Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 07:57 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
denver (I want to call you Bob),

are you SURE the mother "singed" that form.....many times people attend schools and forms are not signed.....
I didn't personally witness her signing it, but I've read 3 or 4 stories about this now, and they all say the mother signed the form. They all report the mother claims that she didn't realize it meant it covered abortion.

It really doesn't matter if she signed it or not. Read it again. It says, in order for you kid to access the clinic, you, the parent, need to sign this form "except in situation where federal and/or state laws allow youth to access such treatment without parent/guardian consent". It then twice (including the very next sentence) mentions that reproductive heath, including pregnancy, is such a treatment.

Even if the mother hadn't signed the form, her daughter could have used the clinic for the purposes she did. It shouldn't be a secret to the mom - the form she signed makes it crystal clear.

edit: My name's David, but you can call me Bob - I really don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I don't see where this authorizes the clinic to take the child off school property for a potention abortion without parent consent. I see they inform youth of options for outside care, but not arrange for it. They also indicate they assist the youth in discussing this with parents/guardians. I think they went beyond the scope of this agreement, if this is it. Thanks for posting this.
My high school was an open campus. I arranged my schedule so that I had back-to-back periods open for lunch my junior and senior years. Usually, I left campus for 2 or 3 hours. Perhaps this is an open campus, and she left during a long break.

If you read the story again, it was Swedish Medial Center staff who arranged all this for her. No one (school official or clinic staff) took her anywhere. The school could have been (probably was) unaware. This of course raises the issue of whether it's a good idea to let a private hospital run a clinic in a public school.

Mother says Ballard High School health clinic facilitated abortion » My Ballard

"According to the report, the mother signed a consent form, which she assumed was to allow her daughter to visit the clinic. Abortion, she says, isn’t mentioned in the paperwork. The mother tells KOMO that she later found out that staff at the clinic, which is run by Swedish Medical Center, put her daughter in a taxi during school hours to have an abortion.'We had no idea this was being facilitated on campus,' the mother told the news channel. 'They just told her that if she concealed it from her family, that it would be free of charge and no financial responsibility.'"

Last edited by denverkid; 03-24-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
My high school was an open campus. I arranged my schedule so that I had back-to-back periods open for lunch my junior and senior year. Usually, I left campus for 2 or 3 hours. Perhaps this is an open campus, and she left during a long break. If you read the story again, it was Swedish Medial Center staff who arranged all this for her. No one (school official or clinic staff) took her anywhere. The school could have been (probably was) unaware.

Mother says Ballard High School health clinic facilitated abortion » My Ballard

"According to the report, the mother signed a consent form, which she assumed was to allow her daughter to visit the clinic. Abortion, she says, isn’t mentioned in the paperwork. The mother tells KOMO that she later found out that staff at the clinic, which is run by Swedish Medical Center, put her daughter in a taxi during school hours to have an abortion.'We had no idea this was being facilitated on campus,' the mother told the news channel. 'They just told her that if she concealed it from her family, that it would be free of charge and no financial responsibility.'"
The bolded part sounds like BS. I don't really think we have enough information about this incident to really know what went on.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,158 times
OK, so now her family knows. Does that mean it's now no longer going to be free (e.g., there will be financial responsibility)? If so, this 15 yr old isn't going to be the one having to pay for it. It'll be her folks.

Her folks can't be contacted to let them know she's having an abortion, but they can be contacted to pay for said abortion? That seems very backwards to me.

I feel sorry for all involved because it's just a very messy situation all the way around. However, now that it's out there in the open, I'm sure it's going to be a huge wake-up call for a lot of parents with teenagers to have a talk with their kids, as well as speak to the schools their children attend to make sure something like this doesn't happen to their kid.

Like someone else posted, if it were my daughter, I'd want to know so I could be there for her too. It's a very emotional thing to go through. Unless someone's been through the process of having an abortion themselves, they have no idea what it does to you emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

It takes a very long time to heal from the experience, and I'm not talking about physically.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
YOU dont think that a mother should have any say in what a MINOR does??????? religion has nothing to do with this story. pro-life or pro-choice...the simple FACT is the child is still a MINOR

No I DON'T think she should make a life changing decision for her daughter. You are damn right about that! Minor or not. She would be FORCED to be a mother against her will. How the hell is that right!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The bolded part sounds like BS. I don't really think we have enough information about this incident to really know what went on.
It definitely does.

I used to work for Swedish, and in over 3 years there, I never heard of such a financial arrangement for anyone, for any purpose.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
I think this just shows how disconnected too many parents are to life and reality and to their kids. Sure 50 years ago girls became pregnant at 15. And they lived happily ever after? No, I bet they wish it never happened but times were different and women didn't have the choices they have today.
If I have a daughter and she gets pregnant, I will make sure that she knows that whatever she wants to do with her pregnancy, I will support it. Thats what parents are suppose to do. Right now I have a 4 year old boy and I can only advice him to use protection when he starts to have sex, but ultimately it is his and his girlfriends choice.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think this just shows how disconnected too many parents are to life and reality and to their kids. Sure 50 years ago girls became pregnant at 15. And they lived happily ever after? No, I bet they wish it never happened but times were different and women didn't have the choices they have today.
If I have a daughter and she gets pregnant, I will make sure that she knows that whatever she wants to do with her pregnancy, I will support it. Thats what parents are suppose to do. Right now I have a 4 year old boy and I can only advice him to use protection when he starts to have sex, but ultimately it is his and his girlfriends choice.
It's actually scarier when you are the parent of a boy. I told mine that if he got a girl pg his fate would be in the hands of the girl and her family and there was nothing he could do about it. Teaching them the facts about sex only goes so far, teaching them about the aftermath may be more effective.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Then the girl goes home and the parents do not know what is wrong with her or if she has complications. I would hope they could sue but probably not a chance.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Here's an update on this story:

Local News | Abortion referral puts spotlight on school-based health centers | Seattle Times Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies