Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Thanks for the correction.
So you think its ok for a 12 year old to get an abortion without parents consent
I think it's horrible that any 12 year old is having sex, let alone getting pregnant. I feel that if the 12 year old makes the decision to have an abortion, the parent has no right to deny her from having one. I have no problem with parental notification laws though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
You claimed the rate was 10 times greater.
your first link is blocked for m
your second link states for no US countries and thus doe not apply
Your third link does not prove the 10 times mark you claimed.
your claim is not proven
I didn't make the initial claim.
The first link works fine for me.
The poster did not specify that the rates were specific to the U.S. only that the risk was 10 x greater.
Doesn't have to - I offered it as evidence of high maternal mortality in this country - you know, the country with the best health care system in the world.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:01 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
yeah, the young woman did take responsibility for the situation. That sounds very adult to me. Adult is a state of mind not of age.
yes and no.....I know 44 year olds who are very immature, and 15 yr olds who are very mature.....but facts are facts,....BY LAW anyone under 18 is a MINOR

I dont care whether we are talking about an abortion, or handing out tylanol, or having a tatoo artists' clinic set up in the school...the PARENT should have been notified, and given their permission......................................
answer this........................why do I have to give permission for my 16 yr old son to go on a FIELD TRIP, and give INSURANCE info...yet it is ok fro a 15 yr old little girl to get an abortion with out parents permission?????????

Old 03-24-2010, 01:01 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You are going to legitimize the thoughts of a 15 year-old girl over her adult parents?! Most 15 year old girls would try to avoid telling her parents she was pregnant if she could, regardless of the parent's attitude.
Try to think back to when you were a 15 year-old? How mature were you? Whoever this child goes to for help has a moral obligation to immediately call her parents.
End of story!
That's BS. Most 15-year-olds do, in fact, tell their parents. Reluctantly, dreading it, feeling ashamed and afraid, they reach out to their parents because they are in trouble, and that's who you go to when you're fifteen years old and in trouble.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:02 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The poster did not specify that the rates were specific to the U.S. only that the risk was 10 x greater.
Doesn't have to - I offered it as evidence of high maternal mortality in this country - you know, the country with the best health care system in the world.
the claim was the risk was 10 times greater no proof of that claim has bene produced

Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,142 times
Quote:
here are the laws from wahshignton as far as tattos go
Tattooing-Applying a tattoo to a minor under age 18 is illegal and violators are guilty of a misdemeanor.
Prohibits anyone from stating that he or she did not know the minor's age as a defense to prosecution, unless he or she establishes that by a preponderance of evidence he or she made a reasonable attempt to determine the true age of the minor by requiring a driver's license or other picture ID card and did not rely solely on oral allegations.
Tattooing and Body Piercing
So? I know this. Tattoos and piercings are different things. In Washington, minors cannot get a tattoo - even with parental consent. However, minors can legally get body piercings - no parental involvement required at all.

If you're asking if I find this strange - yes, I do.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Quote:
You claimed the rate was 10 times greater.
your first link is blocked for m
your second link states for no US countries and thus doe not apply
Your third link does not prove the 10 times mark you claimed.
your claim is not proven
I was the one who made the claim, and I also stated that I had already proven this in another abortion thread and suggested to use the search feature.

Apparently this was too challenging for someone, so I went ahead and sought the post out myself:

//www.city-data.com/forum/1747085-post241.html

Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
the claim was the risk was 10 times greater no proof of that claim has bene produced
Your wish has been granted - please see my previous post.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You don't know how easy or difficult the decision was for this girl.

She didn't commit a crime.

She took responsibility for her pregnancy when she made the decision to terminate it. You may think it would have been more responsible for her to have continued the pregnancy and to have the child. But YOU aren't HER. YOU don't live her life. YOU don't know what all the issues that were involved.

And YOU certainly do think she deserves a lot of punishment. Luckily, YOU aren't her parent.

We do not measure easy based on each persons individual minds eye reasoning. The reason we do not because there is no limit to the excuses that can be made by applying such. It is unreasonable to use it as support because it is not practical in its evaluation. An abortion is a short period of time, while the event may have effects to the person mentally (which all depends on the person), the fact is, having to deal with the mother and take responsibility of bringing a baby to term and then giving it away for adoption or raising it has far more practical and quantifiable consequences than abortion. Much more responsibility and attention required. That is a fact.

As for it being a crime, well some would certainly contest you on that one.

Though rape and dismemberment of the women in the Yammomamo indian tribe is not considered a crime either, though I doubt you would find many willing to accept that here.

In the end, you are correct. She is not responsible to answer to me, if she were I would hope the amount of responsibility that I had taught her before she made the mistake would understand the difference between responsibility to ones decisions and that of what love is. Love is not blind absolution of responsibility. For if she understood that, she would know that my response to her mistakes would be nowhere near as severe as her failure to be responsible for them. For the responsible pay for their mistakes by taking responsibility to the consequences that come with them and that punishment will teach far more than any disciplinary action I could issue.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
That is your problem, you "feel" all the way to raising brats who disrespect everyone around them, have no responsibility, lack any honor or integrity, and harass and terrorize people with their demands and hands out.
Hey Nomander...Wanna compare kids?

My oldest is a Junior in college. He just returned from a year in Iraq with his National Guard Unit where he received 8 medals. He is leaving the National Guard because Army ROTC just gave him a full scholarship. Oh....did I add that they are paying for him to go to Law School?

I also have three kids in high school. One is on the school's Crew Team. One is in Honors Chorus. One is in band. All are good students. My 10th grader is exceptionally gifted. She started college in the 8th grade. When she graduates from high school, she will be one year from a Bachelors Degree.

My youngest is only 7... so I guess the jury is still out on that one.

None have even been in any kind of trouble other than the occasional "talking in class" type of stuff. Five kids. One about to graduate from college. Three in high school. One in elementary. And never had a problem with any of them.

I wonder why that is???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies