Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So we're stuck with having to buy a likely worthless health insurance policy or be fined. Personally, I don't think this will make it out of the Senate, or at best it will be deliberately pitched back and forth by anti-insurance-legislation zealots to infinity. But on the off-chance that this really does become law, if I have to have a gun held to my head now to pay for soon-to-be grossly overinflated health care premiums, if the insurance creeps refuse to pay my treatment for cancer can I sue the &^%$'s? Seems to me it's only fair that I have an easier time in court bringing a case against them for either dropping me or inflating my premiums so much that I'm forced to drop coverage for sheer lack of funds.
Worthless? Ha..what do you think, ACME insurance is going to pop up and be for sale? LOL...it's the same insurance companies! DUH.
You can't afford it because you don't make enough money....you'll get help. Why should we have to pick up your tab if you get sick, go to the emergency room, then can't pay the bill.

And under the law they can't refuse treatment for you cancer, like they can BEFORE HCR WAS PASSED. Where have you been at this time while the debate was going on? Under a rock!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why is that so amazing? Deporting millions of people involves physically rounding them up, moving them south and letting them out across the border, all the while feeding them and providing housing, etc.

Fining people will involve requiring some sort of proof of insurance when you file your taxes.
you mean they are only fining Americans? figures . thats why i dont trust illiberals

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You can already sue your insurance company for a bad-faith refusal to pay for covered treatment. So, yes, you will be able to sue them if they've agreed to cover something and refuse to do so.
Well, if that's the case why are so many millions of people filing medical bankruptcy when they can just sue the insurance co. for refusing to cover their treatment?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Well, if that's the case why are so many millions of people filing medical bankruptcy when they can just sue the insurance co. for refusing to cover their treatment?
Because lots of people don't have insurance, and lots more have insurance that doesn't cover what they need coverage for.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
So we're stuck with having to buy a likely worthless health insurance policy or be fined.
No, you've misunderstood the situation. It's the Republicans, who were arguing for insurance sales across state lines, who were trying to get you worthless health insurance.

Luckily, we aren't going to have to have that.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
No, you've misunderstood the situation. It's the Republicans, who were arguing for insurance sales across state lines, who were trying to get you worthless health insurance.

Luckily, we aren't going to have to have that.
I'm still puzzled, sorry. Cigna right here in Cali can sell me just as worthless a health care policy (and does) as Hartfield Short-Life Guaranteed Health Care. So why does selling across state lines become an issue for the Rethugs?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Because either their insurance didn't cover their ailment, or they didn't have insurance, or their co-pay is really high.

My SIL had colon cancer and for years after the initial surgery she'd have intestinal blockages that would cause her to be hospitalized for 4-5 days at a time. Their insurance has a 20 percent co-pay for hospitalizations. A 4-day hospital stay could cost as much as $80,000. So every time she came out of the hospital they'd owe $20,000. They contemplated bankruptcy, but they were basically judgment proof anyway (they had no assets) so they just pay on it a little at a time. It'll never get paid off.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
So, under the new law, folks who don't want to purchase health insurance can opt out? I know there will be a fine, but a fine may be far less than the premiums. What will prevent people from opting out if they will save $$$ by doing so?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I'm still puzzled, sorry. Cigna right here in Cali can sell me just as worthless a health care policy (and does) as Hartfield Short-Life Guaranteed Health Care. So why does selling across state lines become an issue for the Rethugs?
Because it would work like credit cards. No federal regulation, plus allowing insurance companies to write policies based on the standards of their home states means that states would engage in a race to the bottom to attract the business.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:35 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Quote:
So we're stuck with having to buy a likely worthless health insurance policy or be fined. Personally, I don't think this will make it out of the Senate, or at best it will be deliberately pitched back and forth by anti-insurance-legislation zealots to infinity. But on the off-chance that this really does become law, if I have to have a gun held to my head now to pay for soon-to-be grossly overinflated health care premiums, if the insurance creeps refuse to pay my treatment for cancer can I sue the &^%$'s? Seems to me it's only fair that I have an easier time in court bringing a case against them for either dropping me or inflating my premiums so much that I'm forced to drop coverage for sheer lack of funds.
It became law on Tuesday. They are only working on the tweaks the House wanted. 90% of it is law already.

You can sue anybody in America. Why would this new law change that?

And no, you don't have to buy it, but you will be fined if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies