U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
 
13,055 posts, read 12,204,919 times
Reputation: 2612

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Unfortunately that is true, and is exactly why these laws are in place.
Actually, this is untrue. The poster you are quoting makes the assumption that the reason the child does not go to the parents is because they will be punished unfairly.

In this example, the child did not go to the parent, but it is an assumption on the part of the poster directly using their own summary of context as to the result of such responsible discourse.

In this example, if my child were to come to me with this, then it is a step to showing they are taking responsibility to it and respecting my authority in the situation. As to the result of such after that, well this would be a discussion of depth between me and the child.

What the poster is doing is promoting irresponsible behavior using false summary and assumptive intent to declare conclusions they have no support for. That is, they are thinking like a child, not an adult.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,481 posts, read 9,563,873 times
Reputation: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What a sad way to hit the lottery.

They are going to make a mint, off the law suit!
Interesting you say this. why do you think the parents will win the lawsuit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 PM
 
971 posts, read 1,206,651 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
There are exceptions to that.
Of course. There are many intricacies in various state and federal laws in regulating contracts - this includes contracts with minors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: California
33,987 posts, read 37,502,313 times
Reputation: 30565
It will be interesting to hear the 15 year old girls side of the story. It doesn't appear any laws were broken, the only thing that is getting folks riled up is the fact that this particular clinic is set up in a public high school so things are getting confusing. One really has nothing to do with the other but logistically it blurs the line.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Long Island
28,461 posts, read 16,379,453 times
Reputation: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
You misunderstand contracts and minors.

Minors MOST CERTAINLY can enter into contracts. Like you pointed out, minors cannot be bound to contracts (most contracts that is - there are types of contracts minors are bound to).

Minor can enter into contracts, they just have the right to leave them (not be bound by them) - essentially at will. That's why many companies choose not to contract with minors.
your spinning your wheels.

As a minor (under age of 18), he/she is not old enough to enter into a legally binding contract without parental consent .

health care (of any type), but especially a SURGERY)) is most definatly a BINDING contract



btw
A contract is simply a legally binding agreement between parties to do or not do something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
 
13,055 posts, read 12,204,919 times
Reputation: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I agree. Despite what her daughter has experienced, somehow it's all about 'mom.'

The responses of some posters really make me wonder - seems that they regard their children as little more than chattel, or along the lines of domesticated animals, born purely to live and serve at their pleasure.
Is it any wonder we still have 'honor' killings in this day and age?
No, it was "all about the daughter" unless you somehow forgot the part about an aborted fetus?

I will speculate as to the childs reasoning. Take it as you wish. She didn't go to her mother because:

1) Telling her mother means she will have to own up to her sexual behavior.

2) It also means she may be required to have the child and put it up for adoption, which means owning up to the responsibility of her mistake.

In the end, all she did was run for the easiest way out which was to dump her child and go on like it is no big deal.

The fact that you are dismissing the mothers response also means you would like the child to be absolved of her responsibility to the actions she made concerning her mother and the abortion.

So, in your position, the child is completely absolved of all responsibility to the situation. And we wonder why there are so many problems with kids these days?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM
 
13,055 posts, read 12,204,919 times
Reputation: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your spinning your wheels.

As a minor (under age of 18), he/she is not old enough to enter into a legally binding contract without parental consent .

health care (of any type), but especially a SURGERY)) is most definatly a BINDING contract



btw
A contract is simply a legally binding agreement between parties to do or not do something.
More specifically, the Necessaries. (food, clothing, shelter, medical, etc..)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,479 posts, read 55,454,274 times
Reputation: 24766
I never told my parents that I started having sex with a neighbor's 14 yr old daughter when I was 12. Our parents would have gone completely nuts. I probably would have recieved another beating. The girl and I used birth control and were very careful. It was a great way to learn about sex.

I agree with the fact and intent of the Washington law. It gives young women control over their own bodies. That is the essence of freedom. They may be the parent's responsibility but they are not the parent's property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,481 posts, read 9,563,873 times
Reputation: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I never told my parents that I started having sex with a neighbor's 14 yr old daughter when I was 12. Our parents would have gone completely nuts. I probably would have recieved another beating. The girl and I used birth control and were very careful. It was a great way to learn about sex.

I agree with the fact and intent of the Washington law. It gives young women control over their own bodies. That is the essence of freedom. They may be the parent's responsibility but they are not the parent's property.
At what age do you think a parent should be informed that their daughter is having a medical procedure
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
25,521 posts, read 18,629,508 times
Reputation: 14469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Actually, this is untrue. The poster you are quoting makes the assumption that the reason the child does not go to the parents is because they will be punished unfairly.

In this example, the child did not go to the parent, but it is an assumption on the part of the poster directly using their own summary of context as to the result of such responsible discourse.

In this example, if my child were to come to me with this, then it is a step to showing they are taking responsibility to it and respecting my authority in the situation. As to the result of such after that, well this would be a discussion of depth between me and the child.

What the poster is doing is promoting irresponsible behavior using false summary and assumptive intent to declare conclusions they have no support for. That is, they are thinking like a child, not an adult.
We are all making assumptions based on the little bit of information provided in the OP's link, where, you will recall, the only side of the story published is the mother's.
As has been pointed out, this woman chose to publicize a personal event and made no effort to provide any context other than her 'outrage.'

So, why didn't her daughter go to her?

The poster I quoted has as much right to speculate about the reasons as any one of us, and, sadly, there are enough documented cases of children and young people suffering horrible consequences for their truthfulness that the poster's supposition is a perfectly reasonable one.
This young woman was faced with a decision, and after weighing all possible outcomes, chose the path that was right for her. Sounds very responsible to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top