Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,913,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
But, but, but, but.......what about states' rights?

The state of Washington allows pregnant teens to make a private decision to have an abortion without any requirement of parental notification or consent.

Oh that's right - conservatives throw states' rights out the window when it comes to issues they don't support.

No problem, I don't have to pay for them then do I? Oh wait, but you like to have it both ways right? you like to force a person clothe, feed, and shelter their children and then you want to step in and tell the parents they have no say in the behavior of their children? Sell your double speak to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,913,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
If you don't have kids, please don't breed. I suspect you do based on your post. I feel really, really sorry for them. Folks....this is why kids can't go to their parents when they are in crisis.
That is your problem, you "feel" all the way to raising brats who disrespect everyone around them, have no responsibility, lack any honor or integrity, and harass and terrorize people with their demands and hands out.

I would say the same to you, but I would assume you have already littered the world with such irresponsible progeny.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,386,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Parents don't have total dominion over their children - no matter what the age.

The state of Washington and its residents have made the decision that this is one such instance in which the rights of the minor superseded the rights of the parent.
The age of majority was set by Federal law in 1972 and it is 18, and a Minor may not be bound by a legal contract. anything requiring a signature at the hospital (clinic) is considered a contract. which a MINOR can not legally enter into, under federal law. the state can ADD to that law, (ie making it 21), but they can not take away from that federal law

Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 AM

207 posts, read 961,986 times
There is nothing wrong with what the state did in this situation, they were simply doing their job. The girl obviously sought out help and they were providing her with a service that she asked for. If they didn't provide it they would have been breaking the law in that state so whatever moral decisions they were making were not theirs to make, they were the girls. The only person really at fault here was the mother, who was such a terrible parent that the poor girl felt she couldn't turn to her in such a bad situation.
I just recently watched a Law and Order SVU episode (yes I know they are just stories) where a high school girl from a religious town/family got pregnant and ended up giving herself an abortion by beating on her stomach because she was too afraid to go to her family because she knew they would throw her out on the street. That is what happens when you are an intolerant parent with your head in the sand and your impractical beliefs on your sleeve. Talk about ripped from the headlines, I'm sure this actually does happen sometimes. Very sad.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,819,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So you are saying a 15 year old is ready to become a mother?
My grandmother had children by that age. They all turned out great as did she. Married for 50 + years before her death.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,386,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
how about if the child was 12
child is still a minor.....

Sometimes, we hear the phrase "minor child". In reality, that phrase is an oxymoron. The word "minor" connotes a "child" because any person (not just 12 years old) under the age of majority (18) is a "minor". It is a rare case, indeed, when we would refer to a 1 year old, for example, as a "minor". We normally refer to a 1 year old as a child; but, the reality is, a child is a person under the age of majority. So, it would be correct to say, "That 17 year old is a child" - - although, by the time a child reaches their teen years, we normally refer to such person as a "minor".

Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,812,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Since when is a 15 year old capable and mature enough to make life decisions? How about we allow all 15 year olds the ability to carry a gun to school too, since some people think they are mature enough to know how to handle one.

Parents have a right to know, and agree to, any procedure being conducted on a minor they are gardians over. End of story.
Fifteen yr. olds are NOT allowed to schedule any medical surgery or procedure without parental/legal guardian signed consent with the exception of abortion. Yet, abortion carries real health risks to the girl/woman. Why then, other than political agenda, should the parental/legal guardianship consent be waived for this medical procedure?

This is only going to get worse with the new "health reform" law. Planned Parenthood will actually be allowed to run medical clinics IN the schools. The funding is in the bill for just that provision.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM

971 posts, read 1,290,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
The age of majority was set by Federal law in 1972 and it is 18, and a Minor may not be bound by a legal contract. anything requiring a signature at the hospital (clinic) is considered a contract. which a MINOR can not legally enter into, under federal law. the state can ADD to that law, (ie making it 21), but they can not take away from that federal law
You misunderstand contracts and minors.

Minors MOST CERTAINLY can enter into contracts. Like you pointed out, minors cannot be bound to contracts (most contracts that is - there are types of contracts minors are bound to).

Minor can enter into contracts, they just have the right to leave them (not be bound by them) - essentially at will. That's why many companies choose not to contract with minors.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 PM

894 posts, read 1,124,003 times
The school was wrong, IMO. If something happened to that girl during the abortion, the school would be held liable for the loss of her life.

I understand why the Mom went to the media about it. She wanted to alert other parents that "this could be your kid" ... and IMO, she did the right thing by exposing the fact that her child's school overstepped its boundaries.

If it were my daughter, I'd have been very upset too -- simply because their mistake could have cost her, her life.

I only have a teenage son, but almost lost him twice due to Dr.'s mistakes during surgery. I really do understand where this Mom is coming from.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,518,721 times
I guess people didn't read this on the first page. The law governing age of consent for contraception and abortion is state specific. They did not, according to the law in Washington State, need the mother's consent.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/mch/cahcp/A_of_C.pdf (broken link)

http://depts.washington.edu/adolmed/...ent%20Laws.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies