Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 05:09 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi "Favorability" CBS News Poll.

Poll: Low Favorability Ratings For Pelosi, Reid - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

These two have been in the news headlines non-stop for more than a year and yet this poll shows 36% of the people they polled "haven't heard enough" and 15% are "undecided" about Pelosi. The numbers are a whopping 50% "haven't heard enough" and 18% are "undecided" about Reid.

And yet "the story headline" is about low favorability ratings for the pair not that more than half of America is asleep at the wheel.

They only sampled, you guessed it, adults. They did not sample voters or likely voters which would have been more relevant and which I'm sure would demonstrate less people walking around in a fog when it comes to opinions about Pelosi and Reid. So they asked 1,059 adults what they thought about Pelosi and Reid and more than half answered the equivalent of "DUH!" Who cares what the doofs think about Pelosi and Reid if they can't be bothered to pay attention? How does polling adults who happen to pick up the phone translate to anything meaningful? Do the pollsters think Pelosi and Reid should sweat these results? I don't.

I know, you think I want to rag on Pelosi and Reid for low favorability ratings but I think this is a good example of drawing stupid conclusions from a poll that is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Reid has 8% favorable and Pelosi has 11% favorable.

I guess the nation really approved of the way they have dealt with obamacare...right?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They only sampled, you guessed it, adults. They did not sample voters or likely voters which would have been more relevant and which I'm sure would demonstrate less people walking around in a fog when it comes to opinions about Pelosi and Reid. So they asked 1,059 adults what they thought about Pelosi and Reid and more than half answered the equivalent of "DUH!" Who cares what the doofs think about Pelosi and Reid if they can't be bothered to pay attention? How does polling adults who happen to pick up the phone translate to anything meaningful? Do the pollsters think Pelosi and Reid should sweat these results? I don't.

I know, you think I want to rag on Pelosi and Reid for low favorability ratings but I think this is a good example of drawing stupid conclusions from a poll that is meaningless.
In terms of an accurate reflection of the national popularity (or not) of the Speaker and Majority Leader, I agree that the poll is meaningless - only the voters in their Congressional district (Pelosi) or state (Reid) get to vote for them.

But one conclusion that I think can be drawn from such a poll is that, unlike the politics-obsessed who read and contribute to this forum (yes, I have my hand up), the majority of people in this country are not wrapped up in the details. They're too busy simply living their lives. Politicians come and go, the power of any political party waxes and wanes, and through it all, life goes on.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Democrats have nothing to worry about. They are beloved

That is if you listen to them lol Whats sad is Bush had a higher approval rating when he left office

Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
CBS is in the tank for the Libs. No chance of honest, objective reporting or polling from that spot.

for Ex.: Sunday's 60 Minutes GLOWING piece about Rahm Emanuel. Disgusting.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Nancy Pelosi is likely to end up being considered one of the most succesful and influential Speakers in Congressional history. Henry Clay, Thomas Reed, Joe Cannon, Nicholas Longworth, Sam Rayburn, Tip O'Neill...that's the sort of company she's rubbing shoulders with...

Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Nancy Pelosi is likely to end up being considered one of the most succesful and influential Speakers in Congressional history. Henry Clay, Thomas Reed, Joe Cannon, Nicholas Longworth, Sam Rayburn, Tip O'Neill...that's the sort of company she's rubbing shoulders with...
Thanks for starting my day off with a big laugh. Pelosi is a corrupt politician. She is caricature.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yeah as an associate snake oil salesperson.

This administration is too "radical" (for lack of a better word at this time) for my taste.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:19 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
In terms of an accurate reflection of the national popularity (or not) of the Speaker and Majority Leader, I agree that the poll is meaningless - only the voters in their Congressional district (Pelosi) or state (Reid) get to vote for them.

But one conclusion that I think can be drawn from such a poll is that, unlike the politics-obsessed who read and contribute to this forum (yes, I have my hand up), the majority of people in this country are not wrapped up in the details. They're too busy simply living their lives. Politicians come and go, the power of any political party waxes and wanes, and through it all, life goes on.
I would think politicians would only want to know how "favorability" might translate to fundraising and re-election, therefore, polling anyone except voters/likely voters (in their districts) seems to be a waste of time. If I was thinking about running against them, this poll would also tell me nothing worth knowing.

They asked other non-Pelosi/non-Reid questions in the poll but again if, for example (making up these numbers to illustrate), 52% of adults polled wanted a public option but only 15% of them are likely voters, who cares what they think about a public option? It doesn't translate to anything meaningful that can be used to make projections about outcomes or direct a politician to act one way or another.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Democrats have nothing to worry about. They are beloved That is if you listen to them lol Whats sad is Bush had a higher approval rating when he left office
And when the Bushies were at the height of their popularity and power, still thinking of what to do with all that "political capital" from the 2004 election, Bill Frist had an approval rating of 28% and Denny Hastert was at 26%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies