Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
It became law on Tuesday. They are only working on the tweaks the House wanted. 90% of it is law already.

You can sue anybody in America. Why would this new law change that?

And no, you don't have to buy it, but you will be fined if you don't.
From what I've read, the fine is going to be $750 ($95 the first year). Why wouldn't people opt out, pay the fine and pocket the difference? If I did that, I could pay for routine doctor's visits and save a boatload of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlover View Post
People don't know the facts because they watch Fox.

When you leaving Rush??
When are you leaving HuffPo and MSNBC?

Acting like ones sides new is biased and the other isn't. Give me a break.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 AM

151 posts, read 138,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So we're stuck with having to buy a likely worthless health insurance policy or be fined. Personally, I don't think this will make it out of the Senate, or at best it will be deliberately pitched back and forth by anti-insurance-legislation zealots to infinity. But on the off-chance that this really does become law, if I have to have a gun held to my head now to pay for soon-to-be grossly overinflated health care premiums, if the insurance creeps refuse to pay my treatment for cancer can I sue the &^%$'s? Seems to me it's only fair that I have an easier time in court bringing a case against them for either dropping me or inflating my premiums so much that I'm forced to drop coverage for sheer lack of funds.
If you sue anybody, sue the Government. not the Physician. not his/her fault.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
From what I've read, the fine is going to be $750 ($95 the first year). Why wouldn't people opt out, pay the fine and pocket the difference? If I did that, I could pay for routine doctor's visits and save a boatload of money.
That $95 fine for the first year is probably going to change. There was a Congressman on the news last night saying that the fine would need to be higher in order to "incentivize" people to purchase insurance.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
That $95 fine for the first year is probably going to change. There was a Congressman on the news last night saying that the fine would need to be higher in order to "incentivize" people to purchase insurance.
If the fine is less than the premiums, still makes sense to decline coverage.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
It became law on Tuesday. They are only working on the tweaks the House wanted. 90% of it is law already.

You can sue anybody in America. Why would this new law change that?

And no, you don't have to buy it, but you will be fined if you don't.
I'm watching Nightly News right now. Apparently you're right. The bill did pass the Senate, along with a few minor challenges that I can't quite catch if they are holding it up or not. Getting too confusing for me---like most of what Congress engages in.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
mandated state programs w/o funding, i see a lawsuit comin.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
If the fine is less than the premiums, still makes sense to decline coverage.
Not really. You never know what condition you will be in when you need it. You may not be in a position to run out and get it.
Besides, most people would rather be paying for "something" than "nothing". At least the smart ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies