Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,935,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Since when is a 15 year old capable and mature enough to make life decisions? How about we allow all 15 year olds the ability to carry a gun to school too, since some people think they are mature enough to know how to handle one.

Parents have a right to know, and agree to, any procedure being conducted on a minor they are gardians over. End of story.
She signed the consent form.

Moral of the story....know what you are signing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,049,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I don't think the mother should have any say in her daughters decision to have an abortion. Her religious views is not shared by daughter. It is too bad her daughter had to go behind her back but it is understandable. The mother seam clearly unstable.
agree.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,912,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Don't you think this girl did take responsibility for her actions?
No, if she was responsible, then she would understand that she was not in a position to make such decisions and went to her mother. She has a responsibility to her parents to which clothe her, feed her, and provide shelter for her. The parent is even legally responsible for the child, and if this were any other issue, the state would have been jumping the gun to hold the parents accountable, but because this is political topic, one of a hot bed to which people arrogantly impose their opinion on, it was acceptable.

The child mislead her mother and went behind her back. The state encourages such behavior and as you can note, many on this board applaud the action of going behind her back.

So no, irresponsible action of pregnancy, which resulted in an irresponsible action of informing, and resulted in an irresponsible action of dealing with the consequences of ones actions. This child is irresponsible on so many levels that it is likely she will be yet another irresponsible addition to a society that is in desperate need of responsible people.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 AM

971 posts, read 1,290,607 times
But, but, but, but.......what about states' rights?

The state of Washington allows pregnant teens to make a private decision to have an abortion without any requirement of parental notification or consent.

Oh that's right - conservatives throw states' rights out the window when it comes to issues they don't support.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,384,018 times
Quote:
I don't think the mother should have any say in her daughters decision to have an abortion. Her religious views is not shared by daughter. It is too bad her daughter had to go behind her back but it is understandable. The mother seam clearly unstable.
YOU dont think that a mother should have any say in what a MINOR does??????? religion has nothing to do with this story. pro-life or pro-choice...the simple FACT is the child is still a MINOR

Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 AM

971 posts, read 1,290,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
YOU dont think that a mother should have any say in what a MINOR does??????? religion has nothing to do with this story. pro-life or pro-choice...the simple FACT is the child is still a MINOR
Parents don't have total dominion over their children - no matter what the age.

The state of Washington and its residents have made the decision that this is one such instance in which the rights of the minor superseded the rights of the parent.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not confusing love with responsibility.

I'm saying that when you are angry and disappointed and hurt by your 15-year old daughter, you don't disown them, or send them out on the street to live as a show of love.

I'm saying that what happened to this mother would be devastating. And that if I were in that situation, out of the chaos of emotions that I would be experiencing, that I would be working through, the one anchor I would choose to hold onto would be love for my child. I would not discard that child, which is what "boot meet arse" would be tantamount to. I would hold on to that child, and think of what she's been through, and how difficult her situation must have been, how fearful she must have been, not to come to me. And I would forgive, and hold her close, and help her in any way I could. Because, for me, what's most important in this situation is the child that's living, the child I'm still responsible for, the child whom I've tried to guide and teach, and whose life I've celebrated year after year after year. That child has been through something traumatic. And while I would mourn my grandchild, a life that was never realized, the loss of that child would only make me recognize even more how precious the life is of the child I do have.

You are welcome to raise your child as you see fit, I will not demand otherwise.

There is no anger, my mention is of the directness to which it would be applied.

Odd that you expect such compassion given to a child who took on the responsibilities of their choice and then absolve them of extending the same to the child they aborted. /shrug

Old 03-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Well then, they can pay their own way because I do not think that a person I clothe, feed, shelter, pay for in every way is in a position of authority to dictate to me what "say" I might have unless they are willing to take on the responsibilities I took on to allow them such disrespectful demands.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,191,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
agree.
how about if the child was 12

Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,881,164 times
Quote:
Sorry, foot to arse, there is the door. If you are old enough to go around me, disrespect me in this way, then you are old enough to earn your own living and make those decisions yourself.

Since the state was so intrusive, the state can take care of her.
If you don't have kids, please don't breed. I suspect you do based on your post. I feel really, really sorry for them. Folks....this is why kids can't go to their parents when they are in crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies