Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party is currently in control of Congress?
Democratic Party 38 80.85%
Republican Party 1 2.13%
I'm too angry to answer this question honestly 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
CNN poll (which righties keep using only they keep leaving off important details). I "wonder" why?

43% against -- plan too liberal
39% for
13% against -- not liberal enough.

You do the math.

And "bad" is subjective.
the math shows more did not like the bill then did.
polls also show congress disapproval at 80%
Congressional Job Approval

this poll shows Obama job rating combined poor to fair at 59%
Zogby International - Polling, Market Research, First Globals (http://www.zogby.com/features/featuredtables.cfm?ID=171 - broken link)

Health Care Reform
It’s Time to Decide, and 54% of Voters Oppose the Health Care Plan
Health Care Reform - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
the math shows more did not like the bill then did.
polls also show congress disapproval at 80%
Congressional Job Approval

this poll shows Obama job rating combined poor to fair at 59%
Zogby International - Polling, Market Research, First Globals (http://www.zogby.com/features/featuredtables.cfm?ID=171 - broken link)

Health Care Reform
It’s Time to Decide, and 54% of Voters Oppose the Health Care Plan
Health Care Reform - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢
No it doesn't.

You can argue with yourself. This is pointless. You're going to see what you want to see because like so many others here, you're blinded by fear and you need to justify that fear.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
don't forget that a lot of those Democratic "no" votes reflected that fact the the bill did not provide for a public option, or in other ways did not go "far enough" to the left of where we currently are.

I am very glad that Kusinich and others got on the president's bandwagon for this. . . .they have got to know that doing nothing, at this time, would be a big mistake. Now we have a bill, it can be tweaked, a bit at a time, until it make more sense to more people, and really does the job of bringing down health insurance costs. Either a single payer system or a Government Option WILL do the job. . . it just takes longer to get there, but when we do, the conservatives will NEVER be able to repeal it. It will be way too popular.

"...and really does the job of bringing down health insurance costs."

Really?

Care to explain how costs will be reduced without reducing access, rationing, death panels, denied coverage, waiting lists, yearly limits, lifetime limits, pre-existing conditions OK, last minute purchase of coverage OK, etc?

Oh, sorry. I forgot about electronic records. Nevermind.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Of course they don't represent the will of the people. If they did, they would not be the minority party.
The Democrat party will be the minority party come November of this year.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"...and really does the job of bringing down health insurance costs."

Really?

Care to explain how costs will be reduced without reducing access, rationing, death panels, denied coverage, waiting lists, yearly limits, lifetime limits, pre-existing conditions OK, last minute purchase of coverage OK, etc?

Oh, sorry. I forgot about electronic records. Nevermind.
More abortions and more people will nor be allowed the treatment they need. So many more unborn and born can die .brings down the cost when you deny treatment needed

Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
"Welcome to the leftwing Twilight zone"

Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Maybe if the Republicans had spent more time trying to find solutions that would benefit more Americans vs throwing temper tantrums and trying to stonewall the process, they wouldn't need to scramble like a pack of rabid coyotes trying to sue their way out of the enforcement of the bill.

The individual state optout laws against healthcare reform are bogus. This bill will be federal law. These futile attempts that are now being made by the random Republican State AGs is simply political theatre and a truly epic waste of tax payer money.

If a state could simply "opt-out" then they would be able to opt-out of paying the IRS, opt-out of making contributions to Social Security, slavery would still exist in some states, women couldn't vote in others, people would be able to marry their siblings in some states, and on and on.

Pure stupidity on the part of Republicans (and those who believe them)

Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Maybe if the Republicans had spent more time trying to find solutions that would benefit more Americans vs throwing temper tantrums and trying to stonewall the process, they wouldn't need to scramble like a pack of rabid coyotes trying to sue their way out of the enforcement of the bill.

The individual state optout laws against healthcare reform are bogus. This bill will be federal law. These futile attempts that are now being made by the random Republican State AGs is simply political theatre and a truly epic waste of tax payer money.

If a state could simply "opt-out" then they would be able to opt-out of paying the IRS, opt-out of making contributions to Social Security, slavery would still exist in some states, women couldn't vote in others, people would be able to marry their siblings in some states, and on and on.

Pure stupidity on the part of Republicans (and those who believe them)
Doing the correct thing most of the time has eluded the US Government for a long time.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I am glad the bill passed...it will eventually help out my 82-yr old mom-in-law, whom I dearly love, with her Medicare prescription situation, and a lot of others as well...

No, the true 'arrogance' here is bellowing about 'the people' without realizing that not everyone is out in the streets, red-faced and angry, calling names, spouting racial slurs, allegedly spitting on elected officials, because the will of 'the people' wasn't followed...

I am one of those 'people' you reference, and all those 'Doug and Wendy Whiners' out there jumping up and down like scalded cats and yelling at the top of their lungs DO NOT represent me or my views, or those of all the others in FAVOR of the bill...quit subscribing to the theory that just because YOU don't/didn't want the bill (which by the way is your right not to want), it means that EVERYBODY ELSE is supposed to hate it...we're quite capable of independent thought, despite being called 'robots and sheep' because we dare disagree with the GOP/right wing...enough already
You could care less about individual rights, just as long as you get your way right?

Since they represent your "self interest" and make promises to pay off this self interest, it is well and good correct?

I disagree with the mandate, not the need for reform.

Neither YOU or ANYONE ELSE has the right to dictate my freedom. You have NO RIGHT to demand I have health care and you have NO RIGHT to dictate that I pay for another.

You use government as a thug to push your will on others. You specifically trample on the freedoms of others hidden behind claims of "good intentions" and "good will" when it is nothing short of self interested agenda.

That fact that you disregard the Constitution, twist individual rights to your own purpose is disgusting.

So there will be no "enough already". We will fight you in the courts, we will fight at election and if you disregard our rights there, we will fight you in the streets.

Last edited by Nomander; 03-23-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb First Of All, READ My Post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You could care less about individual rights, just as long as you get your way right?

Since they represent your "self interest" and make promises to pay off this self interest, it is well and good correct?

I disagree with the mandate, not the need for reform.

Neither YOU or ANYONE ELSE has the right to dictate my freedom. You have NO RIGHT to demand I have health care and you have NO RIGHT to dictate that I pay for another.

You use government as thug to push your will on others. You specifically trample on the freedoms of others hidden behind claims of "good intentions" and "good will" when it is nothing short of self interested agenda.

That fact that you disregard the Constitution, twist individual rights to your own purpose is disgusting.

So there will be no "enough already". We will fight you in the courts, we will fight at election and if you disregard our rights there, we will fight you in the streets.
I did NOT state that I advocate that I'm trying to dictate YOUR rights or anyone else's for that matter...I am ONE person, with ONE voice and ONE vote---last time I looked, that doesn't put me in much of a position to 'dictate anything' to anybody...

And that 'enough already' line? That was directed at those who want to scream and shout and threaten, instead of wanting to hold a civil debate on the matter...

If you don't/didn't like the bill, or anything else the government under Obama has done, then say so---I've read some of your other posts, and you are downright eloquent on most occasions, and you strike me as someone who can make a point without screaming...

As far as fighting in the courts, or at the polls---no problem, because THOSE are the places to debate this, not 'in the streets'...I sincerely hope that you don't fall in line with those who are contemplating actual violence over this...I am ex-Army infantry, and I love my country just as much as you do, as did my father before me, who also served, and even if the roles were reversed, and the Republicans had won the day, I would NOT resort to street-level expression of my anger...fight it out in the courts, and at the polls, true, and disagree with me, if you must---I have no problem with that...but don't talk about 'in the streets'---that, to me, is going just a bit too far...

PS---and I'm not about trampling on individual rights either...not in the least...but it's kinda sad when I, a fellow American, can become your mortal enemy on a chat forum of all places, because of a disagreement over a bill...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies