family?

Also, am I forced to buy it for myself?

I'm asking because business has gotten busy and if I need help, then I want to know if I should forget about hiring someone. I can always buy better tools and contract work out.
Guess you really don't care about your employees as human beings, but rather like robots there to make you rich.

And did you forget you will get tax incentives.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Guess you really don't care about your employees as human beings, but rather like robots there to make you rich.

I can't really speak for the original poster, but that is a jump to make. If you own your own business and are dealing with a narrow profit margin then you may not be able to afford health insurance for your employees (or employee) and stay in business.

By the way, in reference to tax incentives, this report might be of interest:
http://www.healthreform.gov/reports/...ss2/index.html

Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post

Do you think that every business owner is rich?

Where does this idea come from? Have you been THAT successfully brainwashed?

Many small business owners actually make less than the employees they hire. Owning a business is a constant financial struggle. Your opinion is one that is clearly that of a person who has only ever been an employee, and it's very unlikely that you've ever held any sort of management position.

Try getting some experience on the other side of the fence before making such ignorant and inflammatory remarks.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do you think that every business owner is rich?

Where does this idea come from? Have you been THAT successfully brainwashed?

Many small business owners actually make less than the employees they hire. Owning a business is a constant financial struggle. Your opinion is one that is clearly that of a person who has only ever been an employee, and it's very unlikely that you've ever held any sort of management position.

Try getting some experience on the other side of the fence before making such ignorant and inflammatory remarks.

You are right. I made far less than my middle class job I had before I became self employed. I spent more than I made for 3 years. I made less for maybe 5 years and went without health insurance. I spent over 50k to make my own job. I sacrificed a lot and maybe this year I will do pretty well. I'm not going to apologize for making a lot when I do. I took the risk and I will take the reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies