Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Now who is speculating? We have no idea how easy or hard this decision was for this young lady. If she is, as her mother contests 'pro-life', it may have been the hardest thing she has done so far in her young life.
Now that is silly. I deal with that which is a reasonable assessment. You on the other hand start digging into the "subjective relativity" argument about how we don;t know how that person feels on the inside, she could have a major fear, blah blah blah.

Honestly, can we deal with what is reasonable and practical here or must we jump into philosophical posturing of the state of a mind to justify a position? It is rather an absurd defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
yeah, the young woman did take responsibility for the situation. That sounds very adult to me. Adult is a state of mind not of age.
That's exactly what the members of NAMBLA argue too.

Science would argue against your claim as the human male's brain is not fully developed until sometime around/after the age of 23.

Laws addressing minors exist for their protection; so that they are not taken advantage of nor in general do they suffer the sentencing consequences of adults when they commit violent crimes. The law recognizes that minors do not have the capacity to make decsions and understand the consequences of those decisions. Why don't you?

What we see is the abortion industry taking advantage of and manipulating young girls who, for whatever reason, have found themselves in the position of a pregnancy for which they are unprepared.

Why make excuses and ignore that the abortion procedure has with it real medical risks for these girls? Why dismiss the importance of parental/legal guardian consent? Why support an organization's profiteering off young girls? Abortion is a billion dollar industry that destroys human life for profit.

Is that what "choice" is all about?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
I'm legally blind and use a screen reader to access the Internet. Screen readers don't read PDF files so I have no idea what's contained therein. My comments were based on those already stated in this thread prior to my post.
This is taken from the article linked in the OP:

---T.J. Cosgrove of the King County Health Department, which administers the school-based programs for the health department, says it's always best if parents are involved in their children's health care, but don't always have a say.

"At any age in the state of Washington, an individual can consent to a termination of pregnancy," he said. ---

Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The child isn't absolved of all responsibility. An abortion may have been the easiest solution to her dilemma, but it wasn't an easy thing to do. It was a consequence of her irresponsible sexual behavior. It was the consequence she preferred to being pregnant and going through childbirth. Since pregnancy and childbirth are not risk-free, for anyone, and complications are more likely for children under the age of sixteen, even life-threatening complications, she had a right to have a preference.

She feared that her mother would not respect her preference, and she had good reason to fear that. So she went around her mother.

Her mother's reaction to the events, her distress, aren't being dismissed by most posters. Her mother has every right to be distressed. And the girl's parents will punish her for all of her behavior. Your suggestion that they toss her out is the irresponsible suggestion in all of this. What is responsible about putting a fifteen-year-old on the street? Nothing. They've invested fifteen years of their life in raising this child. Evidently, they still have more work to do to teach her to abide by their values and standards. It's not easy to raise children. But it should be a damn bit harder to abandon them.

Just because there is some baggage with the easy decision, doesn't make it a responsible one. A person who commits a crime and escapes punishment still may live with the guilt of the crime, but it certainly doesn't justify the decision they made to escape it.

A person who chooses bankruptcy because it would be more work than they would like to pay their debt isn't responsible in their decision because they deal with the bad mark on their record for 7 years. It was an easier decision to escape their responsibility, nothing more.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Can you back up that claim with a real life stat
Teenage pregnancy | Babies Having Babies - teen pregnancy a national crisis

Pregnancy and childbirth are leading causes of death in teenage girls in developing countries -- Mayor 328 (7449): 1152 -- BMJ

Doubling of Maternal Deaths in U.S. 'Scandalous,' Rights Group Says | momlogic.com

Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. Apparently the good people of Washington State implemented that into law. It's not like it's a secret.
So yoru ok with a 12 year old going to get an abortion without parents knowing

Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So if she were forced by the mother to carry out the pregnancy and the 15 year old died in labor, who would be held liable? The mother for forcing her daughter to carry out the pregnancy?

You do realize the likelihood of her dying by carrying out the pregnancy is 10 times that of her dying during an abortion - right?
Where at did I say that having the abortion wasn't her right? What I did say is that the school was wrong IMO to arrange for that child to be taken off school grounds for a medical procedure that the parent wasn't informed about prior to it being done.

As a parent myself, I'd want to know and would be very mad if they didn't tell me first. What if that child had other underlying medical conditions that the school wasn't aware of?

My concern was for the medical and physical safety of the child.

The Mother should not have forced her own views on her daughter and instead allowed the daughter to make her own choices.

My son is only 14 and I am pro-life. However, if he ended up fathering a child with a girlfriend at a young age I would not pressure either of them to have the baby. I've told my son that no matter what, I will always be by his side and support him in whatever choices he makes, and love him unconditionally.

That's the kind of conversation this Mom should have had with her daughter way before her child became sexually active.

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
So yoru ok with a 12 year old going to get an abortion without parents knowing
In Washington State? Yup.

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Can you back up that claim with a real life stat
I have posted links to those statistics in other abortion threads on City Data. If you want the hard evidence feel free to use the search feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Ok, so you tell the daughter that it is ok to have the abortion and the procedure goes wrong for some freak reason and she dies as the result. Is the mother liable? The mother allowed it? She signed the paper!

You do realize you are using a fallacious position to claim validity?
You do realize, I was countering the poster who claimed that if she had died, the school would be held liable.

Fact is - the chance of her dying from an abortion are nowhere near her chance of dying from childbirth.

I too think the bigger questions in this topic are why was the girl having unprotected intercourse, and why was she unwilling to loop her mother in?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. Apparently the good people of Washington State implemented that into law. It's not like it's a secret.
And Alaska, and Arizona, and California, and Colorado, and Connecticut, and D.C, and Illinois, and Hawaii, and Montana, and Nevada, and New Hampshire, and New Jersey, and New Mexico, and New York, and Oklahoma, and Oregon, and Vermont. In a lot of the other states parents must be notified, but consent is not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies