Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

You know, most Americans felt that the South should have been able to keep their slaves, and Lincoln made the unpopular decision to free the slaves.

Guess he should have listened to the mob, who didn't know about the circumstances, or just didn't care.

Thats where the Republican backers are today, they either don't comprehend the circumstances of poor Americans who can't afford healthcare, or the person whose coverage was dropped just because they got sick,

or......

They just don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

148 posts, read 169,123 times
I am not a Republican kiddos. I vote 3rd party. Either take heed to the words of our forefathers or you will regret it later.

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When will the Republicans get it?

Most Americans are happy about healthcare reform.

Quit the whining and find something useful to do.
Oh really????
CNN poll: 59 percent of Americans oppose just-passed health-reform bill | Jay Bookman
This CNN poll would suggest otherwise..

Old 03-22-2010, 06:34 PM

148 posts, read 169,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You know, most Americans felt that the South should have been able to keep their slaves, and Lincoln made the unpopular decision to free the slaves.

Guess he should have listened to the mob, who didn't know about the circumstances, or just didn't care.

Thats where the Republican backers are today, they either don't comprehend the circumstances of poor Americans who can't afford healthcare, or the person whose coverage was dropped just because they got sick,

or......

They just don't care.

Lincoln was a tyrant who was only interested in advocating COMPLETE control over the states in the union which is against the constitution. He only freed the slaves because his war was so unpopular he needed something to boost his popularity and get a pat on the back.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
LoL, I love people who quote mine parts of statements to match what they like to say instead of the whole quote.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons entrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."

Alexander Hamilton - Wikiquote Federalist Papers, No. 29

Is the full quote, about those in power being supreme without accountability to their constituents. It is preciously against taking control of the government without the will of the people in a revolution to install a dictator over the populace. Which is preciously what revolutionary nuts want, to usurp the voting process and install a dictator they agree with instead of following the democratic process.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

Let me explain this to you. I hope you understand...Most Americans are scared and a few are very greedy. Since they have good health care they are worried this will change so they rather not help out a fellow American because of the unknown. The greedy clan could care less about anybody but themselves. So they want no change because they dont want anybody to have what they have. Its that simple people are voting because of greed and the unknown. Not because they dont its the right thing to do. If you have the best health insurance most Americans would just say leave it alone. This cant be the reason of the polls can it???

Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The same could have been said about the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But it was the absolute right thing to do for America then and the healthcare reform bill is the right thing for America now.

Had slavery been put to a "popular" vote the outcome would have been different although it was morally correct.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Let me explain this to you. I hope you understand...Most Americans are scared and a few are very greedy. Since they have good health care they are worried this will change so they rather not help out a fellow American because of the unknown. The greedy clan could care less about anybody but themselves. So they want no change because they dont want anybody to have what they have. Its that simple people are voting because of greed and the unknown. Not because they dont its the right thing to do. If you have the best health insurance most Americans would just say leave it alone. This cant be the reason of the polls can it???
That is your opinion and at best it is a weak guess.
Some like myself don't trust the numbers that the Gov spews in regards to cost. I have seen very few Gov projects come in at or below cost estimates. In fact the norm is usually double or triple. Bostons Tunnel for example. The F-22, the B-2 the Space shuttle, the International Space Station to name but a few.
Many Americans like myself don't believe in buying anything without knowing the actual cost. I don't want wishful thinking or maybe's.
Yes I have fairly good heath insurance. No I don't begrudge others having the same.
What I question once again is the true costs. Another is that this all started out on how to control our healthcare costs. This Bill does nothing to address the root cause. It does help the Insurance companies. From where I am standing this Bill is nothing more than another giant pork project.
One poster made the claim that the majority of Americans agree with and wanted the bill. I demonstrated that this was untrue.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Republicans the party of NO!! Its ok to be mad guys and gals. We wont hate you any more or less. Votes are votes when you win you do what you want to do not what the LOSERS wants you to do. Thanks
That's right... NO to government-run "health care."

Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader14 View Post
"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents,
there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original
right of self-defense..." Alexander Hamilton.

Guess that says it all.
Don't look now, but Obama was elected by a large majority of voters, many of whom voted for him specifically because he promised health care reform.

It could have been better, but what we got is a good start on UHC, and those of us who voted for President Obama are happy to see results.

Can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve for his second term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies